Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my question to the 3.0 TD forum: Where is was your oil leak originating from? Read below for the full story.

Took at 5820 mile trip around the Western United States. Stopped in San Diego to get my Ursa Minor top installed. Upon pulling out of their shop they pulled me aside and mentioned an oil spot on their garage floor. They wanted to make sure I knew my Jeep was leaking oil being I was on this trip.

Fast forward about 4000 more miles. I now have 11,600 miles on the Jeep and my garage floor at my house is spotted. I threw a towel under the engine as it sits in the garage awaiting my next adventure. I have a 2nd car that I pound out miles to/from work.

Called ahead to a dealer next to my workplace. I've used them in the past for service with no issues. Advised that I have a leak and it's probably the timing cover. Asked if any known parts were on backorder. No issues. He advised it would be there a good part of a week. I advised no problem, I have a 2nd car to drive anyways.

Dropped the Jeep off the next day. We did check in. He recommended an oil change and rotation. I agreed it had been 6000 miles of hard driving and it was approved. I asked to pay extra for a 5 tire rotation.

He calls the next day. Can't find the oil leak. Come pick it up.

Evidently the warranty process requires them to report WHERE the leak is coming from. Like specifically. He said they added dye to the oil change and that if it does leak again that I can bring it back. I reminded him that I left oil spots from San Diego, Up to Oregon, back down to Vegas, and all the way home to Texas including my garage floor. Jeep warranty would not budge. I asked about the oil covering the bottom of my motor. He stated they need to tell Jeep WHERE it's leaking from.

Is this dumb? Or part of solving issues for future motor builds? He called back later and offered to have a porter drive it around and see if it does continue to leak. I was already half way to his shop (walking down the street) and told him I would take it home. I have a meet and greet this weekend anyways and I need to throw a Dometic cfx3-75Dz in the back. I feel like I should put a Gopro under the Jeep on time warp and record it for a night!
Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Sounds like you're not too far away, my Jeep service shop. Pat the mgr will take care of you guaranteed. Crystal Chrysler Jeep. I could help you out give you a lift home and pick you up when it's ready.

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
Sounds like you're not too far away, my Jeep service shop. Pat the mgr will take care of you guaranteed. Crystal Chrysler Jeep. I could help you out give you a lift home and pick you up when it's ready.
Jeepers helping (total stranger) Jeepers. I love this community. The world needs more of this. Good on you, @Wrangler man

OP, that's some absolute BS. When have you ever heard of a vehicle service department requiring the owner / operator to know what the problem is before they'll service a vehicle?! Owners report symptoms, not causes. It's up to the "factory trained and certified professionals" to diagnose and remedy a problem.

Would you tolerate a doctor saying "You need to know what your ailment is before we'll treat your [fill in the blank] symptoms."? Absolute BS.
Sponsored