Sponsored

Old chevy’s and suspension experts

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
So there’s a new movie on netflix called “day shift” and it’s a cheesy movie starring jaime foxx and he hunts vampires.

anyWay, he drive this old chevy c20 pickup, and it is the most perfect stance/wheel/tire combo I’ve ever seen.

I need one i (not in the same condition as the movie of course)

can anybody guess what was done to this truck and why does it look so awesome?

Looks like lowered, widened fenders, maybe 35” tires? That’s all I can tell.

here are several pictures of the truck (this is not some spam link)
https://productplacementblog.com/mo...amie-foxx-as-bud-jablonski-in-day-shift-2022/

here’s one of the shots in the link
Jeep Wrangler JL Old chevy’s and suspension experts 09FAD691-4D6C-4EAB-AB44-8777BE0D7FD0
Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Had a 70 model. Wheel-wells are cut out and widened. Does look lowered as well

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Looks like they put the body from the chevy on the rolling frame from a raptor or trex.

that pic has independent front suspension, and a wider stance than a c20.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
It's a '67. You can tell by the small back window and no side marker lights. It's been modified quite a bit. Probably done in the 70s as a Baja pre runner or chase truck or maybe just a weekend fun desert truck. Someone spent a lot of money on it back in the days before there were kits on the market for 2 wheel drives.

The fenders are radiused and rolled all around. Then someone went to the extra effort to match the body lines that were there before. That would be very expensive to duplicate today. You could get halfway there by rolling the fenders. No one does it on trucks anymore since fiberglass panels came to be. I doubt anyone makes fiberglass panels for a truck that old. The tuner guys still do it with stanced and Hellaflush cars.

The front suspension, what can be seen of it, has custom longer lower control arms. You can see that it's fabricated and it has new lower control arm bolts and shock bolts, probably from the work done to get it on the road again. The place where they mount on the frame looks stock. So, custom, mid travel lower control arms. The top control arms are probably custom too. No one was making custom spindles in those days, and since the truck is 8 lugs, they are likely stock.

The rear suspension is hard to see. A lot of 2 wheel drive GM trucks of this era had a trailing arm/coil spring rear suspension. That looks intact. If I was going to the trouble of building a custom front suspension and doing that expensive body work, I would have at least replaced the channel trailing arms with custom tube arms and replaced the springs.

The wheels are Crager Soft 8s, or some other similar wheel. The tires look like General Grabber X3s, probably 35x12.50x16.

I built a '70 GMC short bed stepside back in the mid 80s in a similar way, but with stock suspension components and no body mods ( I was a teen with no money). I used 1 ton springs for about 3-4" of lift, spaced out the upper control arms about .75", used 3/4 ton KYB shocks, then used 8" steel OEM type wheels with 31x10.50s. The rear suspension was already high enough to clear 31s. No one was offering 2wd suspension components back then except for custom shops out of SoCal.

This truck, I guess you could say, is lifted. The custom suspension changed it's stance, so it's higher than stock. If you put 30" tires back on it they would look tiny. These trucks were pretty low from the factory. If the fenders weren't done, the biggest tire you could stuff on it would probably be 33s, but they would rub a lot.

It's a very cool truck. The studio has probably had it sitting around for years. I have a C10 in the driveway waiting for some some attention. I've owned a bunch of them over the years. C10s/C20s are getting very expensive right now, right along with F100/250s from the 60s-80s. If you do this to a truck, find one that is pretty much just a frame and a body. Don't cut up a good one. Long beds, like the one above, are less expensive than short beds.

You can easily get close to that look today with some aftermarket lift spindles and some new springs front and rear. It would have to be with a half ton though, as the spindles aren't made for 3/4 tons. Without the fender work, it would be tough to do 35s, but 33s should work with spindles and springs. You can't lift the rear more than 2" or so, and only with springs. The axle is bolted on top of the trailing arms and there is a small track bar. To go higher you would need to fab new, longer trailing arms. If you try a spacer under a spring, as it pushes the suspension down (lifting the truck) the wheels arc forward and look wrong in the fender well. Or you could convert the rear to leaf springs, the holes are already in the frame as it was was a factory option.

Last edited:

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
I had a 1968 Short wide bed when I was 17 years old.
Stock they are on 15" wheels and coil spring , A arm suspension, and they drive great, no need to upgrade suspension.
Your pic looks like a 67 (small rear window), and doesn't look like factory front suspension, the fenders don't look stock either, they are too wide.
I paid$ 1500 for mine in the 80's.
Today expect to pay around $20,000+ for one in good condition, but you could pay much more if you want one completely restored.
Sponsored

Last edited: