DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So just to be clear I am in no way a hardcore wheeler. I am a photographer building a Sahara to suit my needs so I can get off the beaten path. I do have a question....in what circumstance would I need to be able to unlock a differential while still in 4wd? (not Rock Crawling) Don't Flame me I get it...there will be some that think "well that's a stupid question" but seriously I'm not rock crawling and I'm not mudding....almost overlanding :) I did put a TorqLocker in the front for when/if I need it. If it's for turning, can't I just put it in 2wd? Considering I'm not in 4 low...
Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
@DigitalDiem, To answer your question, I would not turn on the lockers unless you are in a situation where the front and back both are spinning one wheel and the other isn't turning at all. I have lockers for the first time in my Rubicon and I've been off roading for some 40 years. In my past Jeeps I had a limited slip differential in the rear and that did me very well. A limited slip differential locks automatically when it feels one of the wheels spinning and the the other one is stationary. An open differential sends power to both equally to both wheel but if 1 tire on the axle can slip, it will. But if the front slips, and the rear has traction on both wheels, it will keep you going.

You don't need the lockers unless that circumstance occurs where 1 wheel up front and 1 wheel in the back are spinning. The rest of the time, an open differential will do the job sending power to the front and back (in 4WD high or low).

I don't know if the TorqLocker is one you have to engage or if it's a limited slip type which would be perfect of what you describe.

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
I see you are in TN, so my advice would probably never apply to you, but I would never engage 4WD in snowy or icy conditions with an auto front locker. You won't have any control.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigitalDiem

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I see you are in TN, so my advice would probably never apply to you, but I would never engage 4WD in snowy or icy conditions with an auto front locker. You won't have any control.
Thanks but I have another 4wd that I drive in the snow with a front autolocker and I have never had a problem with it. The question was if I am in 4wd because I feel the need for it, why would I ever want to unlock it? I have never had the Jeep in 4wd in the snow because it works well in 2wd.

OP
OP
DigitalDiem

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@DigitalDiem - I found this video which talks about the TorqLocker. I don't think you should have an issue with it for how you want to use it.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...AC8BAF21BA091B6B1330AC8&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
yes and I have talked to the CEO of Torqmasters regarding design and and how it works. I was just asking the question why if I already have the Jeep in 4WD because I have determined I need to be in 4wd, Why would I want to unlock it? In what situation would I want to unlock the front differential while in 4wd?

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored