Sponsored

Ok to shift transfer case into or out of Neutral while the engine is still running?

JeepGeezer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I thought I knew this, but now I wonder ...

I pull our 2 door Wrangler behind an RV and so I need to set the Wrangler up for towing. I read the steps in the manual for putting the Jeep in tow mode and it is clear that I am supposed to shut the engine after shifting the transmission into Neutral and before shifting the transfer case into Neutral, but I have read a lot of posts where users talk about shifting the Jeep into 4 Low while driving slowly, and that means that they are shifting the transfer case through Neutral while the vehicle is in motion and thus while the engine is running. Hence my question.

Is there anything wrong in shifting the transfer case into or out of Neutral while the engine is still running? More specifically, if I leave out step 4 in the Shifting Into Neutral and step 6 in the Shifting Out Of Neutral steps in the manual (see below) will I damage anything? I ask because it can be a bear shifting the transfer case into Neutral (and especially out of Neutral) with the engine off and even worse when shifting it out of Neutral with the engine off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ok to shift transfer case into or out of Neutral while the engine is still running? Into Neutral
Jeep Wrangler JL Ok to shift transfer case into or out of Neutral while the engine is still running? Out of Neutral
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepGeezer

JeepGeezer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Interesting observation. Maybe the difference in procedures is because what you are doing typically has the vehicle stopped and hooked up to your tow vehicle so turning off the vehicle minimized the chance of grinding gears?

For anyone interested, these steps from the manual are while under operation:

Shifting Procedures
2H To 4H Or 4H To 2H
Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the vehicle stopped or in motion. The preferred
shifting speed would be 0 to 45 mph (72 km/h). With the vehicle in motion, the transfer case will
engage/disengage faster if you momentarily release the accelerator pedal after completing
the shift. Do not accelerate while shifting the transfer case. Apply a constant force when
shifting the transfer case lever.

NOTE:
- Do not attempt to make a shift while only the front or rear wheels are spinning. The front​
and rear driveshaft speeds must be equal for the shift to take place. Shifting while only the​
front or rear wheels are spinning can cause damage to the transfer case.​
- Delayed shifts out of four-wheel drive may be experienced due to uneven tire wear, low or​
uneven tire pressures, excessive vehicle loading, or cold temperatures.​
- Shifting effort will increase with speed, this is normal.​

During cold weather, you may experience increased effort in shifting until the transfer
case fluid warms up. This is normal.

4H To 4L Or 4L To 4H
With the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift an automatic transmission into
NEUTRAL (N), or press the clutch pedal on a manual transmission. While the vehicle is
coasting at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h), shift the transfer case lever firmly to the desired
position. Do not pause with the transfer case in N (Neutral). Once the shift is completed, place
the automatic transmission into DRIVE or release the clutch pedal on a manual
transmission.

NOTE:
Shifting into or out of 4L is possible with the vehicle completely stopped; however, difficulty may occur due to the mating teeth not being properly aligned. Several attempts may be required for clutch teeth alignment and shift completion to occur. The preferred method is with the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h). Avoid attempting to engage or disengage 4L with the vehicle moving faster than 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h).

Sponsored

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
No, I would not want to be that guy. :(

But I was not planning to tow the Jeep while it was in gear. Only asking if it was safe to move the transfer case from 2H to Neutral or back from Neutral to 2H with the engine running. In either case I would only tow when the transfer case and the auto transmission were both in Neutral.
The transmission needs to be in Park, not Neutral (step 12).

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I thought I knew this, but now I wonder ...

I pull our 2 door Wrangler behind an RV and so I need to set the Wrangler up for towing. I read the steps in the manual for putting the Jeep in tow mode and it is clear that I am supposed to shut the engine after shifting the transmission into Neutral and before shifting the transfer case into Neutral, but I have read a lot of posts where users talk about shifting the Jeep into 4 Low while driving slowly, and that means that they are shifting the transfer case through Neutral while the vehicle is in motion and thus while the engine is running. Hence my question.

Is there anything wrong in shifting the transfer case into or out of Neutral while the engine is still running? More specifically, if I leave out step 4 in the Shifting Into Neutral and step 6 in the Shifting Out Of Neutral steps in the manual (see below) will I damage anything? I ask because it can be a bear shifting the transfer case into Neutral (and especially out of Neutral) with the engine off and even worse when shifting it out of Neutral with the engine off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ok to shift transfer case into or out of Neutral while the engine is still running? Out of Neutral
I’ve never towed one but here is my internet expertise😂
even though I can usually shift the transfer case while stopped now, I noticed it usually lurches/lunges when I put the transmission back into drive. Probably harder for the torque converter to slip against lower ratio?
So I’m guessing that’s why the tow procedure has you turn off the engine (since you’re probably hooked up, as someone mentioned).

