George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Some Turbo thoughts?

I have a loaner '19 JLU Sahara 2 liter I guess Turbo just like my 2018 JLUS except for a few options. I do have a 3.6 V6, don't think I'll trade!

Turbo is OK, seems perhaps better gas mileage at least city stuff? V6 seems smoother and better pick up, normal stars at least. until the Turbo kicks in, makes some sense I guess, you can tell that it is a Turbo! ESS seems smoother on the 2019 Turbo, perhaps they've updated? However still not as smooth ESS start as our Cherokee TH almost can't even hear that start!.

I think if I had it to do over I'd still go V6! By the way the steering isn't a problem with my 2018 but I think they've made some improvement in it?? This of course is short term, 2 or 300 miles. It is a Twill soft top and surprisingly quiet!!

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The turbo has BSG instead of ESS, so it is a change that should make stop/start cycles much smoother and with higher starting torque.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Some Turbo thoughts?

I have a loaner '19 JLU Sahara 2 liter I guess Turbo just like my 2018 JLUS except for a few options. I do have a 3.6 V6, don't think I'll trade!

Turbo is OK, seems perhaps better gas mileage at least city stuff? V6 seems smoother and better pick up, normal stars at least. until the Turbo kicks in, makes some sense I guess, you can tell that it is a Turbo! ESS seems smoother on the 2019 Turbo, perhaps they've updated? However still not as smooth ESS start as our Cherokee TH almost can't even hear that start!.

I think if I had it to do over I'd still go V6! By the way the steering isn't a problem with my 2018 but I think they've made some improvement in it?? This of course is short term, 2 or 300 miles. It is a Twill soft top and surprisingly quiet!!

Go Jeep!!!

I wish Iā€™d had the opportunity to drive a 3.6. I was leaning that way, but my local dealer only had 2.0s on the lot. No DFW dealers (130 miles away) could beat his price, and I was ready for a new ride. And I like buying small-town-local.
Love the turbo so far. I even like the lag when I stick it. Itā€™s kinda like a launch countdown...that sucker gets up and goes now!

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
mwilk012,

Yup, smoother than 2018, still not as good as ESS in 2015 Trailhawk and that has only one battery unlike my JLU!

What is BSG?

My ESS stopped working in the Trailhawk, don't miss it at all, battery still up to spec so I'll just enjoy, off regular warranty so I'm good!

I think the fuel economy on the Turbo would be up from the V6, I average (more highway than city) about 21/22 with warmer weather and "summer gas" at 65+ mph. I still like the V6, but used to it! My 2012 had a Pentastar 3.6 V6 and it was great.

Thanks, Go Jeep!!!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
mwilk012,

Yup, smoother than 2018, still not as good as ESS in 2015 Trailhawk and that has only one battery unlike my JLU!

What is BSG?

My ESS stopped working in the Trailhawk, don't miss it at all, battery still up to spec so I'll just enjoy, off regular warranty so I'm good!

I think the fuel economy on the Turbo would be up from the V6, I average (more highway than city) about 21/22 with warmer weather and "summer gas" at 65+ mph. I still like the V6, but used to it! My 2012 had a Pentastar 3.6 V6 and it was great.

Thanks, Go Jeep!!!
A 48vDC motor/generator replaces the alternator. Instead of starting via the 12V starter motor on the flywheel at each stop/start cycle, the motor/generator uses the belt to turn over the engine, using power solely from the 48V battery.

Sponsored

jerrygcoffey

First Name
Jeramiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0T w/ eTorque
Occupation
Software Engineer
A 48vDC motor/generator replaces the alternator. Instead of starting via the 12V starter motor on the flywheel at each stop/start cycle, the motor/generator uses the belt to turn over the engine, using power solely from the 48V battery.
This is why it is ridiculous to say that auto stop/start will kill your starter any faster, correct?

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Definitely need another thread on turbo vs. six it hasnā€™t been beat to death enough yet.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
This is why it is ridiculous to say that auto stop/start will kill your starter any faster, correct?
On the BSG equipped engines, yes. The 3.6 ESS uses the normal starter which does increase wear, but thatā€™s what it was made for.

Dadgummit

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited -- 1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible
Definitely need another thread on turbo vs. six it hasnā€™t been beat to death enough yet.
**Spoiler Alert**

If they are a JL owner:
If someone chose the v6 instead of the turbo they will explain that the v6 is the best engine ever produced and that the 2.0 sucks.

If someone chose the 2.0 instead of the v6 they will explain that the 2.0 is the best engine ever produced and that the v6 sucks.

If they have not purchased yet:
If someone doesn't like new technology they will say chose the v6 and tell you the turbo sucks.

If someone likes new technology they will say chose the turbo and tell you the v6 sucks.

I just saved you hours of reading!!

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
**Spoiler Alert**

If they are a JL owner:
If someone chose the v6 instead of the turbo they will explain that the v6 is the best engine ever produced and that the 2.0 sucks.

If someone chose the 2.0 instead of the v6 they will explain that the 2.0 is the best engine ever produced and that the v6 sucks.

If they have not purchased yet:
If someone doesn't like new technology they will say chose the v6 and tell you the turbo sucks.

If someone likes new technology they will say chose the turbo and tell you the v6 sucks.

I just saved you hours of reading!!
You forgot one important point:
If your a democrat it's Trumps Fault
If you are republican it was Obamas fault

Sponsored

OP
OP
wolfdog

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It wasn't Obama's fault?????

No wonder my ESS stopped working!

Appreciate the explanation above on ESS not working on my Trailhawk, but is it's not working what's the harm, any??

Go Jeep!!!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I even like the lag when I stick it. Itā€™s kinda like a launch countdown...
What you are describing is actually referred to as "boost threshold". The 2.0 has very little turbo lag.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Boost threshold?

Iā€™m experiencing BOOST THRESHOLD???

No way! Really?

WOW!! Sounds like NASA stuff.

I have described my 8-speed 2.0 Turbo JL as a ā€œrocket shipā€ more than once on these forums.

Turns out I was right?

But by the way...what then, is turbo lag?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Correct on the 2.0. The 3.6 still uses the 12V starter for its ESS. That particular starter is a heavy duty one compared to the JK starter.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
But by the way...what then, is turbo lag?
I'm not an expert, but I will explain how I understand it:

Boost threshold is the RPM at which the engine is pumping enough air for the turbo to produce boost. Below this RPM it is impossible for boost to be created, since there is not enough exhaust flow. At the boost threshold, the turbo might not be lagging behind the exhaust flow (unless of course it suffers from turbo lag).

Turbo lag refers to the delay in getting the turbo to produce boost. This can happen at any RPM. If you hold a specific RPM & load, and the power increases, then the turbo is lagging.

Sponsored