Sponsored

Oil leak on brand new 2023 (Update #8 01/10/2023)

Swisskidd

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
57 Corvette, 23 JL Sport Base Earl
Occupation
Automotive Restoration
Update #6 - got a call yesterday that the leak is actually transmission oil/fluid but it sure looks like oil to me and after 2 trips to the first dealer... who knows. At this point they have no idea where the leak is coming from and are going to essentially tear apart the engine and transmission to try and find it. No idea how long they will have it or what the results will be. Won't hear anything until after the holidays I am sure. Sucks that the dealer techs have driven it almost as much as I have now.
They’re going to have to separate the transmission from the engine. I’d assume they will see the origin of the leak once they can pull the converter from the input shaft. Very annoying - yet exactly the reason why there is a factory warranty. Sadly all too often non-complying dealers compound the frustration of a defect; rather than giving the customer a first class repair experience.
Mistakes / Defects can happen -the difference is always how they’re handled/fixed.
Sponsored

Swisskidd

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Restoration
The fluids are nearly indistinguishable. The transmission fluid isn’t red like it used to be.
The red fluid used to have a district smell. Wondering if the modern trans fluid has that same distinction….?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
They’re going to have to separate the transmission from the engine. I’d assume they will see the origin of the leak once they can pull the converter from the input shaft. Very annoying - yet exactly the reason why there is a factory warranty. Sadly all too often non-complying dealers compound the frustration of a defect; rather than giving the customer a first class repair experience.
Mistakes / Defects can happen -the difference is always how they’re handled/fixed.
They already, supposedly, removed the transmission to replace the rear main seal.

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly since they already replaced the rear main seal and completely botched that, what are my expectations now. Not very high I tell you.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The red fluid used to have a district smell. Wondering if the modern trans fluid has that same distinction….?
It’s pretty obvious when you dab it on a white cloth which fluid it is. There’s no yellow undertone to the transmission fluid.

Sponsored

Swisskidd

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Restoration
It’s pretty obvious when you dab it on a white cloth which fluid it is. There’s no yellow undertone to the transmission fluid.
Went back to read page 1 again. Yes - very sad when dealer performs a repair without first distinguishing what type of fluid is actually leaking. Replacing real main seal on engine; without inspecting mating area of transmission. Appears that was done at the first dealer.

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Today's update is the jeep needs a new oil pump. Being told there was a manufacture defect that didn't allow it to seal properly. Parts are all on order and hoping to get it back late next week. Still concerned that issues may crop up later because of not just the problem but also things being taken apart and put back together multiple times. Hope they at least offer an extended warranty or something. by the time I get it back it will have been to 2 different dealers 3 times and been out of service for 24 days out of 60 days of ownership.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Today's update is the jeep needs a new oil pump. Being told there was a manufacture defect that didn't allow it to seal properly. Parts are all on order and hoping to get it back late next week. Still concerned that issues may crop up later because of not just the problem but also things being taken apart and put back together multiple times. Hope they at least offer an extended warranty or something. by the time I get it back it will have been to 2 different dealers 3 times and been out of service for 24 days out of 60 days of ownership.

JEEP. Just Eats Every Part

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Lemon Law that hot turd
Not eligible yet... if it is still leaking when I get it back this time I will insist. So far Jeep and the new dealer are being very careful, saying things like, this is why there is a warranty.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Oil pump? The pump is internal. Leakage just drips back into the oil pan.

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Which is why I post on here... obviously not getting the full story here. The Jeep case worker did say they would be putting an extended warranty on the vehicle but did not state exactly what and for how long yet.

Barney392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Did they say if it was the engine or transmission oil pump? The trans pump can leak externally but the engine pump, as stated above, will not.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Did they say if it was the engine or transmission oil pump? The trans pump can leak externally but the engine pump, as stated above, will not.
Transmission pump would make sense. They really need to train their service staff to better explain to customers what is going on.