oil total black? while oil life still 14% left

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 95 YJ, 2019 JLU x2
Damn yall go that long before an oil change? I change mine out at 50% life lol. #turbohealth
Sponsored

OP
OP

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
It is darker in turbo engine than Na engine, the lower one is Jeep after 1000km or less in 3 weeks, and the top one is Toyota maybe 3000km after 5 month. Agree turbo may blow more carbon into chamber, or running hotter than Na engine. Still very mind boggling how to monitor the health of engine by oil color.

IMG_20210924_120735.jpg

Last edited:

74bronco_nomore

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 JKU, 2005 Dodge Quad cab, 2005 Audi A4
I would be very interested to see the oil analysis of the oil with the oil life monitor reporting 14% less. The algorithms are complex and track the right variables. OLMs are certainly much better than any rule of thumbs...but maximum miles and maximum time duration should still be thresholds to trigger an oil change.

I cringed when I saw 14%...but if that was achieved in 6 months, decent long trips, no extreme temps...then I'm sure the oil would test fine.

My career took me through a phase of reliability engineering. Oil tribology was a big component. Analysis tells you alot. It will confirm the "reserves" left for the additives (which the OLM is trying to predict with all the factors), the viscosity breakdown, and the contaminants. Oil quality and oil filter quality paramount on initial fill for this engine. this engine oil is extremely refined and designed for high Temps that break down viscosity. The additive package will help maintain viscosity and fight contaminants which are especially abusive to oil during cold opersting Temps when water vapor plus contaminants = Acid.

And not to start a discussion on the right oil filter, I will just simply say high quality filters are a must. $4-5 incremental cost for this engine especially.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Jeep makes money selling Jeeps. And parts. Long oil change intervals=more parts bought after warranty is over.

Local Jeep dealer wanted $250 Cdn for an oil change. With some checks. So I changed dealers.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Jeep makes money selling Jeeps. And parts. Long oil change intervals=more parts bought after warranty is over.

Local Jeep dealer wanted $250 Cdn for an oil change. With some checks. So I changed dealers.
$250 CAD for an oil change??? That's ridiculous, even by a dealer's high price service department standards.

That's about $200 USD, for anyone in the US who is wondering.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
$250 CAD for an oil change??? That's ridiculous, even by a dealer's high price service department standards.

That's about $200 USD, for anyone in the US who is wondering.
Yup. Same dealer wouldn't do the TSB for steering gear replacement highlighted so they could see what to read.

We went to a really good dealer. Not that one.
Sponsored