Oil opinions wanted

Stry

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
For some reason this Jeep Wrangler fourm has the most oil change , oil related threads than any other forums that I frequent by a long long margin , Is there something specific to this jeep that is very confusing to people in regards to the oil?
Some simple common sense and glance under the hood or in the owners manual and ALL , questions would be answered. people don’t know how much oil it takes ? they don’t know how to check the oil ? they don’t know what weight oil to use ? they don’t know what brand of oil ?people just seem genuinely lost for some reason in regards to oil. Jeep printed the oil weight in bright yellow lettering on the oil fill cap to make it idiot proof , It’s like playschool designed the under hood with bright yellow things that a child could figure out, yet people are lost.

First day I bought my Jeep , that night i paged through the owners manual.
Jeep say 5 quarts 0W-20 Pennzoil. So simple. Done. Yet there 100 threads arguing and complaining , confusion. Every new car I ever bought , motorcycle , lawn mower, whatever same procedure read the book do what it says.

If you don’t want to listen to the manufacture of course that’s your decision do what you want , But no need to try and convince other people to do the same wrong thing as you.
While I do want to agree with you on the points that figuring out the correct viscosity oil and how much to use is simple, I would like to point out that Jeep does not explicitly say to use Pennzoil. According to my owner's manual, it states: "Mopar SAE 0W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures." There are many equivalent oils (including Pennzoil) that meet Jeep's specifications.

And, btw, Castrol Edge 0W-20

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
While I do want to agree with you on the points that figuring out the correct viscosity oil and how much to use is simple, I would like to point out that Jeep does not explicitly say to use Pennzoil. According to my owner's manual, it states: "Mopar SAE 0W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures." There are many equivalent oils (including Pennzoil) that meet Jeep's specifications.

And, btw, Castrol Edge 0W-20
While they don't require SOPUS products, that's still a ringing endorsement. They don't mention any other oil companies. It supports what has been said about FCA being in bed with Shell Oil.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I have run 0w20 Mobil 1 EP and AP and a Fram Ultraguard oil filter for over 17k or so miles until the latest oil change. I've had several used oil analyses done with these oils and they came out fine, as expected. I'm currently running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 and again, a Fram Ultraguard filter. My next change will probably see either Mobil 1 EP or Quaker State Ultimate Durability. I have a stash of M1 oil filters purchased on clearance at WalMart for 4 bucks each. They don't filter quite as well as the Fram Ultra, but they are more than good enough.

FCA's MS6395 is one of the weakest standards in the industry. Anything meeting GM Dexos 1 G2 will easily meet MS6395. Also, the only reason Mobil 1 doesn't meet it is because FCA refuses to certify it. Why? Because they are in bed with SOPUS. I have no doubt Mobil 1 and Amsoil would easily and vastly surpass the MS6395 standard, and there is nothing happening in a healthy 3.6 maintained by the book that will break them down, either. Not even close.

I'd consider any reputable brand of oil for my 3.6, as it is easy on oil. If you are worried about it, you are wasting energy. Simply running a Mopar filter and Pennzoil Gold or Platinum will be just fine with this engine, even if you go to 0% on the oil life monitor, which could get you to around 8k miles.

Btw, that guy with the video series comparing oils is fun to watch, but I wouldn't put a whole bunch of stock in his tests. I could pour water and beat all those oils in the flow test, but I doubt water will protect as well. The pressure test is not considered a good test by the oil industry, as it really doesn't simulate what is happening in an engine, even remotely. Finally, the heat test doesn't measure anything but the effect of heat on flow rate, which tells you very little. That said, Amazon Basics (as well as Wal Mart Supertech in some areas) is made by Warren Distribution and is very good oil.

If you are worried, have Blackstone or another outfit do an oil sample analysis for you. It costs about 25 bucks and will give you a little insight on how your engine is doing, and in some cases can help diagnose a serious problem.

I've only got about 2k on the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20, but when I ultimately get to 5k miles, I'll send a sample in for another UOA and will post it up.

Here are some oils I'd be confident to run (Not counting high mileage oils, which I'd consider much later in the engine's life):
Mobil 1, Mobil Super Synthetic (Does meet MS6395--long story as to why FCA allows it), Amsoil, Pennzoil Gold, Platinum, or Ultra Platinum, Valvoline Advanced Syn and Modern Engine, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Havoline synthetic, Castrol synthetics, Napa, Wal Mart Supertech, Amazon Basics, Mag1, Ford Motorcraft, and likely others.

As for filters, I pretty much stick to M1 or Fram, but would be ok with a Mopar (Purolator). I actually steer clear of Napa/Wix, as their filtering efficiency appears not to be competitive. I've called them and they say "99% efficient" but fail to tell you the size of the particles for that measurement, but they admit it is north of 30 microns, last I checked.

Again, the 3.6 is far from the hardest engine on oil. Direct injected and/or turbocharged engines will stress an oil much more.