(And of course the engine can be running while the transfer case is shifted from 4h-N-4L, as that’s how we all do it off-roading… as long as the transmission is in neutral.
And just to clarify the transmission has to be in neutral, so the car is “rolling” not driving, while the transfer case is shifted. I screwed that up the first time.😵💫)

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
OP, I think what you're reading about people shifting while rolling slowly is about making it easier to drop into 4H or 4L. The shift lever is very stiff on new Jeeps, so shifting while slowly rolling at 2-3mph helps. For towing, I would follow the manual and do exactly as it says.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@JeepGeezer,

Michael, of course the engine can be running to put the transfer case in Neutral. In this position (for towing) however, it's recommended to have the transmission in a low manual gear or Park for the automatic. The wheels are free to turn the drive train when rolling, but the engine's crankshaft will remain motionless (stopped).

Recall, you only need to be moving at slow speed to mesh and engage the lower gearing when shifting all the way into 4Lo, not leaving 4Hi into Neutral. So it's safe to go from 2Hi to 4Hi (no gearing change) and then into Neutral with the engine either running or not.

In fact you can also safely shift from 4Lo to Neutral with the engine running or not. You only need to move the vehicle slowly to mesh the gears with the drivetrain upon a gear change Hi to Lo (or vice versa).

Lastly and again as others have pointed out, you always have to be disciplined to ensure the transfer case is indeed in Neutral before towing. No exceptions. The very first time you don't, you'll very likely cause transfer case, transmission or engine damage. Probably major damage. This is a zero tolerance event.

As long as you get the transfer case into Neutral, it really doesn't matter how you get it there. Once properly in Neutral, park the transmission to ensure the crankshaft won't spin.

Jay

OP
OP
JeepGeezer

JeepGeezer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
The transmission needs to be in Park, not Neutral (step 12).
When towing, yes. When changing the transfer case, no.

My question is all about changing the transfer case from 4H to Neutral (and back) while the Jeep is stationary and being hooked up for towing, and then the auto transmission needs to be in Neutral. It needs to be changed to Park before actually towing.

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I flat tow my Jeep and here's what I do.

Hooking Up
Drive up and get it to where I can hook it up. Jeep will be in park with engine running.
Get in and put in reverse to take any slack out of the tow system.
Put transmission in Park.
Place transfer case in Neutral.
Shut off engine. I only leave the engine running to just watch the dash to make sure N for the transfer case and P for the transmission shows up.

Unhook
Put transfer case in 4H
Start engine
Put in D and push a bit on the tow bar (makes it easy to undo the bars for my setup)
Put in P and apply parking brake

I probably do it all wrong but I know a few things about transfer cases and transmissions. I feel I'm not doing any damage to those components.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
No, I would not want to be that guy. :(

But I was not planning to tow the Jeep while it was in gear. Only asking if it was safe to move the transfer case from 2H to Neutral or back from Neutral to 2H with the engine running. In either case I would only tow when the transfer case and the auto transmission were both in Neutral.
You shouldn't tow with the transmission in neutral. If it is in park, you'll know immediately if your transfer case ends up in gear. The trans in neutral will allow the back half of the transmission (gears) to be spun at speed while the pump sits idle. This will lead to the fluid boiling and destruction of the trans (if you see the smoke before the whole Jeep burns). Happened in my old XJ when the dog hopped in at the gas station (no doors) and must have stepped on the transfer case lever. That is why the directions recommend park or in gear (not neutral) for a manual.

OP
OP
JeepGeezer

JeepGeezer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
You shouldn't tow with the transmission in neutral. If it is in park, you'll know immediately if your transfer case ends up in gear. The trans in neutral will allow the back half of the transmission (gears) to be spun at speed while the pump sits idle. This will lead to the fluid boiling and destruction of the trans (if you see the smoke before the whole Jeep burns). Happened in my old XJ when the dog hopped in at the gas station (no doors) and must have stepped on the transfer case lever. That is why the directions recommend park or in gear (not neutral) for a manual.
Yes. I was in too much of a hurry when I posted.

When towing the transfer case is in Neutral and the transmission is in Park. And I check that carefully before I tow.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
If you haven't had any issues doing it the way you have been doing it, why change it up now?

Honestly, it sounds to me like paranoia.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

OP
OP
JeepGeezer

JeepGeezer

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
If you haven't had any issues doing it the way you have been doing it, why change it up now?

Honestly, it sounds to me like paranoia.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Of course I am having issues. Otherwise I would not have posted. As for my having paranoia, where would a suggestion like that come from? What have I written that would make anyone think that I thought someone or something was out to get me?

As I wrote, I am having extreme issues getting the transfer case to move from 2H to Neutral with the engine shut down, and having even more issues getting it back into 2H from Neutral when the engine is turned off.

Shifting the transfer case from 2H to Neutral is very difficult for me about 1/3 of the time, but at least I have leverage pulling the transfer case shifter back toward me. Moving it from Neutral to 2H is much, much more difficult and problems occur about 3/4 of the time, and it is even worse because I really have no leverage.

The last time I had to do this I tried 4 times to get the transfer case from Neutral to 2H, but each time the lever would not move, and I put the car back in Park, started the engine, shut down the engine and tried again. This procedure has sometimes worked in the past, but not this time.

So, to use your terminology, it is broke, so I am trying to fix it.
Sponsored