Sponsored

Oil leak on brand new 2023 (Update #8 01/10/2023)

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
Having owned 6 Wranglers and 8 CJ’s, let me tell you that Dawn dish soap poured over the oil spots and left to soak a bit, followed by the pressure washer works wonders on oil spots!
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'd give it more time, like a week, before having it taken apart and going deeper. It's a long shot, but it's entirely possible there's some residual oil from the original leak somewhere still working its way out.

Last edited:

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Having owned 6 Wranglers and 8 CJ’s, let me tell you that Dawn dish soap poured over the oil spots and left to soak a bit, followed by the pressure washer works wonders on oil spots!
Holy crap!

I‘m an ancient baby-boomer, and I bought my first new CJ in the summer of 1977, but I’ve only had 4 CJs and 4 Wranglers. You must be about 120 years old (or you wear your jeeps out very quickly!) 😲

Wait… are you saying that jeeps leak oil? I’ve had good luck in that regard — few oil leaks. (But I used to ask friends with Harleys not to park in my driveway because they leaked even more than they burned.🤣😂🤣)

Thanks for the tip, though. I’ll try the dawn dish soap the next time a friend with a Harley forgets where I asked him to park. And if that doesn't work I’ll try the Tang. (I didn‘t know that was still sold.)

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'd give it more time, like a week, before having it taken apart and going deeper. It's a long shot, but it's entirely possible there's some residual oil from the original leak somewhere still working its way out.
Wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt but the amount that is there after wiping it all down underneath and driving it for 4 days, no way is it residual. :swear:

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt but the amount that is there after wiping it all down underneath and driving it for 4 days, no way is it residual. :swear:
You're probably right, but you'd be surprised how much oil can hang around long after a job like that.

A few months ago I had a small leak coming from my oil pan that I fixed by simply replacing the RTV, but I cleaned everything up thoroughly and still had oil collecting along the bottom of the engine and transmission for a good week or so. Turns out there was still some oil resting inside the bell housing I missed. After a few days of tending to the remnants, it eventually stopped and it's been bone dry ever since.

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My email to the Jeep CEO Christian Meunier, got me a phone call. Star Case opened and waiting for them to get us setup to have it looked at by a field tech.

According to the dealer the field tech only comes to their dealership once a month, so they are trying to get us scheduled, that was 3 days ago...

Followed up with the rep who called me and opened the case and was told the dealer isn't responding to her either, so she called the regional manager to hopefully light a fire and get something moving.

For now, Jeep remains parked and leaking :(

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Update #5 - Took the Jeep to a different dealer yesterday. The Jeep rep spoke with the field tech and we were going to take it to one dealer and he told her the same owner, owned that dealership as the one that couldn't fix it already and recommended a different one. So... drive extra miles to try to find a decent dealer. :(

Service advisor knew when we would be there but of course was no where to be found. Another one checked it in and haven't heard anything since. 24 hours now. I really do hope they fix it but some communication would be nice and really getting tired of the process.

Haven't had the jeep 2 months and it has been out of commission /leaking for almost the entire time. Of course the first month I didn't know it was leaking, which is even more frustrating.

Last edited:

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Sorry you are having to deal with this on a brand new vehicle. I had a similar oil leak when I brought home by brand new 2020 JL Rubicon. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the head gasket valve cover gasket. They said it sometimes gets nicked during installation. I was very disappointed to see oil in the same area immediately after the repair, but it did turn out to be remnant oil which they didn't wipe down and was slowly working it's way down the engine. It's been 3 years now and no issues since. I hope you eventually have a similar positive outcome.

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Sorry you are having to deal with this on a brand new vehicle. I had a similar oil leak when I brought home by brand new 2020 JL Rubicon. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the head gasket. They said it sometimes gets nicked during installation. I was very disappointed to see oil in the same area immediately after the repair, but it did turn out to be remnant oil which they didn't wipe down and was slowly working it's way down the engine. It's been 3 years now and no issues since. I hope you eventually have a similar positive outcome.
Do you mean valve cover gasket?

Sponsored

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Do you mean valve cover gasket?
Yes, you are correct. They replaced the valve cover gasket. It was leaking small drops of oil onto my garage floor the first week I brought it home, but fortunately when they replaced the valve cover gasket, the problem was resolved.

Last edited:
OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Update #6 - got a call yesterday that the leak is actually transmission oil/fluid but it sure looks like oil to me and after 2 trips to the first dealer... who knows. At this point they have no idea where the leak is coming from and are going to essentially tear apart the engine and transmission to try and find it. No idea how long they will have it or what the results will be. Won't hear anything until after the holidays I am sure. Sucks that the dealer techs have driven it almost as much as I have now.

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Occupation
Retired
Break cleaner works well on oil stains too.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

My jeep was leaking for a few weeks on my nice driveway. I just kitty litter and ground it in with my foot. Worked great. While it was leaking i ended up putting a large piece of cardboard under it till it was resolved.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Update #6 - got a call yesterday that the leak is actually transmission oil/fluid but it sure looks like oil to me and after 2 trips to the first dealer... who knows. At this point they have no idea where the leak is coming from and are going to essentially tear apart the engine and transmission to try and find it. No idea how long they will have it or what the results will be. Won't hear anything until after the holidays I am sure. Sucks that the dealer techs have driven it almost as much as I have now.
The fluids are nearly indistinguishable. The transmission fluid isn’t red like it used to be.
Sponsored