Finally, why all the obsession with oil? Why not? With a vehicle stickering at over $50,000, I think it is worth thinking a little bit about what oil you use. For me, maintenance is part of the fun of Jeep ownership.
This post should be a sticky. Everything you need to know about oil for the 3.6L is right here.

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Need to know the brands and details of what everyone is using.
I ran Valvoline high mileage for 13 years in my 05 Jeep JL and was perfect till the end
I do think any synthetic for modern motors would be fine, however, I just stick to the Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 as it meets the MS-6395 certification. At the end of the day, I don't think that really matters providing you just use good oil. I'm a Mobil 1 guy, not really a Pennzoil guy, but whatever. Does the job, and jeeps seems happy with it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-SAE-0W-20-Dexos-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/123640799

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I do think any synthetic for modern motors would be fine, however, I just stick to the Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 as it meets the MS-6395 certification. At the end of the day, I don't think that really matters providing you just use good oil. I'm a Mobil 1 guy, not really a Pennzoil guy, but whatever. Does the job, and jeeps seems happy with it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-SAE-0W-20-Dexos-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/123640799
And until June 30th save $10 per jug!
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions/do-it-yourself-oil-change/promotion-13.html

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I am apprehensive to open the can, BUT i'm going to do my oil for the first time. I've had great experience with Mobile1, but curious to try Amazon Basics. Has anyone had/heard any negative effect around it OR is anyone using it for a prolonged period of time? Curious on opinions.......if funky, i might fallback to Mobile1. Thanks!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I am apprehensive to open the can, BUT i'm going to do my oil for the first time. I've had great experience with Mobile1, but curious to try Amazon Basics. Has anyone had/heard any negative effect around it OR is anyone using it for a prolonged period of time? Curious on opinions.......if funky, i might fallback to Mobile1. Thanks!
Amazon Basics, as I understand it, is made by Warren Distribution, which makes Mag 1 oil and some Walmart Supertech, depending on geographic location. If correct, then it is very good oil. The main thing to look for is Dexos 1 Gen 2 rating. That in and of itself should give you peace of mind, as it appears to be the most stringent standard on the market right now.

Update...It says Warren Distribution right on the bottle. Save yourself some money and get Walmart Supertech. It should be around 16 bucks for 5 quarts while Amazon is around $23. It is the same oil.

I've been running Supertech full synthetic gear oil in my JK's differentials for years with no issue. Warren Distribution makes good stuff. Run with confidence.

Pennzoil Platinum with that rebate is an even better deal right now. Pair that with a $4 clearance priced Mobil 1 filter and you can smile like you just got away with something!

Last edited:

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Amazon Basics, as I understand it, is made by Warren Distribution, which makes Mag 1 oil and some Walmart Supertech, depending on geographic location. If correct, then it is very good oil. The main thing to look for is Dexos 1 Gen 2 rating. That in and of itself should give you peace of mind, as it appears to be the most stringent standard on the market right now.

Update...It says Warren Distribution right on the bottle. Save yourself some money and get Walmart Supertech. It should be around 16 bucks for 5 quarts while Amazon is around $23. It is the same oil.

I've been running Supertech full synthetic gear oil in my JK's differentials for years with no issue. Warren Distribution makes good stuff. Run with confidence.

Pennzoil Platinum with that rebate is an even better deal right now. Pair that with a $4 clearance priced Mobil 1 filter and you can smile like you just got away with something!
Thanks Dan! Appreciate it! :fist bump:

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I use nothing but Amsoil in all my vehicles. 0W-20 Sig Series, in the JL's case. I run 5W-20 Sig Series on my 700hp Mustang and have been for the last 7 years. Nothing but the best.
On the Amsoil, do you feel that their Signature Series is that much better than their standard OE? It's about 2X the price. Maybe the Signature Series is better if your pushing 15-20K miles between oil changes. I plan on doing my first oil change on my 2020 JLRU with the 3.6L V6 at 1000 miles, my second at 5000 miles (so that oil will have just 4000 miles on it), and then change every 5K after... 10K, 15K, 20K, etc. Changing that often, do you still feel the Signature Series is that much better?

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Pennzoil 0w-20 is what Jeep wants you to use. But, I wouldn’t follow the oil recommendation by the manufacture. I would ignore the oil recommendation printed on the oil cap and in the owners manual and just take a poll online from anonymous people and ask what they would run.
I recommend 20W-50 conventional Valvoline racing motor oil. used it for years and it was awesome and never let me down of course that was 30 years ago.
Also just put 6 quarts in and hope , that’s what all the dealers are doing and whatever you do don’t check the oil with the dipstick when you’re done changing the oil. just hope it’s close.
The JK uses 6 quarts. The JL uses 2 5qt jugs. Dealers keep putting in 6 on the free oil changes!

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I'll only use 0w20 that has that Chrysler MS-6395 certification, First change w/ Valvoline, and Pennzoil Platinum from here on out more than likely (as I always stock up when rebates are available). Always had good UOAs on Pennz.
Castrol also has cert