Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
4xe owners: how hard do you think it might be to move the charging port into the engine bay, and run a charging port extension cord that leads, say, out of the grill, (or leads out someplace) and replace the driver's side cowl with the standard non 4xe cowl so I can get my cowl-attached roof rack working on a 4xe?

ok--don't blame me....the cowl: what a stupid place to put a charging port on a Wrangler!

Thanks.
Sponsored

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
4xe owners: how hard do you think it might be to move the charging port into the engine bay, and run a charging port extension cord that leads, say, out of the grill, (or leads out someplace) and replace the driver's side cowl with the standard non 4xe cowl so I can get my cowl-attached roof rack working on a 4xe?

ok--don't blame me....the cowl: what a stupid place to put a charging port on a Wrangler!

Thanks.
Guessing it’s up high on the cowl for a reason (i.e. water fording). Doubt it would be worth the headache or hassle, and guaranteed to void your warranty.

Totally get where you coming from though.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe

Thanks.
The primary reason to locate the port in that general area is because it is least likely to be damaged due to a minor collision. I know of several Nissan Leafs that were not drivable after a minor fender bender because they were unable to charge.

The 4xe isn't a full BEV of course, so not apples to apples but the general idea applies. If that port is damaged in a collision then the repair bill could increase quite a bit.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I also read some place that the positioning on the cowl was in an effort to keep sparks far far away from gasoline fumes....but that alone could have been done by placing the electric port on the passenger's side of the vehicle.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I just thought it was from a manufacturing perspective. Any other body panel would have required a major change to the manufacturing process and make such parts scarce for the 4xe.

Sponsored

Black96z

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Machinist, Applications Engineer
Most roof rack manufacturers already have 4xe parts available....

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Most roof rack manufacturers already have 4xe parts available....
LOD, Gobi?....would you mind sourcing which cowl attached manufacturers are 4xe compatible David? Thanks.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I just thought it was from a manufacturing perspective. Any other body panel would have required a major change to the manufacturing process and make such parts scarce for the 4xe.
Fair point Michael. A cowl is easier to stock in "two flavors" (4xe, normal) than, say, a rear passenger's side quarter panel....

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Fair point Michael. A cowl is easier to stock in "two flavors" (4xe, normal) than, say, a rear passenger's side quarter panel....
Going by why the Gladiators' have rear doors with the wheel well cutout still in place. :)

LoganDzwon

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I think all the US companies are putting in the same general area. Well, except maybe Telsa.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I remember hearing one of the engineers discuss the placement in a video. I don't have time to check, but it may have been this one with TFL and the Powertrain head:

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I remember hearing one of the engineers discuss the placement in a video. I don't have time to check, but it may have been this one with TFL and the Powertrain head:
Thanks Matt. What you speak of is at 23:10.
Sponsored