Sponsored

Ok I Need serious help/recommendations so I came here!

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
First off hello everyone, this is my first post here! This past summer I got an 18 JLU Sahara (my first wrangler). I plan on lifting it 2.5in, getting 35s, and new wheels.
What I need help with is the lift kit. I’ve done so much reading and asking but I get so many answers. My Jeep is my daily driver and my off roading will be light. Are there any specific lifts you guys recommend? So many lifts come with different parts then others so I don’t even know what’s necessary to have in a lift. Help would be greatly appreciated!!
I’ve been recommended Clayton off-road, teraflex, and metalcloak. Any specific lifts from these for my situation or even another brand?
thanks everyone!
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of budget or type of kit are you looking for? If not really off-roading anything difficult than a spacer lift (cheap) would be fine. If you are the type of person that doesn’t like to compromise, than we can recommend good, full and complete kits. There are options in between obviously. Spread with middle of the road shocks is somewhere from $600-$3000.

OP
OP
MichaelB887

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What kind of budget or type of kit are you looking for? If not really off-roading anything difficult than a spacer lift (cheap) would be fine. If you are the type of person that doesn’t like to compromise, than we can recommend good, full and complete kits. There are options in between obviously. Spread with middle of the road shocks is somewhere from $600-$3000.
I don't mind spending the money as long it will last and it's good quality. I don't want to put something bad on our expensive Jeeps haha! But honestly I expected to be spending around $2,000 (that was me just guessing before even looking and getting into the details with lift kits. I don't want to spend crazy on a lift I might never use to its full capabilities but I still want a solid lift that will keep the life of my Jeep for a long time.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
There are lots of opinions and things to wade through for sure. I’m a big fan of Metalcloak and I have their 3.5” Gamechanger kit.

For you, considering not going serious off-roading, sticking with stock clevite style bushings in the control arms may give better results on road than many of the more flexible joints available.

So looking at a kit like MC True Dual Rate should work great.

https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-2-5-true-dual-rate-suspension-system-lift-kit.html

Below is a list of things that would make up a full kit. The True Dual has all of these things except for it only has 2 control arms, which you can likely get away with just fine. Some kits come with miscellaneous brackets that try to take the place of a component below or try to add some additional offroad benefit

When people talk about multi rate springs like dual rate or triple rate they are really talking about long travel. These are able to extend down further without coming unseated from the spring perch. This is helpful offroad only, but has no detriment on road.

A complete kit would consist of:
  • Front and Rear Springs (lifts the vehicle)
  • Front and rear sway bar links (needed because the vehicle is taller with lift)
  • Front and rear trackbars (these center the axle up because it will be shifted to the side as the ride height increases)
  • Front and rear bumpstops (needed due to longer shocks and/or bigger tires)
  • 8 control arms (front and rear uppers and lowers x2) (allows you to center the axles back up front to rear, and rotate axle tubes to get optimal driveshaft angles/proper steering feel)
  • Shocks (longer springs need longer shocks)

Last edited:

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I only wanted to go up about 2" so I could run 35s. I had a simple rough country puck and shock extension lift installed, ran about $600 as I recall. I'm very satisfied with the results. Still works good as a daily driver and handles off road well

Sponsored

OP
OP
MichaelB887

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are lots of opinions and things to wade through for sure. I’m a big fan of Metalcloak and I have their 3.5” Gamechanger kit.

For you, considering not going serious off-roading, sticking with stock crevice style bushings in the control arms may give better results on road than many of the more flexible joints available.

So looking at a kit like MC True Dual Rate should work great.

https://metalcloak.com/jl-wrangler-2-5-true-dual-rate-suspension-system-lift-kit.html

Below is a list of things that would make up a full kit. The True Dual has all of these things except for it only has 2 control arms, which you can likely get away with just fine. Some kits come with miscellaneous brackets that try to take the place of a component below or try to add some additional offroad benefit)

When people talk about multi rate springs like dual rate or triple rate they are really talking about long travel. These are able to extend down further without coming unseated from the spring perch. This is helpful offroad only, but has no detriment on road.

A complete kit would consist of:
  • Front and Rear Springs (lifts the vehicle)
  • Front and rear sway bar links (needed because the vehicle is taller with lift)
  • Front and rear trackbars (these center the axle up because it will be shifted to the side as the ride height increases)
  • Front and rear bumpstops (needed due to longer shocks and/or bigger tires)
  • 8 control arms (front and rear uppers and lowers x2) (allows you to center the axles back up front to rear, and rotate axle tubes to get optimal driveshaft angles/proper steering feel)
  • Shocks (longer springs need longer shocks)
Thank you so much, that was by far the most detailed response I have had! I remember talking to someone on reddit and they actually recommend that lift. For th lift you sent, I actually have a couple questions. Im sure you looked at the lift you sent and it has you build it. 1. For shocks, are the RockSport Long travel shocks good to add to the kit? 2. It looks like I should be adding the new driveshaft for $599? 3. Then for backspacing I plan on adding after market wheels, but most I like are 4.5 backspacing. Both options are for 4.5 so I assume go with the after market selection there right? Appreciate the help!

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you so much, that was by far the most detailed response I have had! I remember talking to someone on reddit and they actually recommend that lift. For th lift you sent, I actually have a couple questions. Im sure you looked at the lift you sent and it has you build it. 1. For shocks, are the RockSport Long travel shocks good to add to the kit? 2. It looks like I should be adding the new driveshaft for $599? 3. Then for backspacing I plan on adding after market wheels, but most I like are 4.5 backspacing. Both options are for 4.5 so I assume go with the after market selection there right? Appreciate the help!
I use the Rocksports on mine and they are ok. One day I’ll step up to expensive shocks but these are fine. Not terrible, but nothing to brag about.

