Sponsored

Oil filter WIX XP vs Fram Ultra?

Powerwagon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1982 Jeep CJ5, 2017 Powerwagon
A lot has changed in 10 years. Purolator who was once the cream of the crop has experienced lots of tears in the media and issues with the ADBV. They also make Motorcraft filters and the FL-820s has been riddled with tears in the media. Mann+Hummel bought Purolator and WIX and has done nothing to improve the quality issues with Purolator. One can only hope the Purolator issues do not bleed over into WIX, now that M+H owns both of them. FRAM has gone from a lower brand to having the best filter for the price point in the FRAM Ultra. Lots of things have changed...
I agree, FRAM has many different filter lines that people lump them into one group. I use the FRAM Ultra also and have used the FRAM HP series in everything from high performance boats, Diesels and muscle cars and never had a problem. Now the $2.99 FRAM's at Walmart... NO ! WIX, K&N are also very good IMHO.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
A former Fram engineer that used to be on BITOG said in standard tests their proprietary synthetic media in the ultra not only filtered better than competitors, but had better flow, as well.

In my UOA's, the Ultra had a lower insolubles number than the Mobil 1 filter I just ran. However, the M1 filter was in there for a little longer than the longest Fram run 8k vs. 7.5k and I only ran the M1 for one OCI. After a few runs and UOA's we'll see if the M1 can match it. So far, though, advantage Fram. I don't see any evidence it goes into bypass more often. It is also a 20k filter, so it should have high capacity for holding insolubles. The M1 is rated for 20k, too.

I'm running the M1 because I got them for $4 each on clearance. The M1, btw, is rated at 99% at 30 microns compared to the Fram's 99+% at 20. While that is significant on paper, it probably won't make much, if any difference in the life of the engine if running a good quality oil and changing the oil/filter at the recommendation of the oil life monitor.

I do agree with @CarbonSteel . I think your engine will last plenty long and run perfectly well on any reputable filter.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
True, but holding capacity has to be factored in, too. At least a part of that equation is filter media area. That starts to get into data I haven't seen and I'm not sure they all publish. I tried to take an Ultra apart after running it and it was so tightly put together and well bonded with the nylon webbing that I had to use pliers to tear it apart and it took a lot of force. I couldn't get the pleats to come apart in a way that I could lay it out and see the area. I'm planning to tear apart the M1 filter that just came out to see how it is made but also to see if we can get an idea of the area.

Even if run a long time, I doubt the Pentastar will go into bypass any more than when the filter is brand new. I'd bet there is plenty of flow and filtering capacity to handle what that engine throws at it, even at high rpm/high oil pressure.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
Last edited:

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
True, but holding capacity has to be factored in, too.
It does and unless an engine is seriously gunked up, the holding capacity will not be reached in any reasonable OCI. Synthetic media also has a higher particle holding capacity than cellulose or blended media:

"Synthetic filter media generally have a higher dirt-holding capacity than cellulose. This is due in part to their more consistent pore size throughout the media. Synthetic fibers are smaller than cellulose fibers, so they can be packed tighter together, creating more pores in which to trap and hold particles. Synthetic fibers also perform better in the harsh environments that tend to destroy cellulose filters."

Wes_Back_Page_Circles_Filters.jpg

Synthetic media vs. Cellulose media

Generally speaking, for the price point and level of performance obtained, the FRAM Ultra is nearly impossible to beat.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29114/dirt-holding-capacity

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
It does, but unless the engine is sludged, filters never come close to full capacity, I have not seen one yet on a normally operating engine. I am skeptical that a remote filter setup will be created for the 3.6L engine. What would be gained?

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
I just did my first oil change on mine and I went with K&N HP-7026. Yeah, it's more expensive, but the total added cost over the first 100,000 miles is about $150, not much in the grand scheme of a $57,000 Jeep.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
Now if anyone on here works or worked for Champion Lab will comment on oil filters...... They was the company making oil and fuel filters in USA at different plants, quite a few of my family worked for them. There may be another company making them too I don't know who that is. Some had different specs for drain back valve and pleats in filter media. The details was not passed on of what company A required from from company B filters but many different brands was manufactured on same machines and assemble lines. I was told by family members that worked there ones to avoid but that's old / out of date info now. I did see them using certain brands of filters only. Might have been due to them "falling off of a truck" some where.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 GC
Here is an oil filter study. It is somewhat old, last update Jan 2008 but very informative.
Oil Filters Revealed:
http://minimopar.net/oilfilters/index.html
From the study
Opinions and Recommendations:
http://minimopar.net/oilfilters/opinions.html
Here is a more recent study Feb 2011
Oil Filter Comparison Study
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

I don't have a recommendation but based on the studies I use Puolator or Wix.

I used to work at an auto parts store and I've cited this Mini Mopar page several times when telling people to use either the Wix or the Purolator when available. Sadly, the Purolators have limited availability in many parts of the country, but they are good filters.

Sponsored

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 GC
DO NOT use any Fram basic filter or any generic filters (usually low grade Fram). What's the best buy on filters? If you're going to keep the Jeep for awhile, go to RockAuto or Amazon and order a case of Wix or Mobil1 filters. Also, Oreilly does specials on oil and filters where you can generally "upgrade" to a Wix, WixXP, or Mobil1 filter for a couple bucks more.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The Fram Ultra Synthetic is one of the best, if not the best filter on the market right now. Not even close to the Fram Orange Can of Death that so many base their opinion on.

There are a lot of cheap filters on the market, mostly house brands. Many are sold st the quick oil change places where you don't even know what filter you are getting. And don't assume that your are getting a Mopar filter when you get an oil change at the dealer.

Filters are mostly chunk catchers anyway, which is a blunt way of saying that hey don't clean oil. They catch the larger particles when they happen to pass into the filter. The dirtier a filter gets, the better it is at catching those particles. The problem with cheap filters is that when they are new, they allow larger particles through and the media may tear at some time during their use.

There are a lot of good filters on the market, there is not one that is head and shoulders above the rest, but there a lot of bad ones.
Sponsored