Sponsored

Oil opinions wanted

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
For some reason this Jeep Wrangler fourm has the most oil change , oil related threads than any other forums that I frequent by a long long margin , Is there something specific to this jeep that is very confusing to people in regards to the oil?
Some simple common sense and glance under the hood or in the owners manual and ALL , questions would be answered. people don’t know how much oil it takes ? they don’t know how to check the oil ? they don’t know what weight oil to use ? they don’t know what brand of oil ?people just seem genuinely lost for some reason in regards to oil. Jeep printed the oil weight in bright yellow lettering on the oil fill cap to make it idiot proof , It’s like playschool designed the under hood with bright yellow things that a child could figure out, yet people are lost.

First day I bought my Jeep , that night i paged through the owners manual.
Jeep say 5 quarts 0W-20 Pennzoil. So simple. Done. Yet there 100 threads arguing and complaining , confusion. Every new car I ever bought , motorcycle , lawn mower, whatever same procedure read the book do what it says.

If you don’t want to listen to the manufacture of course that’s your decision do what you want , But no need to try and convince other people to do the same wrong thing as you.

There’s not. At least on the 3.6. It’s a simple engine that doesn’t require anything special, but people overthink things on forums.
Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Also in the bizzarro world that we now live in , people will post that I’m the problem and you should not listen to me telling you to listen to Jeep. I know it’s very confusing there is no common sense anymore and everything is backwards. Anyway, people shouldn’t listen to me, they shouldn’t listen to anybody except for Jeep the people who manufacture and warranty their vehicle.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
I use nothing but Amsoil in all my vehicles. 0W-20 Sig Series, in the JL's case. I run 5W-20 Sig Series on my 700hp Mustang and have been for the last 7 years. Nothing but the best.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'll only use 0w20 that has that Chrysler MS-6395 certification, First change w/ Valvoline, and Pennzoil Platinum from here on out more than likely (as I always stock up when rebates are available). Always had good UOAs on Pennz.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Also in the bizzarro world that we now live in , people will post that I’m the problem and you should not listen to me telling you to listen to Jeep. I know it’s very confusing there is no common sense anymore and everything is backwards. Anyway, people shouldn’t listen to me, they shouldn’t listen to anybody except for Jeep the people who manufacture and warranty their vehicle.
Ah what the hell, I'll listen to you :)

Sponsored

PadreFreddie

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Alfredo Marrero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door, 3.6 manual
I use Mobil One because I saw Don Johnson putting it in his Ferrari in Miami Vice. He also smoked Lucky Strikes and they go together, Mobil One and Lucky Strikes, you know.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Pennzoil 0w-20 is what Jeep wants you to use. But, I wouldn’t follow the oil recommendation by the manufacture. I would ignore the oil recommendation printed on the oil cap and in the owners manual and just take a poll online from anonymous people and ask what they would run.
I recommend 20W-50 conventional Valvoline racing motor oil. used it for years and it was awesome and never let me down of course that was 30 years ago.
Also just put 6 quarts in and hope , that’s what all the dealers are doing and whatever you do don’t check the oil with the dipstick when you’re done changing the oil. just hope it’s close.
While I think Pennzoil is a great oil, I'm sure FCA's "wanting" you to use Pennzoil has nothing to do with their affiliation with each other. :facepalm:;)https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/perf...56b2lsLzIwMTZuZXdzbGV0dGVyLz9sb2NhbGU9ZW5fdXM

To the OP, I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20. Both are fantastic oils and their lab tests in the 3.6 are documented on this forum.

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
For some reason this Jeep Wrangler fourm has the most oil change , oil related threads than any other forums that I frequent by a long long margin , Is there something specific to this jeep that is very confusing to people in regards to the oil?
Some simple common sense and glance under the hood or in the owners manual and ALL , questions would be answered. people don’t know how much oil it takes ? they don’t know how to check the oil ? they don’t know what weight oil to use ? they don’t know what brand of oil ?people just seem genuinely lost for some reason in regards to oil. Jeep printed the oil weight in bright yellow lettering on the oil fill cap to make it idiot proof , It’s like playschool designed the under hood with bright yellow things that a child could figure out, yet people are lost.

First day I bought my Jeep , that night i paged through the owners manual.
Jeep say 5 quarts 0W-20 Pennzoil. So simple. Done. Yet there 100 threads arguing and complaining , confusion. Every new car I ever bought , motorcycle , lawn mower, whatever same procedure read the book do what it says.

If you don’t want to listen to the manufacture of course that’s your decision do what you want , But no need to try and convince other people to do the same wrong thing as you.
You clearly have never visited www.bobistheoilguy.com. That is where OCD people talk about engine oil, transmission fluid, and gear oil.

