Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Having driven the 80's HMMWV's a fair bit, 150HP of normally aspirated POS 6.2 could be made to do pretty crazy things, but you had to get a run at it.

One of my platoon mates got tagged for the C.O. driver position a couple months before he was supposed to ETS. He and the 1st Sergeant's driver found the offroad proving ground at Ft. Hood, and proceeded to take pictures of each other jumping them. They got some SERIOUS air, and flattened at least one tire (they had a spare on board). One of them cracked a frame pretty severely and the battalion mechanics were just going to repair it, but the idiots gave their film to the base PX to develop.

Guess what's in a bunch of the pics? Bumper numbers! And the driver's name on the side of the hood. Whoops! Chain of command was contacted and provided some of the pics, and both of them got read the riot act on that one.

Unfortunately for me, I was the next one in line to be tagged for driving since our C.O. liked mortar and scout platoon driver's, since they were crazier or something. I will only say that I didn't break a frame, but there may or may not have been some repair items that I may or may not have been a little responsible for...

That stupid 6.2 was horrible. But it would go over 45 mph, I've been a lot faster in them. Limiter removed, foot on the floor, we could roll 65. But it took awhile. You learned to find down hills and never let up on the gas.
The 6.2s were pretty old when I came in. They were the beaters and Motor-T wouldn't let us use the newer 6.5s. lol.
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
i have a 49 and an 18 (along with a few others from the 90s)
know which one i like driving the most? yep, the 49. i get more looks and thumbs up in it than the shiny new rubicon.

old school - no doors or seatbelts
new school - aluminum doors and felt on the seatbelts.
Here's the '49 I drove as an undergrad in the early 70s,
Jeep Wrangler JL Old School Jeep Owner vs new Jeep owner Logic JeepandSam

Ran it all over the desert around Tucson.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

old school: what can i do to make my jeep pass semi trucks on the on ramp?

new school: which wrangler do i buy if i want to beat mustangs in the 1/4 mile?

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
I’d consider myself “middle school”.

My first was an 85 CJ7, now I have a JLUR. I loved everything about that CJ and would love to get it back, but it sold 18 years ago. But I love my JLUR even more than that CJ; it’s better in every single way. I can’t deny it.

So this year I bought a 94YJ to scratch the “old school” itch when needed. It’s a bit modded, even has better ground clearance on 33’s than the JLUR (and mine’s an XR)

But to be honest, I’ll take the JLUR almost every single time these days. It’s just more capable, and way more comfortable. A/C is not to be underrated!
I'm right there with ya. I had to sell the old YJ to bankroll the JL, part of me thought I was making a mistake. I thoroughly enjoyed the YJ, except for the lack of AC of course. I really expected to miss the YJ but that hasn't happened.

Of course I decided to get the JL for the obvious reasons, longer excursions, reliability, comfort, etc. What I didn't expect is how good the JL is off-road, I honestly thought it would be less capable than the YJ. Sure tight stuff is a challenge in the four door but I was blown away in every other situation, and that was in my Sport Altitude. The Sport Altitude was totaled and I have a JLUR ordered, I'm expecting to blown away again on a whole new level.

Side note, some friends invited my wife and I to go for a UTV ride. We drove their extra machine and along the way I yelled at my wife (damn those things are loud) "are you having fun" she was, I yelled again "would this be more fun in the Jeep" "Hell yes" I believe was her response.

Happy Jeepin"!

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I'm right there with ya. I had to sell the old YJ to bankroll the JL, part of me thought I was making a mistake. I thoroughly enjoyed the YJ, except for the lack of AC of course. I really expected to miss the YJ but that hasn't happened.

Of course I decided to get the JL for the obvious reasons, longer excursions, reliability, comfort, etc. What I didn't expect is how good the JL is off-road, I honestly thought it would be less capable than the YJ. Sure tight stuff is a challenge in the four door but I was blown away in every other situation, and that was in my Sport Altitude. The Sport Altitude was totaled and I have a JLUR ordered, I'm expecting to blown away again on a whole new level.

Side note, some friends invited my wife and I to go for a UTV ride. We drove their extra machine and along the way I yelled at my wife (damn those things are loud) "are you having fun" she was, I yelled again "would this be more fun in the Jeep" "Hell yes" I believe was her response.

Happy Jeepin"!
There’s a 4x4/classic car restoration shop in the small town I lived in a few years back. Down there you aren’t any kind of man if you don’t have a UTV. The shop sells t-shirts with a stylized jeep CJ on them and the inscription “the original side by side”. Clearly poking fun at the culture (people treat their Razr’s as daily drivers out there).

I need to order one of those shirts.

Sponsored

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There’s a 4x4/classic car restoration shop in the small town I lived in a few years back. Down there you aren’t any kind of man if you don’t have a UTV. The shop sells t-shirts with a stylized jeep CJ on them and the inscription “the original side by side”. Clearly poking fun at the culture (people treat their Razr’s as daily drivers out there).

I need to order one of those shirts.
Same here in parts of ID. What really cracks me up, most of them cruiz around forrest service roads I can run my truck and camp trailer down.

I need one of those shirts!

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Same here in parts of ID. What really cracks me up, most of them cruiz around forrest service roads I can run my truck and camp trailer down.

I need one of those shirts!
It’s a shop called “the original garage” in Ephraim, Utah. Incidentally, it’s the same town Robby Layton operates in, if you follow him at all. He’s the guy who does the bodywork for Matt’s Off-road Recovery, and has started up a YouTube channel of his own these days.

Anyway…Original Garage sells the shirts online I think.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s a shop called “the original garage” in Ephraim, Utah. Incidentally, it’s the same town Robby Layton operates in, if you follow him at all. He’s the guy who does the bodywork for Matt’s Off-road Recovery, and has started up a YouTube channel of his own these days.

Anyway…Original Garage sells the shirts online I think.
I'll check it out, thanks for the info.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I'll check it out, thanks for the info.
here’s a link to their site where you can order a t-shirt.

disclaimer: I have zero affiliation with these folks. Don’t even have a shirt of my own. Just saw them all over the county when I lived there.

Original sidebyside T-shirts
Sponsored

Reactions: LKG