Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I'm not a fram expert here, but looking at the picture on walmart, the new one has the black o-ring. The one that broke has an orange o-ring.

Looking at some other pictures online, I think mwilk02 was correct in saying that it's a fram titanium, FS11665.

Looking at this though, I think I'll stick with mopar filters. I always hear bad things about aftermarket filters, but haven't heard much about OEM filters.
Jeep Wrangler JL Oil filter tip broke off 1615896812739
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've been using Wix filters in everything for years now. I bought a box of 10 of these before the first oil change.
20210316_060440.jpg

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using Wix filters in everything for years now. I bought a box of 10 of these before the first oil change.
Wix filters are excellent, not surprising they'd have a good option for our engines. Good to know if I need one in a pinch. I just use the OEM because my dealer gives them to me at a pretty decent price, and I like talking to the parts guys every now and then

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Anything that is mass produced is going to have a failure now and again. No one likes it when it happens to them, but to think it could never happen is not living in reality.

I want to know what oil brand and type and how long the filter and oil were ran. The oil looks pretty nasty from the photos.

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
Anything that is mass produced is going to have a failure now and again. No one likes it when it happens to them, but to think it could never happen is not living in reality.

I want to know what oil brand and type and how long the filter and oil were ran. The oil looks pretty nasty from the photos.
Agreed anything that's mass produced has an accepted failure rate even. It's just what it is. The oil though idk kinda cloudy, maybe just short trips not getting all the condensation out. My oil gets pretty dark, much darker by the end of the OCI and a little over quart is consumed total, I top it up once usually. I have very mixed use, city driving, 200km/day commute, occasional offroading.

It's really, really hard to tell the condition of oil visually nowadays. Without an oil analysis it's hard to tell anything about the condition of oil unless you have a really drastic issue (fuel dilution, metal in filter/pan etc). I'm an apprentice heavy diesel mechanic, we do oil analysis on suspect units and it's surprising how much information you can get from it. The company also runs oil life analysis studies to determine our service intervals, some are 10k miles some are 50k miles depending on the engine and use case

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed anything that's mass produced has an accepted failure rate even. It's just what it is. The oil though idk kinda cloudy, maybe just short trips not getting all the condensation out. My oil gets pretty dark, much darker by the end of the OCI and a little over quart is consumed total, I top it up once usually. I have very mixed use, city driving, 200km/day commute, occasional offroading.

It's really, really hard to tell the condition of oil visually nowadays. Without an oil analysis it's hard to tell anything about the condition of oil unless you have a really drastic issue (fuel dilution, metal in filter/pan etc). I'm an apprentice heavy diesel mechanic, we do oil analysis on suspect units and it's surprising how much information you can get from it. The company also runs oil life analysis studies to determine our service intervals, some are 10k miles some are 50k miles depending on the engine and use case
Agreed; a UOA tells the tale that you cannot glean from a visual inspection. I am no stranger to those:

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil filter tip broke off 2021_03_23_09_24_43_2019_Jeep_Rubicon_Google_Sheets_and_5_more_pages_Personal_Microsoft_Edge

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Agreed; a UOA tells the tale that you cannot glean from a visual inspection. I am no stranger to those:

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil filter tip broke off 2021_03_23_09_24_43_2019_Jeep_Rubicon_Google_Sheets_and_5_more_pages_Personal_Microsoft_Edge
You’ve changed your rear differential gear oil 5 times in 26,000 miles? 😲

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You’ve changed your rear differential gear oil 5 times in 26,000 miles? 😲
No; I have performed 6 UOAs (samples) and 3 oil changes in 26,000 miles. Thus:

OC #1 was at 5K vehicle miles
OC #2 was at 20K vehicle miles
OC #3 was at 26K vehicle miles (to pot the sensors)

I like to KNOW what is going on in the axle and am glad that I did change the oil early and continued to sample--these Dana Advantek axles produce a lot of iron, have reduced oil capacity, and run hotter than previous generations.

I will be doing the same when I re-gear soon (@rustyshakelford has been booked) and since I have a decent baseline from the OEM gears I can see if the REM Isotropic finishing actually reduces break-in time and amount of iron produced.

JBrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
Vehicle Showcase
I will be doing the same when I re-gear soon (@rustyshakelford has been booked) and since I have a decent baseline from the OEM gears I can see if the REM Isotropic finishing actually reduces break-in time and amount of iron produced.
Very interested to see what you find. I haven't done any UOAs on any of the fluids in the JL, changed the oil and gear oil at about 2000mi. Oil filter had some casting flash in it but nothing to be concerned about, no visible metal since. When I pulled the plug in the rear axle it was as glittery as my paint. My schedule has been similar but slightly more conservative. Realistically I end up changing it before it's ever "due", because I've submerged the axle, the capacity is so small and I get gear oil cheap enough I just change it if there's any doubt

I haven't changed the fluid in my transfer case or transmission (6 speed) yet. If you have done UOAs on either of those I'd be super interested to see how break in went

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual

that oil looks milky to me plastic has limited time it can sustain heat ad oil so Im wondering too
Sponsored