Sponsored

Ok to shift transfer case into or out of Neutral while the engine is still running?

OP
OP
JeepGeezer

JeepGeezer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
If it won’t go, I’ll put the transmission into drive and or reverse and then back to neutral and try again. I’ll just fiddle with it until it goes. I never force the transfer case.
With the engine on or off?
Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
With the engine on or off?
You can’t shift the tranny with the engine off, it will not do it. Anything and everything I’ve done or described is with the engine running. I only shut it off when I’m ready to hop in the motorhome and drive away.

OP
OP
JeepGeezer

JeepGeezer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I flat tow my Jeep and here's what I do.

Hooking Up
Drive up and get it to where I can hook it up. Jeep will be in park with engine running.
Get in and put in reverse to take any slack out of the tow system.
Put transmission in Park.
Place transfer case in Neutral.
Shut off engine. I only leave the engine running to just watch the dash to make sure N for the transfer case and P for the transmission shows up.

Unhook
Put transfer case in 4H
Start engine
Put in D and push a bit on the tow bar (makes it easy to undo the bars for my setup)
Put in P and apply parking brake

I probably do it all wrong but I know a few things about transfer cases and transmissions. I feel I'm not doing any damage to those components.
I am sorry I did not notice your post earlier, and respond. But when reviewing the thread to make notes on what to try I did see it, and I have a question.

You suggest shifting the transfer case into Neutral with the transmission in Park and the engine running. I thought, based on the Jeep manual, that that would damage the transmission. Here is what the manual says:

Jeep Wrangler JL Ok to shift transfer case into or out of Neutral while the engine is still running? Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 7.25.27 AM

It is not exactly in the same order as your sequence, but very close.

OP
OP
JeepGeezer

JeepGeezer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
1. Parking brake on.
2. Light foot pressure on Brake Pedal.
3. Start Engine.
4. Shift Transmission into neutral.
5. Parking Brake off.
6. Foot off Brake Pedal.
7. If vehicle moves, shift Tcase from N to 4H.
8. Otherwise, place transmission into either Drive or Reverse depending on situation, shift Tcase from N to 4H.
9. Once in gear and you have velocity control with the throttle (to confirm engagement) shift the Tcase from 4H to 2H.
10. Stop, apply Parking brakes, set transmission to Park.

11. Engine off, or continue on with the rest of your day such as something way cool like a run down Black Bear Pass.
I tried this this morning and it worked well. Thank you for the help.

OP
OP
JeepGeezer

JeepGeezer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
If it won’t go, I’ll put the transmission into drive and or reverse and then back to neutral and try again. I’ll just fiddle with it until it goes. I never force the transfer case.
And I tried this as well, and it also worked. Thank you also.

This thread has been a great help to me and I wanted to thank everyone who responded.

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I believe the reason they tell you to turn off the engine is that it forces the transmission into auto-park (you will hear it “click” into park). If the motor is running in a gear and the transfer case is in neutral, I’ll get a dash warning when shifting to park that says something like “engine speed too high to shift to park”. It will go when the internal gears slow down, just like it does when you shut it off.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I am sorry I did not notice your post earlier, and respond. But when reviewing the thread to make notes on what to try I did see it, and I have a question.

You suggest shifting the transfer case into Neutral with the transmission in Park and the engine running. I thought, based on the Jeep manual, that that would damage the transmission. Here is what the manual says:

Jeep Wrangler JL Ok to shift transfer case into or out of Neutral while the engine is still running? Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 7.25.27 AM

It is not exactly in the same order as your sequence, but very close.
I'll let you know when it damages the transmission. So far, it has not but if it's against the rules, then use me as the litmus test.
Sponsored