Old School Jeep Owner vs new Jeep owner Logic

Queen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
Occupation
Reeee-tired!
Old school: loading a pile of tanks and stinky scuba gear in the back of an old CJ, putting down some plywood to cover the rust holes, and just hosing it out after unloading.

New school: RAIN aaaaahhhhh!!
Sponsored

Austin TX Jeep Rubicon

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Lawyer
Old school
  1. It goes where I need it to go when I need it to go there
  2. Best friend to have with you in the snow, sand, mud or sunshine
  3. Itā€™s running therefore itā€™s reliable
  4. Squeaks and rattles just means turn the volume up or push harder on the gas peddle
  5. When the top is off Iā€™m always the center of attention and Iā€™m always the center of attention
  6. Jeep wave
New school
  1. It doesnā€™t handle like my Corolla, BMW, Volvo, etc. so thereā€™s something wrong with it
  2. My steering wheel and seat warmer comes on automatically. After my workout in the morning itā€™s too hard for me to touch a couple buttons. Jeep engineers are idiots for not letting me turn off that feature!
  3. Itā€™s not perfect and the dealer wonā€™t fix it
  4. Itā€™s a 4 wheel drive?
  5. Itā€™s shaped like a brick and I only get 20MPG with 4.10s, whatā€™s a 4.10?
Love this! Im so tired of reading these forums and seeing all the people complain about every little thing that is not 100% perfect merely because they paid $50,000 for it.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Iā€™m in Costa Rica right now on vacation. Iā€™ve been driving alternatively a 2818 Land Cruiser Platinum and a 2018 Lexus LX580.
Either one of them 3 times the price of my JLUR. More bells and whistles than I can handle, specially that Lexus. Still I wish I was driving my Jeep. Iā€™m telling you, it will be a sad day the one Jeep replaces the stick to select 4wd for a button.
From my old school mind, the only thing the Jeep could envy from those other guys is either one of those engines.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I think I have this figured out,

Old school - my 90 YJ, stupid front axle disconnect

New school - my 18 JL, stupid front axle disconnect.

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Old school 1977 cj7 golden eagle
1 driving to big bear to ski wind blows the wire frame doors open while driving get a bigger bungiie cord to close door
2 cute chick next to me on freeway asks me tomgo get a drink with her via sign language

New school
Old fat guy in tank top and flip flops says " yo bro i used to have a jeep but it had plastic u joints.... cool jeep"
Pinched nerve in back ........... seat heat

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Old School Jeep owner (my brother in his younger days):
- found a non-running CJ for sale in newspaper (actual paper) classifieds for ~$1K
- borrowed trailer from friend and got it home
- found out engine is trash, steering parts missing, driveshaft welded back together crooked, one axle shaft twisted, broken leaf spring, holes rusted thru floor, windshield cracked, seats eaten by rats, wiring made by rats holding hands, sealed beam headlights- never mind.
-Worked for years on Jeep, shoehorned a smallblock Chevy, granny low 4 speed, transfer case, and Dana 44s, 35s, GM power steering, etc., basically all mechanical parts were replaced. Still looks like crap, but runs good. Rides like crap with leaf springs. Noisy, hot.

New School Jeep owner (me with more money in old age now):
-shopped the internet for a good deal on a new JL Unlimited Rubicon (Stock with 4.10 Dana 44s, lockers, 4:1 lo range, sway disco, 33s, etc).
-Got the upgraded 8.4" stereo with active noise suppression, automatic climate control, carpeted floor mats, cruise control, and hardtop.

-Immediately started bitching about the steering.
-Griped and cussed when the visors fell down
-pissed and moaned about the halogen headlights (which are light years (pun) ahead of all the old sealed beam cars I drove for more than half a mil miles years ago. )

In the end, a bit of my old school blood must still be in me. I fixed the steering myself on my nickel (~$1k) and my work. Same with the visors. Recently installed Morimoto 2 stroke LED bulbs ($200).

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if you paid $60k I'd be upset with myself then at the JL. I'd put you in with the Land Rover crowd that pay a lot more for a lot less in quality, resale value and smarts.
It's in my blood apparently? $60K JLUR sitting in the garage next to my wife's LR4 ...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Old School Jeep owner (my brother in his younger days):
- found a non-running CJ for sale in newspaper (actual paper) classifieds for ~$1K
- borrowed trailer from friend and got it home
- found out engine is trash, steering parts missing, driveshaft welded back together crooked, one axle shaft twisted, broken leaf spring, holes rusted thru floor, windshield cracked, seats eaten by rats, wiring made by rats holding hands, sealed beam headlights- never mind.
-Worked for years on Jeep, shoehorned a smallblock Chevy, granny low 4 speed, transfer case, and Dana 44s, 35s, GM power steering, etc., basically all mechanical parts were replaced. Still looks like crap, but runs good. Rides like crap with leaf springs. Noisy, hot.

New School Jeep owner (me with more money in old age now):
-shopped the internet for a good deal on a new JL Unlimited Rubicon (Stock with 4.10 Dana 44s, lockers, 4:1 lo range, sway disco, 33s, etc).
-Got the upgraded 8.4" stereo with active noise suppression, automatic climate control, carpeted floor mats, cruise control, and hardtop.

