Sponsored

Oil in the first 500 - 1,000 miles in the 392 Hemi

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Just curious how much oil people end up putting in their 392 engines for the first 500 - 1,000 miles?
Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I'm getting ready for my change at 800 miles and I'll find out.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I didn’t even check mine during break in. Just dumped it at 1100 miles and swapped to the larger SRT oil filter. Changing it again at 5K then every 5K after that.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I didn’t even check mine during break in. Just dumped it at 1100 miles and swapped to the larger SRT oil filter. Changing it again at 5K then every 5K after that.
Hey Miles, do you have the part number for that larger filter.

Sponsored

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
How much to they usually burn. I changed mine at 1k and im at 3.7k right now and the oil life is around 57%. Ive check the dipstick and cant really tell where its at. It still looks very clean

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Last edited:
OP
OP
Hearhear

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
How much to they usually burn. I changed mine at 1k and im at 3.7k right now and the oil life is around 57%. Ive check the dipstick and cant really tell where its at. It still looks very clean
Well that’s my problem. To me the dipstick could have been designed better, it’s hard for me to tell where the oil level is. The tiny crosshatch area on the end of the dipstick is hardly bigger than a thumbnail, and when you turn it around different ways you get different readings.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hearhear

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Do you mean your 392 is burning oil?
No, but I’ve added about 1/4 of a quart at 700 miles. Maybe I didn’t need to? My biggest problem, like someone else mentioned, is reading the dipstick. The tiny crosshatch area at the end of the dipstick makes it hard to get an accurate reading. When I turn the dipstick different ways, I get different readings. Reason why I check it so much is because the manual tells you to.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Well that’s my problem. To me the dipstick could have been designed better, it’s hard for me to tell where the oil level is. The tiny crosshatch area on the end of the dipstick is hardly bigger than a thumbnail, and when you turn it around different ways you get different readings.
right now im at 57% oil life. From what ive understood is that the MDS of the 6.4L kills the oil

Ronin-go

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Pontiac Firebird, 1968 GMC stepside, 2009 G8
right now im at 57% oil life. From what ive understood is that the MDS of the 6.4L kills the oil
How does it do that? What evidence is that of that happening?

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
The most recent oil change for my 2021 Scat Pack Challenger had 3,100 miles on it the oil monitor was at 49%. Drained out 6 quarts 30 ounces it was down 2 ounces. The manual says the max time for oil changes for Hellcats and 392's is 6 months regardless of mileage. I use the MO-899 filter since it had that type from the factory. The MO-041 SRT filter works too it was developed for the Viper.

Left Field

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 RS-SS Camaro, 2021 JLUR392
At 2500 miles mine was middle of the cross hatch range. My recollection is that it was at the full mark when delivered. Adding half a quart brought it back to full as I was leaving on an extended trip. When I changed it at 5700 miles it was still on the full mark. So it looks like it burned a little during break-in to seat the rings, but now the oil burn appears to be negligible. With 2000 miles since the oil change it is still on the full mark.

For reading the dipstick, I find it has residual oil all over it when I first pull it so very hard to read. I wipe it down and take a new reading which seems much easier to read.
Sponsored