Oil light indicator wrong?

Cliebo

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sahara Unlimited
I’m exactly 3000 miles from last oil change and message for low oil popped up . Oil life showing 5%. I’ll check the dipstick tomorrow but was surprised i have only 5% left.. I have the 3.6 engine .
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Did you change the last time early and they forgot to reset? Or any heavy rpm or off-roading?

OP
OP

Cliebo

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sahara Unlimited
Did you change the last time early and they forgot to reset? Or any heavy rpm or off-roading?
they def reset the oil caused i checked after they competed last time.

Yes i did go off-roading this past weekend for the first time. Spent 6 hours on trails . Off-roading burns oil fast?

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I’m exactly 3000 miles from last oil change and message for low oil popped up . Oil life showing 5%. I’ll check the dipstick tomorrow but was surprised i have only 5% left.. I have the 3.6 engine .
Your oil life showed 5% after only 3k miles?

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
they def reset the oil caused i checked after they competed last time.

Yes i did go off-roading this past weekend for the first time. Spent 6 hours on trails . Off-roading burns oil fast?
The oil change indicator is not displaying how much oil your engine has burned. It's telling you how much expected "life" the oil has remaining. There are numerous calculations the computer makes to determine the oil life remaining. Things such as idle time, load, throttle position, stop and go vs. highway driving, etc all are factors which affect how many miles you can get between oil changes.

If all of your driving is at highway speeds, you may get 5-6k miles between oil changes (or more). If you do the vast majority of driving in stop and go, high load scenarios (towing, off roading, mountain driving, etc) you can get a lot less mileage between changes.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The oil change indicator is not displaying how much oil your engine has burned. It's telling you how much expected "life" the oil has remaining. There are numerous calculations the computer makes to determine the oil life remaining. Things such as idle time, load, throttle position, stop and go vs. highway driving, etc all are factors which affect how many miles you can get between oil changes.

If all of your driving is at highway speeds, you may get 5-6k miles between oil changes (or more). If you do the vast majority of driving in stop and go, high load scenarios (towing, off roading, mountain driving, etc) you can get a lot less mileage between changes.
Yes, this is an important point: the oil life indicator has nothing to do with how much oil is actually in the car. Case in point, my wife’s Camaro was nearing the end of its oil change interval once. She called me saying it was making a horrible knocking noise and didn’t have any power. I asked her to check the oil level on the dipstick. She said there was no oil showing up on the dipstick, but there should be oil because the computer said “10% Oil Life Remaining.”

I explained that it's merely referring to when the oil should be changed. Long story short, that Camaro ate 6 quarts of oil in 6k miles and seized the engine. Of course this happened just outside of warranty.

Back to jeeps- mine currently reads 35% oil life remaining and it has been 5549 miles since my last oil change, meaning this oil change interval should be 8537 miles. I’ll probably change it at about 6000. My driving has been 90% highway with very little idling or off-roading. And yes, there’s oil on my dipstick :facepalm:

Last edited:

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
The OP said the "low oil" light came on not the oil change reminder. If my low oil light came on I would be checking the dipstick immediately. Those used to be called idiot lights. As far as oil change and intervals those vary widely by your driving style. I could change my JKUR oil before our annual Colorado off road trip and by the time we got home the oil change reminder was going off and that was typically a 1500-1800 mile trip.
Sponsored