Oil filter housing stuck

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Hello all, tried to change my oil this afternoon and it seems the dealer has over tightened my oil filter cap on the last free jeep wave oil change.

I tried using a 6pt 24mm and a 6pt 15/16 socket, extension with a breaker bar and it won't budge. I don't want to hit it too hard in fear of cracking the plastic assembly.

Any suggestions?

Chris
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Mine was really tight as well, and I managed to get it off luckily didnt break. I would honestly take it to another dealer and have them do it, and tell them to please not overtighten it. If they break it, it is on them.

Your other option is to buy a replacement and keep trying, if it breaks, youll have your replacement. It is cheap, like $15 or so. I have one in my garage in case I break mine, Ive heard it can happen easily.

IMG_20200815_133404663.jpg

OP
OP
Sage73

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Ill have to get me one of those, how did you get it off? just socket,extension and breaker bar like im doing?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sage73

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I emailed the dealer today - told him i can't get the cap off, that its so tight it felt like an impact gun tightened it down. He told me to bring to the service dept, so i did. They can't get it off either, he asked me what socket i used, i said a 24mm 6 point and he said that I rounded it off. I told him it wasn't rounded off , it was chewed up slightly from the wrench slipped since it was so tight.

He started getting angry, saying im accessing them of using a impact gun.. and i kind of smirked then he said it wasn't funny.. it sort of got heated for a bit. he told me his tech would never torque it down like that. I forgot to mention in the first email i had a hard time even getting the drain plug off it was so tight too, but i finally got that.

Long story short, they are ordering a whole new housing and i have to bring it back. I guess they will hit it with an impact gun and if it breaks then they will replace the whole assembly.. i asked him if it was warranty work and he was i don't know what im going to do.. I told him im not paying for chit.

I will never ever go back to this dealer for anything.. so frustrated.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I emailed the dealer today - told him i can't get the cap off, that its so tight it felt like an impact gun tightened it down. He told me to bring to the service dept, so i did. They can't get it off either, he asked me what socket i used, i said a 24mm 6 point and he said that I rounded it off. I told him it wasn't rounded off , it was chewed up slightly from the wrench slipped since it was so tight.

He started getting angry, saying im accessing them of using a impact gun.. and i kind of smirked then he said it wasn't funny.. it sort of got heated for a bit. he told me his tech would never torque it down like that. I forgot to mention in the first email i had a hard time even getting the drain plug off it was so tight too, but i finally got that.

Long story short, they are ordering a whole new housing and i have to bring it back. I guess they will hit it with an impact gun and if it breaks then they will replace the whole assembly.. i asked him if it was warranty work and he was i don't know what im going to do.. I told him im not paying for chit.

I will never ever go back to this dealer for anything.. so frustrated.
That sucks. back in the day you would get a message here from JeepCares. But I think they also gave up on dealers at this point. They are a lost cause lol.

Reactions: GtX

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
That sucks. back in the day you would get a message here from JeepCares. But I think they also gave up on dealers at this point. They are a lost cause lol.
Back in the day, (and even today were it me) you would get your ass, physically, over to the dealership and ask to speak with the Service Manager.... you'd also talk to the GM, if that is what it took.

You would explain the issue, person to person,..... (fruck doing it by email.... that is laughable at best) in a polite but very firm manner, and this alone would get the dealership, remedying the issue at hand. For sure they do not want you there, on a rant.

If the dealership, balks (doubtful) you call the Jeep Dedicated hotline, right then and there, and the rep from FCA, right while you are at the dealership, will call the dealership Service Department/ Management and get them onboard with making you whole, lets say..

That then and there, call from Jeep/FCA, 9 times out of 10 will see the dealership, immediately cowing down and addressing the issue.

Even if the Jeep owner is partly at fault for the issue, more often then not Jeep/FCA will offer to split the cost of the repair with the owner.

Anyway, to me it is lets call it, nonsensical, chicken chiitt to be emailing and messaging Jeep Cares, the dealer, etc., for something you should be doing yourself, in person.

OP
OP
Sage73

Sage73

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I did go speak to the service manager after I emailed him. Wasn’t sure the protocol with Covid. Little confused by your post

Sponsored

Richscuba

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
So yesterday I had the same problem. Nothing would work, I tried every tool known to man even put on an ice bag on the housing….the filter cap would not budge. I did not want to crack the cap and was going to visit the dealer to get them to fix it. I realized the socket was slipping against the cheap plastic so I thought to myself, the socket needs something to bite into. I cut a small strip of sandpaper and wrapped it around the top of the cap where the socket fits. It worked perfectly.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
So yesterday I had the same problem. Nothing would work, I tried every tool known to man even put on an ice bag on the housing….the filter cap would not budge. I did not want to crack the cap and was going to visit the dealer to get them to fix it. I realized the socket was slipping against the cheap plastic so I thought to myself, the socket needs something to bite into. I cut a small strip of sandpaper and wrapped it around the top of the cap where the socket fits. It worked perfectly.
@Richscuba

It's a good idea to buy and keep in the garage a spare oil filter housing cap ($15+-)
Mopar Genuine 68191350AA Engine Oil Filter Housing Cap

Also, careful when removing the filter itself from the oil filter housing cap as you can damage the valve that resides in the cap... Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...w-diy-instructions-and-pics.3860/post-1494984

XPLOR3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR WHITE
I had a similar problem with mine from the dealership.
First of all I bought a new cap.
The cap had some tear so I went to try and fit a 23mm and went in without a lot of effort. Pulled out the heat gun and heated close to the bottom while turning the socket wrench.
it did the trick for me, hope it helps.

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
It there something that can be added to the caps threads to help it not stick? Like an antisieze for plastic?

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
I just put oil on the threads, but I only put them on hand tight. I don't think I would want Antiseize in with the oil.
Sponsored