-Immediately started bitching about the steering.
-Griped and cussed when the visors fell down
-pissed and moaned about the halogen headlights (which are light years (pun) ahead of all the old sealed beam cars I drove for more than half a mil miles years ago. )

In the end, a bit of my old school blood must still be in me. I fixed the steering myself on my nickel (~$1k) and my work. Same with the visors. Recently installed Morimoto 2 stroke LED bulbs ($200).
You got exactly what you expected from a $1,000 Jeep. You are not getting what you expected from a $60,000 Jeep.

It is all about expectations...and getting our moneyā€™s worth.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I donā€™t really like about modern vehicles in general is how finicky all these complex electronics are.

I drove a total of 6,000 miles in 2020, thanks to COVID and working from home. I put 2,000 of those miles in the first 2 months of the year.

With the little driving I do now, and the free time I have working from home: the day the warranty ends on my JL, a part of me wants to sell it and find me an old Jeep to rebuild.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
One thing I donā€™t really like about modern vehicles in general is how finicky all these complex electronics are.

I drove a total of 6,000 miles in 2020, thanks to COVID and working from home. I put 2,000 of those miles in the first 2 months of the year.

With the little driving I do now, and the free time I have working from home: the day the warranty ends on my JL, a part of me wants to sell it and find me an old Jeep to rebuild.
If I had the inclination for such a project, I think I'd get a early JKU and build it with an all aluminum LS (~400hp), 6 or 8 speed auto, either a Rubicon Xfer case or an Atlas, aftermarket Dana 44s. I would keep the cab electronics simple and isolated from the engine harness. No heated seats and built-in Nav. So, I'd probably start with a Sport.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You got exactly what you expected from a $1,000 Jeep. You are not getting what you expected from a $60,000 Jeep.

It is all about expectations...and getting our moneyā€™s worth.
You're spot on about that....
But this thread is about some light self-deprecating humor.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
My old TJ had a five gallon bucket for a drivers seat, 2-4psi oil pressure, and couldnā€™t go over 60mph without shaking so hard I thought my friends and I would surely die.

god I loved that thing.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like I have aged like the Jeeps have. My 75 CJ5 I loved at the time. I was young and single and lived in New Mexico near the mountains or near White Sands, so at almost every turn I could go places others wouldnā€™t.

Then Kids came along and Military Service took me places. Waited till 2003 to buy a WJ and it was way different. Missed my CJ for itā€™s simplicity.
My 2013 JK was real close to my CJ. Very basic, much better soft top and so much fun with the grand kids with the doors and top off. It was still a capable and fun vehicle.

Growing older and working a semi retired job took me to Subaru. Such a difference from any of my Jeeps. Too cloistered from the elements and I should have ordered the sunroof as some form of exposure to the elements. That is my winter time everyday driver, and for the most part, the trails I enjoy now in my late 60ā€™s I can take either my Subi or my new Jeep.

When I went looking for a new Jeep, I started with the Jeep website and tried to see what a base jeep would be like. I wanted the hardware like a Dana 44 with limited slip, a bigger alternator and I still wanted a stick. I didnā€™t want all the electronic nannies that the Subi had in it.

Decided to go slightly used with no or few mods for the JL. In my area of NY State it is a difficult find for a stick for sure. And no or few mods tough to find also.

But I do have my 2020 and so far I am pleased. Could it be better? Of course! Is it difficult to work on? Maybe so but Iā€™ll do what I can, when I can. Cold concrete floors do not bode well for my aching body.

Would I have been better off with a dressed out New Rubicon? I donā€™t think so. I have nothing against more expensive Jeeps. It is just that I wanted the most basic Jeep I could find with what I wanted on it while still being different, and that is what I have.

So I guess I am still old school, but a more comfortable OLD SCHOOL!

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Seems like I have aged like the Jeeps have. My 75 CJ5 I loved at the time. I was young and single and lived in New Mexico near the mountains or near White Sands, so at almost every turn I could go places others wouldnā€™t.

Then Kids came along and Military Service took me places. Waited till 2003 to buy a WJ and it was way different. Missed my CJ for itā€™s simplicity.
My 2013 JK was real close to my CJ. Very basic, much better soft top and so much fun with the grand kids with the doors and top off. It was still a capable and fun vehicle.

Growing older and working a semi retired job took me to Subaru. Such a difference from any of my Jeeps. Too cloistered from the elements and I should have ordered the sunroof as some form of exposure to the elements. That is my winter time everyday driver, and for the most part, the trails I enjoy now in my late 60ā€™s I can take either my Subi or my new Jeep.

When I went looking for a new Jeep, I started with the Jeep website and tried to see what a base jeep would be like. I wanted the hardware like a Dana 44 with limited slip, a bigger alternator and I still wanted a stick. I didnā€™t want all the electronic nannies that the Subi had in it.

Decided to go slightly used with no or few mods for the JL. In my area of NY State it is a difficult find for a stick for sure. And no or few mods tough to find also.

But I do have my 2020 and so far I am pleased. Could it be better? Of course! Is it difficult to work on? Maybe so but Iā€™ll do what I can, when I can. Cold concrete floors do not bode well for my aching body.

Would I have been better off with a dressed out New Rubicon? I donā€™t think so. I have nothing against more expensive Jeeps. It is just that I wanted the most basic Jeep I could find with what I wanted on it while still being different, and that is what I have.

So I guess I am still old school, but a more comfortable OLD SCHOOL!
Thanks for sharing!
Your last sentence applies to me as well šŸ˜‰
Sponsored