Sponsored

Oil filter housing stuck

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
It there something that can be added to the caps threads to help it not stick? Like an antisieze for plastic?
If you torque it to spec of 18ft/lbs you wont really have to worry about it getting stuck
Sponsored

Reactions: eck

MikeyK

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Earl
I know not everyone wants to, but this is one reason why I always do my own oil changes. I do make sure of any torque specs as well, but I don’t trust anyone around my engine if I can’t watch them.

I made the mistake of letting a Toyota dealer “fix” an oil leak on my 07 FJ, and that engine is toast. I took a bath on that trade a few years ago.

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

Hello all, tried to change my oil this afternoon and it seems the dealer has over tightened my oil filter cap on the last free jeep wave oil change.

I tried using a 6pt 24mm and a 6pt 15/16 socket, extension with a breaker bar and it won't budge. I don't want to hit it too hard in fear of cracking the plastic assembly.

Any suggestions?

Chris
I had the same issue on our Cherokee. I wound up ordering a new cap and used some BF vice grips to get the old cap off. Much nicer now - and I'm changing oil and filter myself from now on.

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I know not everyone wants to, but this is one reason why I always do my own oil changes. I do make sure of any torque specs as well, but I don’t trust anyone around my engine if I can’t watch them.

I made the mistake of letting a Toyota dealer “fix” an oil leak on my 07 FJ, and that engine is toast. I took a bath on that trade a few years ago.
I'm with you. Never used my free oil changes for the JL or our JT.
Sponsored