Sponsored

Oil Filter - Stock vs Oversized (Brands and Part Numbers)

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm coming up on doing my first oil change (others done free at dealer) and was researching oil filter selection. Back when I had an 04 TJ Rubicon, I used an oversized (longer) Mobil 1 or K&N Gold oil filter. I don't remember the filter numbers anymore, but someone had done the research and posted the alternate filters on the Rubicon Owners Forum.

Back then, one of the forum members had conducted an oil filter test and found the Mobil 1 and K&N Gold to be some of the better filters on the market. Coincidentally, their internal construction also looked to be identical, with the only difference being the nut on the base of the K&N Gold filter.

This got me to thinking if there were any oversized filters to use for the 2.0. The reason I like to run a longer filter is for the added oil capacity and extra filtration. I researched Summit Racing and oilfilterdata.com and located the below oil filters which appear to work.

http://oilfilterdata.com/index.php

An older article, but shows and lists the construction of different oil filters:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

The height of the oil filter is about 3.75" which these extended length filters are up to 4.87". To me, the big issue is if there's enough room to use a longer filter without it hanging too low and/or interfering with an engine skid plate. I will not be able to check this for another two weeks as I am out of the country for work. However, it is my intent to try either the Mobil 1-212, or Royal Purple 20-500 when I get home to see if it will work.

NOTE: The below oversize filters all have 22mmX1.5" thread, with filter bypass relief valve, anti-drain back valve, and most have a 17-21 psi burst rating (couldn't find that spec for some). I also did not bother to look up Fram filters.....it's my opinion they are some of the cheaper filters on the market and not worth the few dollars in savings. The K&N data was taken from Summit Racing, while the rest of the filter data is from oilfilterdata.com.

STOCK FILTERS
Brand Model Thread ADBV BPV PSI Dia. in Ht. in Disp. in³​

Royal Purple 10-48 M22x1.5 Yes Yes 3.15 3.62 28.21
Mobil 1 M1-113 M22x1.5 Yes Yes 3.15 3.62 28.21
K&N HP-1017 M22x1.5 Yes Yes 3.00 3.75 Unknown
Purolator L24484 M22x1.5 Yes 12-15 3.15 3.94 30.70​

OVERSIZED FILTERS
Brand Model Thread ADBV BPV PSI Dia. in Ht. in Disp. in³​

Royal Purple 20-500 M22x1.5 Yes Yes 3.15 4.87 37.95
Mobil 1 M1-212 M22x1.5 Yes Yes 3.15 4.87 37.95
K&N HP-2011 M22x1.5 Yes Yes 3.00 4.78 Unknown​

If anyone has run a larger filter (or tried) please let me know if it worked or not. Or if you have found any additional filters which I didn't list.
Sponsored

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
I use to own a 2006 TJ Unlimited. I wish I still had it. :( You could use the old PH8A's filters on the 4.0L I6 if I remember correctly.

Anyway, does the 2.0L I4 engine use a spin on oil filter vs. the drop in cartridge on the V6's? The drop in cartridge only comes in one size,

I use NAPA Gold/ Wix Filters myself.

Stay the hell away from Frams, PLEASE! There're junk! They're generally the cheapest, and easiest to purchase, and you get exactly what you pay for w/them.

Go at least w/the OEM's, but go with NAPA/ Wix, or the other ones you mention, though I don't know anything about the Royal Purple brand. I think I've read that they're manufactured by Purolator.

As for using oversized oil filters, make sure that they not only fit in the location where they're to be mounted on the engine, w/o any interference, but they have the same thread, and have the same pressure relief valve rating. Unless it's specifically noted that an optional oversized filter is available from the oil filter manufacturer, then any issues in regards to any warranty work could be a problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As for using oversized oil filters, make sure that they not only fit in the location where they're to be mounted on the engine, w/o any interference, but they have the same thread, and have the same pressure relief valve rating. Unless it's specifically noted that an optional oversized filter is available from the oil filter manufacturer, then any issues in regards to any warranty work could be a problem.
According to my research, all of the oil filters I listed will fit. I personally went with the Mobil 1 M1-212A filter (1.25" longer than a stock filter). The filter extends to the lower edge of the block/top edge of the oil pan. So there's no loss of clearance. I'm not worried about any interference or risking damage from rocks, tree limbs, etc. My next addition will be an oil pan skid plate and the longer filter doesn't even come close to interfering with a skid plate.

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_5237.jpg

OP
OP
limeade

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, use longer ones on my 4.0 TJ Rubicon, which lead me to look for longer ones for the 2.0 engine.
Sponsored