Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed an oil leak under the Jeep today, and I’m going to take it in since it’s under warranty. How much effort do I need to put in making it look like o haven’t been wheeling it? I’ll pull all the grass off obviously, but what else?
Jeep Wrangler JL Oil leak C34E038B-3030-462E-806A-66E5AEB3FD5E
Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed an oil leak under the Jeep today, and I’m going to take it in since it’s under warranty. How much effort do I need to put in making it look like o haven’t been wheeling it? I’ll pull all the grass off obviously, but what else?
Jeep Wrangler JL Oil leak C34E038B-3030-462E-806A-66E5AEB3FD5E
Wow that’s definitely an oil leak. Rear main seal maybe?

Keep us updated on the leak. I’m sure they will still fix it without any issues. Off roading shouldn’t cause a leak like that.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Off roading has no relevance to this oil leak. Any good mechanic knows the issue here is at least a failed rear main seal. Don't buy into that BS about it may be a result of being overfilled with oil either.

I've rebuilt enough engines to know that the front and rear main seals can fail fairly soon when inadequately lubed during assembly.

Besides, even if that's not what happened here, I feel like the seals that Jeep uses are not great quality.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just had mine in…rear main seal. They didn’t debate any off-road use and I clearly take it off-road. Shouldn’t have an issue. Assuming the 3.6?

OP
OP
crbrenny

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just had mine in…rear main seal. They didn’t debate any off-road use and I clearly take it off-road. Shouldn’t have an issue. Assuming the 3.6?
Yup, 3.6 with the manual

Sponsored

OP
OP
crbrenny

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I dropped it off at the dealer this morning, despite a future appointment of next Tuesday, figured I'd let it drip in their lot vs. my driveway haha. Also, its their if they have any downtime between the other appointments. I removed/unmarried my tazer, and removed the skidplate I added. Grabbed the grass and pine needles I saw obviously, and that was it.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, 3.6 with the manual
Same here. My tech seemed good, but only eluded to my catch can. He admitted that he didn’t think it was the cause, but that’s all that stuck out to him. Mine has 27k on it. If it does this again…I be trading..

Deleted member 11497

I purchased my 3.6 JLU new from the dealer and took advantage of the included 3 free oil changes from the dealership express lube service department. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned in which I did not change my own oil. A few months ago I noticed oil spots on my very clean garage floor so I crawled under and noticed that it was dripping from both rubber plugs at the bottom of the bell housing. I scheduled service with tthe dealership and they were 8 weeks out on appointments so I got on the list and waited, during this time I rounded up all of my oil change service records and discovered that the very first oil service record noted an oil quantity of 5 quarts added which is consistent with the owner manual's prescribed amount. I then discovered that all 5 subsequent service records noted 6 quarts, not 5. The owners manual clearly stataes that the capacity is 5 quarts and over or unerfilling will cause engine damage. Once I finally got in for my service appointment last week they diagnosed the 3.6 as having a leak on the rear main, both side valve cover gaskets, and a few other seals related to some sort of sensors or sending units elsewhere on the engine. All of this was covered under the 6/60 powertrain warranty. The dealership declined to comment on the overfill situation and so I suggested that they at least make the express lube department aware but still they declind any comment, so i let it go at that. (I have to take some responsibility on myself for not paying attention to the dealer service records indicating 6qts and / or me not noticing the excessive level on the dipstick, but in my defence I will say that the dipstick is somewhat difficult to read on the shiny metal rod and tiny gauging space making it difficult to see that extra quart on the stick, especially being brand new mostly clear synthetic oil) Unfortunately, before all of this .. I had already pre-paid for a service pack of 3 oil changes at a significantly reduced cost and those are non-refundable. I will be changing my own oil again from now on. So .. would anyone like to make an argument that these seal failures were NOT the result of an overfilled crankcase for 23,000 out of the past 26,000 miles??

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I purchased my 3.6 JLU new from the dealer and took advantage of the included 3 free oil changes from the dealership express lube service department. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned in which I did not change my own oil. A few months ago I noticed oil spots on my very clean garage floor so I crawled under and noticed that it was dripping from both rubber plugs at the bottom of the bell housing. I scheduled service with tthe dealership and they were 8 weeks out on appointments so I got on the list and waited, during this time I rounded up all of my oil change service records and discovered that the very first oil service record noted an oil quantity of 5 quarts added which is consistent with the owner manual's prescribed amount. I then discovered that all 5 subsequent service records noted 6 quarts, not 5. The owners manual clearly stataes that the capacity is 5 quarts and over or unerfilling will cause engine damage. Once I finally got in for my service appointment last week they diagnosed the 3.6 as having a leak on the rear main, both side valve cover gaskets, and a few other seals related to some sort of sensors or sending units elsewhere on the engine. All of this was covered under the 6/60 powertrain warranty. The dealership declined to comment on the overfill situation and so I suggested that they at least make the express lube department aware but still they declind any comment, so i let it go at that. (I have to take some responsibility on myself for not paying attention to the dealer service records indicating 6qts and / or me not noticing the excessive level on the dipstick, but in my defence I will say that the dipstick is somewhat difficult to read on the shiny metal rod and tiny gauging space making it difficult to see that extra quart on the stick, especially being brand new mostly clear synthetic oil) Unfortunately, before all of this .. I had already pre-paid for a service pack of 3 oil changes at a significantly reduced cost and those are non-refundable. I will be changing my own oil again from now on. So .. would anyone like to make an argument that these seal failures were NOT the result of an overfilled crankcase for 23,000 out of the past 26,000 miles??
Are you going to revive every old rear main seal thread posting this long story about oil level? It’s a freak thing and has nothing to do with an extra quart of oil.

OP
OP
crbrenny

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The dealership service advisor told me they have had to put in “3 seals” and it’s still leaking. They believe their seals were all defective…not sure that’s believable but at this point o just want my Jeep back

• Wow
Reactions: zyt

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
The dealership service advisor told me they have had to put in “3 seals” and it’s still leaking. They believe their seals were all defective…not sure that’s believable but at this point o just want my Jeep back
Yeah, you have to be super careful putting these seals in otherwise they will leak. Hopefully they didn't damage the mating surfaces even the littlest scratch will cause a leak. I've done a few front seals and you always have to be super careful not to scratch the crankshaft getting the old seal out.

I'm a bit leery about taking my vehicles anywhere these days as most people I deal with in the service industry seem like they're new at this due to the labor shortage.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
They need to get a dial indicator on that crankshaft, but they won’t.

OP
OP
crbrenny

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Got it back, I got some crap about my after market skid plates but not too bad. Should I be concerned about the missing plugs?
Jeep Wrangler JL Oil leak 97975283-4488-4D39-9FF6-A132FCCB1E57

OP
OP
crbrenny

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
No answer to the plug question, but I should certainly be concerned because 8 miles later the Jeep is smoking horribly and has limited to no acceleration. AAA is coming to take it back to the dealership and I’m pretty furious. They had it for 17 days on the rear main seal replacement

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
No answer to the plug question, but I should certainly be concerned because 8 miles later the Jeep is smoking horribly and has limited to no acceleration. AAA is coming to take it back to the dealership and I’m pretty furious. They had it for 17 days on the rear main seal replacement
Wow, that sucks. Best of luck with this whole thing, sucks you are going through all this. Hopefully they can make it right.
Sponsored