ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Whew, ok lol.
Have you run Uwharie yet? I see you are in Murphy NC.
Thats a way away from Murphy, about 6 hours or so. Tellico was right down the road and sadly the feds closed it. I have a set of BFG All Terrains in the garage that need to be installed before any kind of off roading occurs as those factory Wranglers A/T's stink!
Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try an oil catch can. I put one on and collected a 1/4 cup oil in 3k miles
That seems like a lot of blow by. Are you driving at any extreme angles or you collected that much in just normal street driving?

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
That seems like a lot of blow by. Are you driving at any extreme angles or you collected that much in just normal street driving?
Nope that sounds about right. I have one on my 2018 JLUR with the 3.6L in it and I am amazed at how much blow by occurs on these engines.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I get a fair amount as well in my Jeep and Trans am. I have oil pooled in my intake manifold on my DD with no CC. Every once in awhile I take off the TB and mop up the oil with a rag.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I noticed today while changing the filter that I had a little small amount in my intake as well

F2E73156-9286-4314-81B6-12E9222033FB.jpeg

Sebuh

First Name
Sebuh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I had a bit of oil in there also at about 6k miles when I cleaned the air intake assembly myself.

I'm guessing it's normal.

What catch can would you add if you did that?

acsak

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-door Wrangler JL Rubicon (Manual Transmission)
Thought I'd revive this. So I am running the Mishimoto can and it does catch a lot of stuff. Initially I thought that this solved the problem of the oil dripping into the intake, but today I saw some more oil in there. The catch can is only intercepting gases from the PCV valve and hose (figure 3 in the diagram below). The "make up air hose" as it's called (figure 1) is still connected in the stock configuration, and this is what is dripping oil into the intake. Sometimes it's bone dry when checking/cleaning the air filter, but other times there is a small amount of oil. It's always a small amount, and it doesn't look like it's coating the entire intake or anything like that, just a small coating at and around the rubber boot that connects to the cleaner box.
Jeep Wrangler JL Oil pooled in the intake duct Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 1.51.29 PM

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thought I'd revive this. So I am running the Mishimoto can and it does catch a lot of stuff. Initially I thought that this solved the problem of the oil dripping into the intake, but today I saw some more oil in there. The catch can is only intercepting gases from the PCV valve and hose (figure 3 in the diagram below). The "make up air hose" as it's called (figure 1) is still connected in the stock configuration, and this is what is dripping oil into the intake. Sometimes it's bone dry when checking/cleaning the air filter, but other times there is a small amount of oil. It's always a small amount, and it doesn't look like it's coating the entire intake or anything like that, just a small coating at and around the rubber boot that connects to the cleaner box.
Jeep Wrangler JL Oil pooled in the intake duct Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 1.51.29 PM
Catch cans are unnecessary and oil in the intake is normal and fine.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Could this effect the mass air flow sensor?
Not really. I mean technically I guess if it gets bad enough but there isn't a tremendous amount that pools in there.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not really. I mean technically I guess if it gets bad enough but there isn't a tremendous amount that pools in there.
I agree, the MAF is much farther downstream near the throttle body.
Sponsored