yuria0523

First Name
Sanghon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl wrangler overland
from bottom oil is leaking.
i think it from foil covered some sort of sensor as shown in image. Can someone tell me what that part is? thanks!!!

49746FD0-8EAB-436F-836D-A3B024214F7C.jpeg
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

can you take a pic from further away? you can see a little oil on the sensor but if that is further towards the back of the jeep than it could be blowing backwards from a drip up top. you can see the motor mount bolt has oil as well. makes me think its coming from up higher

Petes_392

First Name
Jamey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grand Cherokee, 2021 Rubicon 392
If it's a 3.6, pop the hood and look at the oil filter housing. Right on top front center of the motor. I had a JK that looked like it was coming from the aft end of the motor somewhere and turns out it was the oil filter/cooler housing. Oil was pooling and then dripping down and back.
I dont know if this is still a Problem with these, but I know it used to be.
Jeep Wrangler JL oil leak from bottom plz help images.jpeg-1
Jeep Wrangler JL oil leak from bottom plz help Capture+_2017-11-21-12-34-01

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
If it's a 3.6, pop the hood and look at the oil filter housing. Right on top front center of the motor. I had a JK that looked like it was coming from the aft end of the motor somewhere and turns out it was the oil filter/cooler housing. Oil was pooling and then dripping down and back.
Unfortunately this leak is still a problem with the 3.6 oil coolers even with a few revisions to it. Last spring you couldn't find them anywhere with dealers selling 60+ a month they were backordered. Crazy thing is they seem to leak more when its extremely cold.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I just replaced this myself, since I'm out of warranty, on my 2018. I didn't have oil pooling there, but it was slowly caking on my valve covers (which I originally thought was the problem) and some was resting in the valley when I got it apart.

If you can get your hands on an aftermarket oil filter housing made of anything other than plastic, I'd go that route, although under warranty the dealership probably won't do that. These things are built notoriously cheap from the factory. Time wasn't on my side, so I had to replace mine with another Mopar unit, but my dealership actually had a boatload in stock because they sell tons of them.

Sponsored

cheekibreeki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sahara JL
It is still a problem. We sell them things like hot cakes, you can do a "cheap" fix of getting the gasket kit from chrysler but it's hit or miss. Plastic will never last going through hot/cold cycles

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I just replaced this myself, since I'm out of warranty, on my 2018. I didn't have oil pooling there, but it was slowly caking on my valve covers (which I originally thought was the problem) and some was resting in the valley when I got it apart.

If you can get your hands on an aftermarket oil filter housing made of anything other than plastic, I'd go that route, although under warranty the dealership probably won't do that. These things are built notoriously cheap from the factory. Time wasn't on my side, so I had to replace mine with another Mopar unit, but my dealership actually had a boatload in stock because they sell tons of them.
Dorman makes the only aluminum oil filter adapter out there, and of the 3 I have installed, one failed and leaked immediately. You cannot get the gaskets that mount the cooler to the oil filter adapter, for whatever stupid reason.

The dorman part is now back ordered.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Dorman makes the only aluminum oil filter adapter out there, and of the 3 I have installed, one failed and leaked immediately. You cannot get the gaskets that mount the cooler to the oil filter adapter, for whatever stupid reason.

The dorman part is now back ordered.
Well, in that case...

Jeep Wrangler JL oil leak from bottom plz help download
Sponsored