Oil leak - Covered under Warranty?

RobW

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
First time Jeep owner... After three weeks of ownership, we took our Sahara out for our first off road experience at a local off road park. Being our first timers, our goal was to take things slow. Easy on the mud/water and spend most of our time climbing/descending hills safely. About 45 minutes into our day we climbed our steepest hill. At the top of the hill we discovered standing water at the bottom of the other side. (First lesson learned. - Walk the trail to see what's on the other side.) As we slowly entered what appeared to be shallow water to attempt our crossing, I pondered pulling the drain plugs from my Jeep floormats and putting them back in the floorboards. (Second and third lessons learned - trust your instincts and check water depth with a stick.)

Long story short, we got stuck and had to be winched out. Water came in through the floormats. I spent the next day pressuring washing the mud out from under the Jeep as well as pulling out the carpets and hosing them down. Other than my pride, everything seemed to be good. The next day I discovered an oil leak near the bell housing inspection plugs. I saw someone else had posted that they had leaks at that main seal. I can’t quite determine if that is the leak location or not.

Anyway, I have a service appointment scheduled and my question is how does warranty factor into this equation? Because I took the Jeep off road, am I responsible for all problems encountered afterward? Looking at the bottom of the vehicle, there don’t appear to be any scuffs near the drivetrain. This was hardly Moab. This is more comparable to something that might happen at a construction site.
Advertisement

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
@RobW

Just clean the Jeep up good inside, outside and down under.

When you go to the service department appointment, do not volunteer all that you mentioned here.. Don't talk off roading, etc.. Do not volunteer you took it off roading..

If off roading is mentioned minimize what you did off road wise.. the less say the better.

Unless you did in fact damage the vehicle slamming it on a boulder, etc. (they have to prove and you have to deny) they will just do the repair under warranty.

In closing, the less you say the better in a situation like this. Keep your mouth shut.. :like:

It will undoubtedly be covered under warranty. Be sure to tell service writer you want any and all recall and or updates done. Might as well get your freebe oil change too if it is due.

grill-avatar.jpg

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
I will say no matter how hard you clean they will see the mud and junk from being stuck. Recalls will be done for free. Updates are not permitted unless you have a complaint that matches the update, FCA has cracked down on doing unnecessary updates. The oil leak will be covered regardless.

OP
OP

RobW

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I will say no matter how hard you clean they will see the mud and junk from being stuck. Recalls will be done for free. Updates are not permitted unless you have a complaint that matches the update, FCA has cracked down on doing unnecessary updates. The oil leak will be covered regardless.
I’ve spent what feels like hours laying on the ground trying to pressure wash all the traces of mud, but when everything drys and I scoot myself under the Jeep I find dozens of places I’ve missed. Unless I had access to a lift, I couldn’t agree more...it’s just not possible to remove all traces of mud. I guess FCA can’t market a vehicle as being “Trail Rated” and include a warranty if the warranty is void after using the vehicle as designed. All I know is I’ll be furious if I’m charged to repair an oil leak on a vehicle with less than 700 miles...

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see how coming into contact with water would cause an oil leak. It's just coincidence.

DivingPyrate

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Musle Cars Shopping for a Jeep
considering the spec plate on the vehicle says its capable of a 30 inch water ford I don't think warranty will be an issue
unless we are not getting all the story

Advertisement

Smart Stop Start

Advertisement