First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I changed my oil over the weekend and received an "oil pressure warning" message today. Sure enough I was showing 9psi at idle. I had only put in 8.5 quarts because none of my cars ever seem to take the full compliment of oil and I didn't want to overfill. Added the extra 1/2 quart and started it up - still showing the message. I start out to the dealer and I look down - the message is gone. Check oil pressure - 22psi at idle. Was it just the 1/2 quart that was responsible? Why didn't the message go away immediately after adding the oil? [in all fairness, I probably didn't give the added oil a chance to circulate]
Sponsored

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
Dont know if this helps but when the dealer did my first oil change it was down about 3/4 quart.
I did not have any messages.

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
I changed my oil over the weekend and received an "oil pressure warning" message today. Sure enough I was showing 9psi at idle. I had only put in 8.5 quarts because none of my cars ever seem to take the full compliment of oil and I didn't want to overfill. Added the extra 1/2 quart and started it up - still showing the message. I start out to the dealer and I look down - the message is gone. Check oil pressure - 22psi at idle. Was it just the 1/2 quart that was responsible? Why didn't the message go away immediately after adding the oil? [in all fairness, I probably didn't give the added oil a chance to circulate]
Rick, what happened with this issue? I have had nearly the same thing happen to me except that I put in all 9 quarts when I did the oil change. The oil pressure seems fine when driving (usually around 30psi) but is about 10psi when I first start it when the engine is already warm. That kicks off the low oil pressure error. The oil temperature is fine (208F), there are no leaks and the oil level looks fine on the dip stick.

mtnmerlin

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
I found the other threads on this issue and I believe that I have resolved the problem.

I was suspicious of the oil filter and when I got a good look from underneath I saw that the filter was far from being seated. Not knowing if I could remove the oil filter without lowering the oil level, I drained three quarts of oil, removed the filter and heavily oiled the rubber rings. That allowed the oil filter to screw in more easily and seat properly. I added three new quarts of oil and the oil pressure looks good. I will give it a good test drive tomorrow (the particulate filter is at 75% so a regen is about to happen). Thanks to all who figured this out an posted in the other threads.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Rick, what happened with this issue? I have had nearly the same thing happen to me except that I put in all 9 quarts when I did the oil change. The oil pressure seems fine when driving (usually around 30psi) but is about 10psi when I first start it when the engine is already warm. That kicks off the low oil pressure error. The oil temperature is fine (208F), there are no leaks and the oil level looks fine on the dip stick.
It must have resolved itself because it never reared its head again.

Kraxler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Diesel 2021
A properly seated filter is important. I found out that it needs the proper torque also. 18 ft pounds. I got he light after an oil change and driving for about 8 miles. Back home loosened the filter and retighten it then used a torque wrench and it took almost one more full turn to get the proper value. No problem since.
Sponsored