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I'm at 4600 miles. Just did my second oil change. Both times Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20. First time I used a Mopar filter, this time I used a Mobil 1 EP filter since I got a great deal on a stash through Amazon.

I'm sticking with Pennzoil 0W-20 through at least the warranty as it meets Chrysler specs and a lot of others don't. I may try Pennzoil Ultra Platinum once I hit 10K for the next change sometime around December.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have run 0w20 Mobil 1 EP and AP and a Fram Ultraguard oil filter for over 17k or so miles until the latest oil change. I've had several used oil analyses done with these oils and they came out fine, as expected. I'm currently running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 and again, a Fram Ultraguard filter. My next change will probably see either Mobil 1 EP or Quaker State Ultimate Durability. I have a stash of M1 oil filters purchased on clearance at WalMart for 4 bucks each. They don't filter quite as well as the Fram Ultra, but they are more than good enough.

FCA's MS6395 is one of the weakest standards in the industry. Anything meeting GM Dexos 1 G2 will easily meet MS6395. Also, the only reason Mobil 1 doesn't meet it is because FCA refuses to certify it. Why? Because they are in bed with SOPUS. I have no doubt Mobil 1 and Amsoil would easily and vastly surpass the MS6395 standard, and there is nothing happening in a healthy 3.6 maintained by the book that will break them down, either. Not even close.

I'd consider any reputable brand of oil for my 3.6, as it is easy on oil. If you are worried about it, you are wasting energy. Simply running a Mopar filter and Pennzoil Gold or Platinum will be just fine with this engine, even if you go to 0% on the oil life monitor, which could get you to around 8k miles.

Btw, that guy with the video series comparing oils is fun to watch, but I wouldn't put a whole bunch of stock in his tests. I could pour water and beat all those oils in the flow test, but I doubt water will protect as well. The pressure test is not considered a good test by the oil industry, as it really doesn't simulate what is happening in an engine, even remotely. Finally, the heat test doesn't measure anything but the effect of heat on flow rate, which tells you very little. That said, Amazon Basics (as well as Wal Mart Supertech in some areas) is made by Warren Distribution and is very good oil.

If you are worried, have Blackstone or another outfit do an oil sample analysis for you. It costs about 25 bucks and will give you a little insight on how your engine is doing, and in some cases can help diagnose a serious problem.

I've only got about 2k on the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20, but when I ultimately get to 5k miles, I'll send a sample in for another UOA and will post it up.

Here are some oils I'd be confident to run (Not counting high mileage oils, which I'd consider much later in the engine's life):
Mobil 1, Mobil Super Synthetic (Does meet MS6395--long story as to why FCA allows it), Amsoil, Pennzoil Gold, Platinum, or Ultra Platinum, Valvoline Advanced Syn and Modern Engine, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Havoline synthetic, Castrol synthetics, Napa, Wal Mart Supertech, Amazon Basics, Mag1, Ford Motorcraft, and likely others.

As for filters, I pretty much stick to M1 or Fram, but would be ok with a Mopar (Purolator). I actually steer clear of Napa/Wix, as their filtering efficiency appears not to be competitive. I've called them and they say "99% efficient" but fail to tell you the size of the particles for that measurement, but they admit it is north of 30 microns, last I checked.

Again, the 3.6 is far from the hardest engine on oil. Direct injected and/or turbocharged engines will stress an oil much more.

Finally, why all the obsession with oil? Why not? With a vehicle stickering at over $50,000, I think it is worth thinking a little bit about what oil you use. For me, maintenance is part of the fun of Jeep ownership.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
You clearly have never visited www.bobistheoilguy.com. That is where OCD people talk about engine oil, transmission fluid, and gear oil.
You clearly missed my point. Common sense tells me, a person should expect a dedicated oil change and oil related website would have more oil related threads than a Jeep wrangler forum.
The point is , when comparing this forum to other automotive vehicle forums like Camaro, Mustang or Ford truck etc... this Jeep forum has by far the most oil change questions , problems, misinformation and confusion.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
this Jeep forum has by far the most oil change questions , problems, misinformation and confusion.
I agree and that quote above could just as well apply to the Jeep dealer network as well :(

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
I use Mobil One because I saw Don Johnson putting it in his Ferrari in Miami Vice. He also smoked Lucky Strikes and they go together, Mobil One and Lucky Strikes, you know.
And he only made arrests while wearing the Mauve jacket.... don't ask me how I know....

:)

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic and filter. One oil change a year.
Same here. 0w 20 and both Costco and Sams always have a case of 6 on sale for $10 off. I know, JL only takes 5 quarts.
Sponsored