Sponsored

Old School Jeep Owner vs new Jeep owner Logic

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I am in between the so I think both are right, but its interesting to see 2 cultures collide in the amazing new Wrangler JL.

Old School
My brother has been driving his CJ for over 30 years, and it is never at fault or can be questioned. His logic is a far cry from the new wave of buyers logic

The CJ was bought used with no top.
Rain: not the Jeep's fault drive faster and get a rain coat.
Wind: get a real hair cut, girl friends not wanting pony tails were not keepers

Engine trouble:
Obviously not Jeep's fault, this bad boy needed a V8 obviously and deserves it

Wind noise complaint:
Who knows, while walking home you can assume it was a dumb comment

Kids cant get into back without a step:
The kids knew better and learned to climb up a tire or go to back and jump on the rear jump seat. The Jeep has done its job to make kids strong.

Dogs:
Oddly they also learned to jump in unassisted.

Anything else:
Obviously not Jeeps fault, Jeep deserved an upgrade to handle more extreme terrain is all.

New School
My evil step Mom wa lookign at new wrangler, and all the questions were complaints based on my Dad's old Wrangler, and wind noise, gas milage, on road ride quality (bouncing around!)

I just told her to buy a Lincoln Fluffy Wagon 2.0, seriously if wind is your number one issue... why look at a Wrangler!!!

Now there are lot with a less silly list, but they often are so far removed from the thinking old schoolers have its interesting
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Yeah sometimes I think back to my YJ (which was considered a soft Jeep at the time by the CJ crowd) and try to imagine what the forums would be like if they were around.

Would people be like "On a $15,000 vehicle the zippers and snaps should work!"

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Old school
  1. It goes where I need it to go when I need it to go there
  2. Best friend to have with you in the snow, sand, mud or sunshine
  3. It’s running therefore it’s reliable
  4. Squeaks and rattles just means turn the volume up or push harder on the gas peddle
  5. When the top is off I’m always the center of attention and I’m always the center of attention
  6. Jeep wave
New school
  1. It doesn’t handle like my Corolla, BMW, Volvo, etc. so there’s something wrong with it
  2. My steering wheel and seat warmer comes on automatically. After my workout in the morning it’s too hard for me to touch a couple buttons. Jeep engineers are idiots for not letting me turn off that feature!
  3. It’s not perfect and the dealer won’t fix it
  4. It’s a 4 wheel drive?
  5. It’s shaped like a brick and I only get 20MPG with 4.10s, what’s a 4.10?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Old school
  1. It goes where I need it to go when I need it to go there
  2. Best friend to have with you in the snow, sand, mud or sunshine
  3. It’s running therefore it’s reliable
  4. Squeaks and rattles just means turn the volume up or push harder on the gas peddle
  5. When the top is off I’m always the center of attention and I’m always the center of attention
  6. Jeep wave
New school
  1. It doesn’t handle like my Corolla, BMW, Volvo, etc. so there’s something wrong with it
  2. My steering wheel and seat warmer comes on automatically. After my workout in the morning it’s too hard for me to touch a couple buttons. Jeep engineers are idiots for not letting me turn off that feature!
  3. It’s not perfect and the dealer won’t fix it
  4. It’s a 4 wheel drive?
  5. It’s shaped like a brick and I only get 20MPG with 4.10s, what’s a 4.10?
Had me rolling bro! But seriously it is shaped like a brick and I love it lol

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I'm having an identity crisis! This is my first Jeep but I ordered the base model with a D44 rear axle as the only option. Am I old school or new school?

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I had a CJ2A and a 50’s CJ5 L-head. The CJ 5 was my first car when I was 17. When I spun a main bearing on the motor my dad asked “do you have the money to have that fixed?” And when I said no, he said “well you better learn how to do it yourself”. They were both great. Lots of fun, and great learning experiences becuase we were always fixing stuff and adding new things. Not too safe thought. I’m amazed I never killed myself in a roll-over.

The new Rubicon is a completely different animal AC, air bags, U-connect. I doubt I’ll ever do any hard banging off reading with it. Probably just trails and beaches. But that’s ok. If only it were EMP proof It’d be the perfect bug-out mobile.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Old school: if the wheels are spinning then we are on good terms.
New school: OMG there is a wrinkle in my leather seat and I am calling lemon lawyers.

j/k there are some serious QA/QC issues with JL, and people are allowed to be upset.

Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
LOL! My brother has been ACTUALLY driving his CJ-7 for 30+ years now. It was my dad's but he hated it for being so squirrelly in the snow in the city. Brother loves it an it's now modded. Me - bought a '03 TJ Freedom Edition and was laughed at how "fancy" it was. Both brothers said "it's not a REAl Jeep". But I had fun driving off road with them (the CJ-7 and other brother having Ford F250).

Fast forward. My younger brother now has a TJ that's been modded. I figured when I bought this I'd be up against HELL with all it's features and their CJ-7 and TJ. NOPE. They love it and know what it's capable of. They actually like it and are in awe. Maybe we just all got older? All 3 of us are going to have pictures taken this Spring/Summer showing all 3 at different angles and such in the mountains. Can't wait!

In the end - old school and new school just mean age difference and experiences. I remember having to pull a choke, vapor lock, not having washer fluid (it was optional on my 65 Mustang), having to get out and lock in the hubs for 4 wheel, carburetors, and the list goes on and on. Ha ha! But I like the new stuff and respect the old stuff.

OP
OP
PavementWarrior

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
LOL! My brother has been ACTUALLY driving his CJ-7 for 30+ years now. It was my dad's but he hated it for being so squirrelly in the snow in the city. Brother loves it an it's now modded. Me - bought a '03 TJ Freedom Edition and was laughed at how "fancy" it was. Both brothers said "it's not a REAl Jeep". But I had fun driving off road with them (the CJ-7 and other brother having Ford F250).

Fast forward. My younger brother now has a TJ that's been modded. I figured when I bought this I'd be up against HELL with all it's features and their CJ-7 and TJ. NOPE. They love it and know what it's capable of. They actually like it and are in awe. Maybe we just all got older? All 3 of us are going to have pictures taken this Spring/Summer showing all 3 at different angles and such in the mountains. Can't wait!

In the end - old school and new school just mean age difference and experiences. I remember having to pull a choke, vapor lock, not having washer fluid (it was optional on my 65 Mustang), having to get out and lock in the hubs for 4 wheel, carburetors, and the list goes on and on. Ha ha! But I like the new stuff and respect the old stuff.
I know the feeling, I was already hearing second hand stories from my mom how these new jeeps have too much electronics and are HUGE now...
JLs are doing well off road and people are seeing it so alot of the flack went away.

JL really is a great mix of old school and new school, even if the uconnect resets 1 in 4 sttartups.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
One thing old school and new school have in common is that they both have poor quality control and can leave you stranded on the side of the road. In all, I have never seen a group of people more resourceful and creative than Wrangler owners. Especially on the trail. I have seen MacGyvered fixes on the trail that still make me laugh.

To sum up, it is helpful for all wrangler owners to know how to turn a wrench!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I just told her to buy a Lincoln Fluffy Wagon 2.0,
:cwl::cwl:

Would people be like "On a $15,000 vehicle the zippers and snaps should work!"
I can imagine the outrage.... lol

So this being my first Jeep I would be considered to be "New School" but having driven almost every HMMWV variant, I can say that the Jeep is nothing to complain about. Anyone who thinks the JL is under-powered should be made to drive an early 80s HMMWV with the naturally aspirated 6.2 diesel and the 3 speed auto. You're redlining it at 45 MPH... and it took you over a minute to get it going that fast....

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
I am in between the so I think both are right, but its interesting to see 2 cultures collide in the amazing new Wrangler JL.

Old School
My brother has been driving his CJ for over 30 years, and it is never at fault or can be questioned. His logic is a far cry from the new wave of buyers logic

The CJ was bought used with no top.
Rain: not the Jeep's fault drive faster and get a rain coat.
Wind: get a real hair cut, girl friends not wanting pony tails were not keepers

Engine trouble:
Obviously not Jeep's fault, this bad boy needed a V8 obviously and deserves it

Wind noise complaint:
Who knows, while walking home you can assume it was a dumb comment

Kids cant get into back without a step:
The kids knew better and learned to climb up a tire or go to back and jump on the rear jump seat. The Jeep has done its job to make kids strong.

Dogs:
Oddly they also learned to jump in unassisted.

Anything else:
Obviously not Jeeps fault, Jeep deserved an upgrade to handle more extreme terrain is all.

New School
My evil step Mom wa lookign at new wrangler, and all the questions were complaints based on my Dad's old Wrangler, and wind noise, gas milage, on road ride quality (bouncing around!)

I just told her to buy a Lincoln Fluffy Wagon 2.0, seriously if wind is your number one issue... why look at a Wrangler!!!

Now there are lot with a less silly list, but they often are so far removed from the thinking old schoolers have its interesting
:cwl:Love it!
Sponsored