Sponsored

Oily residue on drivers side of engine... normal???

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Yeah not at all like my TJ. I could practically sit in that engine compartment and have lunch while I worked on it.
OMG....I’ve actually done that when I had my ‘72 Chevelle in high school. Not a TJ, but same idea as older engines are so simple to work on and plenty of room in the engine bay.

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
i just noticed the same on my Jeep (2019 JLUR) ... i was wondering if this is a common issue. can you guys give an update about this.. did the o rings fix the leaking?

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My dealer wouldn’t replace. They said it doesn’t count as an oil leak unless it’s dripping. Service tech noted “looks like engine has been detailed and wiped off excess detail spray”. By last October, we were on trails in Colorado with the windows down and all you could smell was oil burning on the exhaust. Not sure the trick to get dealers to resolve correctly.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
i just noticed the same on my Jeep (2019 JLUR) ... i was wondering if this is a common issue. can you guys give an update about this.. did the o rings fix the leaking?
My dealer wouldn’t replace. They said it doesn’t count as an oil leak unless it’s dripping. Service tech noted “looks like engine has been detailed and wiped off excess detail spray”. By last October, we were on trails in Colorado with the windows down and all you could smell was oil burning on the exhaust. Not sure the trick to get dealers to resolve correctly.
Having the O-ring did resolve the problem. The other day I noticed some dampness but didn't dig further so I need to play detective and see if it's back again.

The way to get the dealer to do this is to get @JeepCares on your side. If they open a case for you you have more weight behind it and the dealer is more likely to comply.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Having the O-ring did resolve the problem. The other day I noticed some dampness but didn't dig further so I need to play detective and see if it's back again.

The way to get the dealer to do this is to get @JeepCares on your side. If they open a case for you you have more weight behind it and the dealer is more likely to comply.
Thanks for tagging us here, mgroeger.

We can certainly dig in further on your concerns, Halstem1 and Faresalsal. If you both want to separately message our team we can discuss!

Kate
Jeep Cares

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
Thanks for the post guys. I’ve been seeing this same oil staining on my ‘18 3.6 for a year plus but no drips on the garage floor in two plus years. With 22K miles and my last Wave oil change scheduled, I asked dealer to look into it....along with a failing ess battery.

Like me on a few occasions, they brake cleaned the engine but could not locate the source. Unlike me, they added some UV dye to the oil then sent me home to come back a week later. While I had it back, I search myself using a UV flashlight but found no sign of dye down low. Did see some neon green on top but waved it off.

Dropped it back off this morning where it still sits so I cannot check but am going to guess my eyes had not failed me and that this is my problem. Calling dealer in the morning .

Thanks again.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine appears to be doing the same thing on both sides. I've got a film of oil but no drips or not enough to leak. I just noticed it yesterday and made an appointment with the dealership in a couple weeks to look at it.

I'll post up as to what we find. I'm sure they will fix it. The service department is very good and makes no fuss over fixes. But if they don't, it does look like a job I could handle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does the whole cam position sensor have to be replaced, or is just the o-ring able to be swapped? It doesn't look like a terribly hard job, if a dealer weren't willing to do it or if out of warranty.

I've got a lifetime warranty but with a $200 deductible once the original powertrain warranty is up. If I could do it myself and save more than $40 or $50, I'd do it.

Also, anyone know any part numbers? Just curious about what it entails and the price of parts.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Does the whole cam position sensor have to be replaced, or is just the o-ring able to be swapped? It doesn't look like a terribly hard job, if a dealer weren't willing to do it or if out of warranty.

I've got a lifetime warranty but with a $200 deductible once the original powertrain warranty is up. If I could do it myself and save more than $40 or $50, I'd do it.

Also, anyone know any part numbers? Just curious about what it entails and the price of parts.
When they did mine they replaced the sensor without replacing the o-ring underneath and it still leaked. Once they replaced the o-ring it stopped for a time and then started again. I believe it is also a problem with the JKs.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I had oil caked on my passenger side valve cover that I originally thought was a simple valve cover leak, but it turned out to be the oil filter housing. Since these things are made out of plastic, I'm betting I tweaked it by accidentally overtorquing the cap when doing an oil change at some point. I had oil sitting in the valley, but my gaskets were actually fine. When I went to buy a replacement, my dealership told me they sell these things all the time because they have a high failure rate.

Replacing it wasn't fun, but I ended up redoing the gaskets on the valve covers and put in new spark plugs since I had it all open and my engine is nearing 70k.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had oil caked on my passenger side valve cover that I originally thought was a simple valve cover leak, but it turned out to be the oil filter housing. Since these things are made out of plastic, I'm betting I tweaked it by accidentally overtorquing the cap when doing an oil change at some point. I had oil sitting in the valley, but my gaskets were actually fine. When I went to buy a replacement, my dealership told me they sell these things all the time because they have a high failure rate.

Replacing it wasn't fun, but I ended up redoing the gaskets on the valve covers and put in new spark plugs since I had it all open and my engine is nearing 70k.
I'm now 100% sure my issue is the cam position sensor seal on both sides. I'm probably going to go ahead and replace the passenger side myself because it is cheap and easy to get to. I'll then look at the driver side. I may not bother with the dealer, at all.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update....Fixed! The seals that failed were on the variable valve lift solenoid seals.

I bought the replacement seals for those and for the Camshaft Position Sensors from @AllMoparParts.com and took them with me to the dealer. I told them that if they did not have the parts or could not get them that I had them on the passenger seat. They later called and said that I was right and they could not get those parts anywhere in Indianapolis, so they used mine and will either reimburse me or give them to me when the ones they ordered arrive. I told them I'd just take the parts and hang onto them.

They did a nice job with the repair and cleaned up all the oil residue on the valve covers and checked for other leaks or seepage and found none. They also did a Y95 power steering recall which was a software update.

They are such a good service department. They always do it right the first time, every time, and they take care of my Jeep like it was theirs. If anyone is curious, it is York Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram in Plainfield Indiana.

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
Both my friends have the 3.6 in there Jeeps, and they both have this issue. Both 3.6's are under 25,000 km's. So I'm assuming this is a common issue. I'll monitor mine, I literally only have 700 km's on my 3.6 as I bought my first ever Jeep a few days ago. If it goes, it goes, I take it in and hopefully they do some warranty work.
Sponsored