Sponsored

Oil leak on brand new 2023 (Update #8 01/10/2023)

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Have an appt with the dealer tomorrow but if anyone has any ideas. Noticed some oil spots in the drive way and crawled under to take a look. Have had it for a month, only 300 miles on it. Not leaking a lot but still a concern. No warning lights or anything yet. Checked under the hood with a light and can't see oil dripping anywhere else.

2023 2 door Willys with 2.0 and auto

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil leak on brand new 2023 (Update #8 01/10/2023) IMG_1192.JPEG
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
If it is in the area where the engine and transmission join, the the leak maybe main seal.

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
No surprise... not happy with the dealer service. They said they put dye in the oil and removed and put on a new gasket for the upper oil pan. waited a day and saw no leaks. Drove it home and looked under. Surprise... oil drop. I wiped it off, hoping maybe they just dribbled a little. Nothing else dripping yet but haven't driven it again yet.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Hope they got it fixed. Recommend keeping a record of when, where, and how much oil was discovered. Though rare, It is also possible to have an engine with a bad cast that is causing the issue. Please keep us updated.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
If they scope the bell housing and it's dry, it might just be the oil pan. Easy fix for them, they just need to pull it and reseal it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Update # 2 and #3

Initial repair was upper oil pan gasket... according to the dealer. Drove it home, had the same oil leak.

Waited until after the Holidays to take it back in and this time they Dropped the transmission and found a leak in the rear main seal. Said they had never had a new jeep with that issue, had to order a seal/gasket, they didn't have any. 8 days at the dealer get it back yesterday. no oil present... yay.

Drive it 15 miles last night, take a look this morning and here we are again :mad:

Live in Cali, not in lemon law territory yet (I don't think) this is frustrating and starting to make the wife feel this vehicle is unsafe.

Been out of service 10 days and to the dealer twice for the same problem.

Less than 500 miles on a brand new jeep.

@JeepCares can you maybe step in here and DM me.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil leak on brand new 2023 (Update #8 01/10/2023) oil leak

Last edited:

BIGW0RM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Raptor // 22 M3 Comp X // 20 RRS
Update # 2 and #3

Initial repair was upper oil pan gasket... according to the dealer. Drove it home, had the same oil leak.

Waited until after the Holidays to take it back in and this time they Dropped the transmission and found a leak in the rear main seal. Said they had never had a new jeep with that issue, had to order a seal/gasket, they didn't have any. 8 days at the dealer get it back yesterday. no oil present... yay.

Drive it 15 miles last night, take a look this morning and here we are again :mad:

Live in Cali, not in lemon law territory yet (I don't think) and it is not dumping all the oil out but this is frustrating and starting to make the wife feel this vehicle is unsafe.

I have had 3 buy backs in my life so far. Most of them in the past 3 years. You have every right to use the lemon law. If you take it back for the same problem 3 times or of it sits at the dealer a total of 30 days, its an automatic easy buy back. I did not need a lawyer. If that's the route you want to go, call jeep now and document every single visit and time spent at dealer. That way they have some history notes on it and just flat out tell them you want to speak to the buy back people. If they resist, tell them you really don't want to involve lawyers. Typically they will get you to that department by then.

Read this.

https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/lemonlaw_qa.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@BIGW0RM thanks... maybe I fall under the category:
Your vehicle’s problems could cause death or serious bodily injury if it is driven, and the manufacturer or dealer has made at least two unsuccessful repair attempts.

Going to start escalating.

Dealer just called me back and said... maybe its just residual. wipe it off and see if ti comes back after 3 or 4 days. :lipssealed:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update # 2 and #3

Live in Cali, not in lemon law territory yet (I don't think) this is frustrating and starting to make the wife feel this vehicle is unsafe.

Less than 500 miles on a brand new jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil leak on brand new 2023 (Update #8 01/10/2023) oil leak
Thank you for tagging us. We would be happy to dig in further. Feel free to send us a private message or call Jeep Cares at 877-426-5337.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Drove it the last 4 days and it is still leaking just as much as it was. Waiting on the call from Jeep cares on the case.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Third time is a charm. Let them have it back and buy another one.

…and send them a bill for the oil stains on the driveway. This is not what new jeep ownership is supposed to be like.

Maybe @JeepCares can help you facilitate the return.

OP
OP
millerjl

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you that really did piss me off. Lived in this house 4 years and didn’t have a spot in the driveway until now. :punch: Will keep everyone updated on the situation.