Drive shaft comes into play with the 3.5” lift or when off-roading the 2.5”. It’s when your front axle drops down far enough that the driveshaft is at a high angle and can tear the boot on the stock shaft or hit other things on the vehicle (cross members and the like) I think you could be fine without it, and worst case you buy it later if you need it.

Regarding backspacing, if you will buy aftermarket wheels around 4.5” then you should select that. If you select that and don’t change out your wheels, then you will receive components that may not clear your stock wheels setup. Won’t be a problem for some temp driving around town, but you may have conflicts with the tire rubbing on things.

OP
OP
MichaelB887

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I use the Rocksports on mine and they are ok. One day I’ll step up to expensive shocks but these are fine. Not terrible, but nothing to brag about.

Drive shaft comes into play with the 3.5” lift or when off-roading the 2.5”. It’s when your front axle drops down far enough that the driveshaft is at a high angle and can tear the boot on the stock shaft or hit other things on the vehicle (cross members and the like) I think you could be fine without it, and worst case you buy it later if you need it.

Regarding backspacing, if you will buy aftermarket wheels around 4.5” then you should select that. If you select that and don’t change out your wheels, then you will receive components that may not clear your stock wheels setup. Won’t be a problem for some temp driving around town, but you may have conflicts with the tire rubbing on things.
Ah okay, that makes sense regarding the driveshaft. But it can't hurt me to just get that now correct, or do you still think no for now? I know its hard for you to say! For shocks, if not those is there a different set you recommend with this kit?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Ah okay, that makes sense regarding the driveshaft. But it can't hurt me to just get that now correct, or do you still think no for now? I know its hard for you to say! For shocks, if not those is there a different set you recommend with this kit?
If you are able to swing the driveshaft go for it. I plan on buying Fox DSC remote reservoir shocks from Accutune at some point. Just waiting for these to wear out. Accutune has other options too that they custom valve to your setup

OP
OP
MichaelB887

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are able to swing the driveshaft go for it. I plan on buying Fox DSC remote reservoir shocks from Accutune at some point. Just waiting for these to wear out. Accutune has other options too that they custom valve to your setup
ok sweet! Last question then I promise I will stop bothering you haha. After I do the lift, new wheels, and 35's are these two products a necessity also?

https://www.extremeterrain.com/tpms-sensor-1315-jk-j103446.html

https://www.extremeterrain.com/superchips-flashcal-f5-2018-jl.html

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
ok sweet! Last question then I promise I will stop bothering you haha. After I do the lift, new wheels, and 35's are these two products a necessity also?

https://www.extremeterrain.com/tpms-sensor-1315-jk-j103446.html

https://www.extremeterrain.com/superchips-flashcal-f5-2018-jl.html
You can reuse the TPMS sensors from your current stock wheels if you’d like. You have to take the tire off the wheel to get to them. Many people find it easier to buy new ones, and you should have sensors, or the Jeep will have a message and icon for you on the gauge cluster.

A programmer will allow you to correct the speedometer and transmission (assuming automatic) shift points. You can also pay your dealer to program your Jeep for the new tire size. This often costs $75-$150. I use the Tazer JL mini. They have a lite version that may work for you if you don’t need the full product features.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
OP
OP
MichaelB887

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can reuse the TPMS sensors from your current stock wheels if you’d like. You have to take the tire off the wheel to get to them. Many people find it easier to buy new ones, and you should have sensors, or the Jeep will have a message and icon for you on the gauge cluster.

A programmer will allow you to correct the speedometer and transmission (assuming automatic) shift points. You can also pay your dealer to program your Jeep for the new tire size. This often costs $75-$150. I use the Tazer JL mini. They have a lite version that may work for you if you don’t need the full product features.
yes I have automatic and I pretty much just need something so the speedometer and transmission are all in sync

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Michael,

Welcome. First off I think your doing this correctly. Great questions, great responses. I won't pile on with even more recommendations, I think Mark covered the bases really well.

Just for some feedback, my very first Mod was a 2.5" lift, and 35's. The best thing I've ever invested in for my 2019 Sport S. Love every minute of this setup. Rides great both on and off-road. I'm not certain what gear ratio axles you have on your Sahara but with the 3.45 diffs on the Sport, I have essentially lost 8th gear on the freeway. However, this auto trans is remarkable with the 35s in every other way. I can always manually select 8th gear and now have overdrive on steroids.

Regardless, I believe you'll really enjoy this setup as well. JL's (in my opinion) are so much better lifted with larger rubber. Exactly what a Jeep should be.

Welcome and good luck.
Jay

InShot_20200915_223133135.jpg

OP
OP
MichaelB887

MichaelB887

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Michael,

Welcome. First off I think your doing this correctly. Great questions, great responses. I won't pile on with even more recommendations, I think Mark covered the bases really well.

Just for some feedback, my very first Mod was a 2.5" lift, and 35's. The best thing I've ever invested in for my 2019 Sport S. Love every minute of this setup. Rides great both on and off-road. I'm not certain what gear ratio axles you have on your Sahara but with the 3.45 diffs on the Sport, I have essentially lost 8th gear on the freeway. However, this auto trans is remarkable with the 35s in every other way. I can always manually select 8th gear and now have overdrive on steroids.

Regardless, I believe you'll really enjoy this setup as well. JL's (in my opinion) are so much better lifted with larger rubber. Exactly what a Jeep should be.

Welcome and good luck.
Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL Ok I Need serious help/recommendations so I came here! InShot_20200915_223133135
Haha thank you so much! Yes, Jeep’s deserved to be lifted it completely transforms the look. I love your Jeep, it looks great! Hope mine turns out that good!😉
Sponsored