Oil leak on 2021 2.0T, w/27k miles

Sting

First Name
Arron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR - Sting Grey
I have just over 27k miles on my 2021 JLUR with the 2.0 turbo engine, and I've discovered what appears to be a small oil leak. However I'm unable to tell where its coming from. The oil appears on the bottom of where the transmission bell housing and engine mate up, and partially on the passengers side of the transmission bell housing.

Does the 2.0T have any common oil leaking issues? Any input is appreciated.
(EDIT: Gas engine only/ non e-torque)

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil leak on 2021 2.0T, w/27k miles IMG_3302

It almost looks like a leaky rear main seal, but its too new of a vehicle IMO to have those issues... and its not an old inline six 4.0L.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil leak on 2021 2.0T, w/27k miles IMG_3303

UPDATE (5.2.23): Slightly worse oil saturation around the block/bell housing area. I've dropped it off at dealer after the dealer put dye in the oil.
Jeep Wrangler JL Oil leak on 2021 2.0T, w/27k miles Jeep_5_1_23

UPDATE (6.6.23): The dealer confirmed the rear main seal is leaking (on 5.2.23), but I'm still waiting on parts (the rear main seal) more than a month later. Oil saturation around the block/bell housing area has turned into a decent drip on my garage floor. I'm avoiding driving it now due to the increase in oil leakage. My brand new jeep feels more like a old broke down Jeep. šŸ˜ž

UPDATE (6.26.23): Almost 2 month after being diagnosed with a leaking rear main seal, and the dealership finally has all the parts in to fix it. I've dropped the Jeep off, and I'll update the thread post repair.

UPDATE (7.10.23): Just got my Jeep back this evening. It took much longer than they said, but they did provide me with a rental. No leaking so far. However they did forget to put two of the rubber inspection plugs back. Arrows point to the plugs, and I've circled where the missing plugs should be.
Jeep Wrangler JL Oil leak on 2021 2.0T, w/27k miles IMG_4132
Sponsored

Last edited:

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 was leaking from the oil separator, which is on the back side of the engine, towards the passenger side. At first, I thought it was an RMS leak, but I also had some oil on the passenger side of the block, above the oil pan.

Dealer did a dye test and found the source. It took almost two weeks to get the new oil separator unit. I continued driving it while waiting for the part as the leak wasn't substantial and I never had to add any additional oil. I've seen a few others on the forum with a leaking oil separator unit. The good thing is it's covered by the 5 year/60K mile powertrain warranty if you're past the 3 year/36K mile warranty.

Best bet is to have a dye test done to determine origin of leak.

OP
OP

Sting

First Name
Arron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR - Sting Grey
I took it to the dealer, and they were unable to determine where its leaking from. The dealer cleaned up the surface area that had a small amount of "saturation" and added dye to the oil. They've told me to return once its leaking again. I will provide additional updates as they come.

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Going thru the same. 2019 with etorque. At dealer now, waiting for update. 37,000 miles. Been sitting at the dealer for 3 days, they havenā€™t touched it yet.

30FD606F-B853-4F49-ADF7-20C52D0DB0DF.jpeg

1B922BB6-3895-4597-A765-BCD4225346C2.jpeg

Gabriela1179

First Name
Gabriela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sport 2.0 I4 Turbo Engine
Going thru the same. 2019 with etorque. At dealer now, waiting for update. 37,000 miles. Been sitting at the dealer for 3 days, they havenā€™t touched it yet.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil leak on 2021 2.0T, w/27k miles 1B922BB6-3895-4597-A765-BCD4225346C2

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil leak on 2021 2.0T, w/27k miles 1B922BB6-3895-4597-A765-BCD4225346C2
Question! How did you noticed this? Did you get some type of alert on your dashboard or did something stopped working? I'm asking because i feel like im dealing w the same issue but the dealer sent me back home and said to give it a couple more days to see if i get the same error. My warranty ends in Sep and im afraid they just want to send me home so that my warranty expires

Sponsored

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
Question! How did you noticed this? Did you get some type of alert on your dashboard or did something stopped working? I'm asking because i feel like im dealing w the same issue but the dealer sent me back home and said to give it a couple more days to see if i get the same error. My warranty ends in Sep and im afraid they just want to send me home so that my warranty expires
Noticed a leak on my garage floor

the dealer came back with a leaky oil separator. It is on back order, no ETA. Took them a week to look at it, on second week waiting for parts

Gabriela1179

First Name
Gabriela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sport 2.0 I4 Turbo Engine
Noticed a leak on my garage floor

the dealer came back with a leaky oil separator. It is on back order, no ETA. Took them a week to look at it, on second week waiting for parts
Thank you for your response!

