Oil filter WIX XP vs Fram Ultra?

Caleb75

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
About to do my first oil change on my 2020 JL Unlimited Altitude Sport. I am sure the Mopar filter is fine but I want to use the best I can. Looking at WIX XP(NAPA platinum) or Fram Ultra. What are you guys using? Anybody got any filtration specs?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Caleb75

Caleb75

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
I have always used the Wix on my JK and now on my JL. Don't really have any evidence that it is better although some of the Fram stuff can be pretty cheap.
I also used Wix (NAPA Gold) on my JKU. I also used the Fram Ultra a couple of times. Never used any other of the Fram oil filters. I have also heard that their other levels are not great

tee barry

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2020 JL Sport
I prefer Wix oil filters. Have used them for over 40 years, but recently saw a video of several brands of oil filters disected and wix stood out as one of the best of the group, do not remember which other appeared to be a quality filter since the filters i currently use appear to be of excellent quality.

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The efficiency of the FRAM Ultra is 99% @ 20um and it has been verified using the ISO 4548-12 and SAE HS806 tests. The efficiency of the WIX XP is 50% @20um and this has been stated multiple times by WIX themselves. Will you see any appreciable difference in engine life by using one or the other? Doubtful. I would choose the cheapest one and go from there.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't Fram made in china! I think that about sums it up
I am afraid not. For the price point, there is not another filter that outperforms the FRAM Ultra, and its performance has been proven using ISO and SAE tests. In addition, short of the OEM Mopar, I have not found another filter that is not made somewhere in Asia (China, Korea, Malaysia).

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So how does the Mopar filter compare?
I have not found any efficiency data on the Mopar filter. However, the media is cellulose and glass blended which is better than cellulose alone. The biggest issue I have seen with most (if not all) of the filters for the 3.6L engine is the media twist that happens. Both FRAM Ultra and WIX XP are supported with backing (nylon webbing on the FRAM and steel webbing on the WIX), this is makes them much more impervious to twisting and potential media failure. In the end, none of them are "bad", it is just that some of them are "better".

Sponsored

Zorba

Wix here - whenever possible. There are two things I never put into/on any engine - not even my lawnmower: Penzoil and Fram.
With that said, I too have heard good things about the Fram Ultra.

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is an oil filter study. It is somewhat old, last update Jan 2008 but very informative.
Oil Filters Revealed:
http://minimopar.net/oilfilters/index.html
From the study
Opinions and Recommendations:
http://minimopar.net/oilfilters/opinions.html
Here is a more recent study Feb 2011
Oil Filter Comparison Study
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

I don't have a recommendation but based on the studies I use Puolator or Wix.
A lot has changed in 10 years. Purolator who was once the cream of the crop has experienced lots of tears in the media and issues with the ADBV. They also make Motorcraft filters and the FL-820s has been riddled with tears in the media. Mann+Hummel bought Purolator and WIX and has done nothing to improve the quality issues with Purolator. One can only hope the Purolator issues do not bleed over into WIX, now that M+H owns both of them. FRAM has gone from a lower brand to having the best filter for the price point in the FRAM Ultra. Lots of things have changed...
Sponsored