Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Crap, I start getting paranoid when I go over my self imposed oil change interval by a hundred or so miles.
This reminds me, I had a friend, with a Toyota Camry, that had around 250,000 miles on it. I think it was an early 90's model. He never changed the oil, or filter. He just added oil when it burned off. For fun, I took off the filler cap, and looked inside, with a flashlight. It looked like everything was coated with about 1/2 inch of sludge.
The guy worked for Exxon/Mobile, making over 200K a year, but couldnt, and wouldnt spring for an oil change.
200K a year and drives a Camry? Talk about being fun at parties..
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Or the leasee doesnt care since they are not going to keepit , so lowest cost option is to never change the oil, I suppose not even top it off. Then turn in the lease and it is the next guys problem. Kind of like dumping a car with electrical glitches, next guy gets the headache.

We live in a world of irresponsible dumb people.
Wouldn't the dealership want to do a thorough inspection of the vehicle, require maintenance logs, etc? Standard maintenance is always your responsibility in a lease, in my limited experience, and if I were a dealership I'd want to make the Leasee pay as much for their failure to maintain as possible.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
never heard of someone returning a leased vehichle being asked to prove they changed the oil. they will nail you for dings, scratches, worn tires etc but hard to inspect for oil changes. ALthough they do put a special etch on the factory oil filters, my bud works over at local store and they have caught people who ran the engine out of oil at 40K or something like that asking for a new engine, FCA denies because they have proof the oil and filter were never changed because the factory filter is still on the car. The stupidity of people knows no bounds.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
never heard of someone returning a leased vehichle being asked to prove they changed the oil. they will nail you for dings, scratches, worn tires etc but hard to inspect for oil changes. ALthough they do put a special etch on the factory oil filters, my bud works over at local store and they have caught people who ran the engine out of oil at 40K or something like that asking for a new engine, FCA denies because they have proof the oil and filter were never changed because the factory filter is still on the car. The stupidity of people knows no bounds.
Just about every part on the JLs and JTs has a serial number, even the TPMS sensors. I was told that dealerships are supposed to, and get audited on, comparing what part went into a specific Jeep to make sure it wasn't replaced, as the warranty only covers factory installed parts. I wouldn't be surprised if there was etching or a serial number on the filter somewhere. In my case, they wouldn't even look at the sensors (they weren't registereing even after flashing the system) because they came from another Jeep.

Speedracer

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara JL 2.0
Customer states: "Engine making funny sound and oil light is on." :CWL:

Reactions: VNT

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Yes the factory filters on the old shell type have markings on them,, not sure about the catridge ones on the 3.6.

They only check the oil filter in these cases, it proves gross negligence. On the other hand they generally will remove the valve cover to see if the engine in question is sludged up, if not they generally at this store will replace the engine or repair.
It pays to be a good customer, I havent had anyything major fail, did get a new WP and radiator for my wife WK2 under warranty as well as driver seat cover which had wear and they replaced for free, was 700$ for the bottom leather cover.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
3.6L also came in other vehicles, this could easily be a commercial Ram Promaster they serviced where I would be less surprised to see something like this...;)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Just about every part on the JLs and JTs has a serial number, even the TPMS sensors. I was told that dealerships are supposed to, and get audited on, comparing what part went into a specific Jeep to make sure it wasn't replaced, as the warranty only covers factory installed parts. I wouldn't be surprised if there was etching or a serial number on the filter somewhere. In my case, they wouldn't even look at the sensors (they weren't registereing even after flashing the system) because they came from another Jeep.
This is not real.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This is laughable at best..... You're kidding right.... You don't believe crapola like this, I hope..

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This is laughable at best..... You're kidding right.... you don't believe this crapola I hope..
Not only does the whole “warranty only covers factory parts” thing mislead on how replacement parts are warrantied, the rest is a wives tale.

Boogey

First Name
Rami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S 2021
We changed the oil in a Jeep (Grand Cherokee) that had gone to 60k without an oil change. We did 500 mile OCI’s for a few months on it and the engine is going strong to this day.

The husband and wife both claimed the other had been getting the vehicle serviced regularly.

The oil filter in it looked worse than this one shown here, the pleats were no longer visible. It was like clay on the paper. The oil that drained out (miraculously there was still about a quart of liquid in it) looked like and had the consistency of melted chocolate.
60K no oil change? that is insane.Did nothing pop up in the dash to notify you of a needed service/change etc?
Sponsored