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Is the oil separator easy to see from under the jeep? Sorry for the bump but Iā€™m chasing an oil leak thatā€™s on the passenger side now. Itā€™s dripped down enough that it looks like an RMS leak.

Doubleaaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
I just got my JLRU back from the dealer last week.
They really did a number on it

they had to take quite a bit of stuff off to get to it. From what I understand, fuse box, possibibly wheel well, and some other stuff

they had to remove the intake manifold to get to it

the oil separator was on back order for over a month.
They broke the fuse box adapter mount (black plastic box under the fuse box), scratched the crap out of the hood from resting it against the wind shield, broken cable clips everywhere, overfilled the coolant ( coolant/oil everywhere). They stood in the front bumper and scratched the crap out of it, as well as the fender flairs.

They tried to blame me for pre-existing damage, but got quiet when I showed pictures of the vehicle when I dropped it off.
When asked why I took pictures, I said that EVERY TIME I BRING IT IN, they break something.
Still replacing minor stuff they broke, but thatā€™s a different story. They also looked at their shop video and dropped their claims pretty quickly

if you have a competent dealer, suggest you have them do it.
Unfortunately, the same dealership owns both locations in my city, so I am kind of screwed

the par

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I just got my JLRU back from the dealer last week.
They really did a number on it

they had to take quite a bit of stuff off to get to it. From what I understand, fuse box, possibibly wheel well, and some other stuff

they had to remove the intake manifold to get to it

the oil separator was on back order for over a month.
They broke the fuse box adapter mount (black plastic box under the fuse box), scratched the crap out of the hood from resting it against the wind shield, broken cable clips everywhere, overfilled the coolant ( coolant/oil everywhere). They stood in the front bumper and scratched the crap out of it, as well as the fender flairs.

They tried to blame me for pre-existing damage, but got quiet when I showed pictures of the vehicle when I dropped it off.
When asked why I took pictures, I said that EVERY TIME I BRING IT IN, they break something.
Still replacing minor stuff they broke, but thatā€™s a different story. They also looked at their shop video and dropped their claims pretty quickly

if you have a competent dealer, suggest you have them do it.
Unfortunately, the same dealership owns both locations in my city, so I am kind of screwed

the par
Do you by chance have a part number from the invoice? Sounds like something Id wanna tackle with my dad than trust a dealer

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Is the oil separator easy to see from under the jeep? Sorry for the bump but Iā€™m chasing an oil leak thatā€™s on the passenger side now. Itā€™s dripped down enough that it looks like an RMS leak.
You can't see it from underneath. Possibly only way to see it is if you are looking directly down onto the engine.

When mine was leaking, it looked just like a bad RMS from underneath. There was no oil dripping on driver side, all on passenger side and from bell housing.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you by chance have a part number from the invoice? Sounds like something Id wanna tackle with my dad than trust a dealer
My service advisor made it sound like there's quite a bit of stuff to remove to get to it and it's an all day repair. While it's probably nothing too major to do on your own, with how the plastic parts under the hood easily break, I'm comfortable letting the dealership handle and be responsible.

Although, I guess it depends on how competent your service department is. I've never had an issue with mine. I use a specific service advisor, who I've known for years. Both him and the service manager know the work I've done to it and they take good care of me.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
You can't see it from underneath. Possibly only way to see it is if you are looking directly down onto the engine.

When mine was leaking, it looked just like a bad RMS from underneath. There was no oil dripping on driver side, all on passenger side and from bell housing.
That sounds like exactly what iā€™ve got leaking. Just trying to find a photo online now. Thanks.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0