Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What does “won’t take oil anymore” mean?
Is the giant 2” oil fill hole in the center of the engine compartment completely clogged or something? This confuses me.

Edit: it’s amazing the jeep even functioned all the way to 91k with the same old oil without exploding haha

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
So who's Jeep and details about the picture? I assume the engine was toast.

Only lazy stupid people do something like that.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
We changed the oil in a Jeep (Grand Cherokee) that had gone to 60k without an oil change. We did 500 mile OCI’s for a few months on it and the engine is going strong to this day.

The husband and wife both claimed the other had been getting the vehicle serviced regularly.

The oil filter in it looked worse than this one shown here, the pleats were no longer visible. It was like clay on the paper. The oil that drained out (miraculously there was still about a quart of liquid in it) looked like and had the consistency of melted chocolate.
Maybe it wasn't the Jeep that was getting " Serviced regularly "

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What does “won’t take oil anymore” mean?
Is the giant 2” oil fill hole in the center of the engine compartment completely clogged or something? This confuses me.

Edit: it’s amazing the jeep even functioned all the way to 91k with the same old oil without exploding haha
yup

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
After watching that Dawn commercial, I think they can just use some soapy water and all the sludge will just come off. Should be good as new after about 10 minutes of washing.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Not a rental, those companies maintain their vehicles well. A lease would be my guess, but not with those kind of miles in such a short period of time. This is the reason I rarely buy used vehicles. Especially now with so many leases. 3 years at 15k miles per year. Easy to get away with.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Crap, I start getting paranoid when I go over my self imposed oil change interval by a hundred or so miles.
This reminds me, I had a friend, with a Toyota Camry, that had around 250,000 miles on it. I think it was an early 90's model. He never changed the oil, or filter. He just added oil when it burned off. For fun, I took off the filler cap, and looked inside, with a flashlight. It looked like everything was coated with about 1/2 inch of sludge.
The guy worked for Exxon/Mobile, making over 200K a year, but couldnt, and wouldnt spring for an oil change.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Good point, if you only ever use the battery, do you just change oil once a year? I know there is a monitoring system in place, so maybe go by that and 1y at the latest. will ask in the 4xe forum
I dont think anyone actually knows how "active" the hybrid interface on the 4xe works yet.

For my Honda Accord Hybrid, the car monitors how often the engine engages (presumably), and oil service intervals are still about 10,500 to 11,000 miles. Non Hybrid Accords have a set interval of 10k, so you do get a little more range, but not much.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Not a rental, those companies maintain their vehicles well. A lease would be my guess, but not with those kind of miles in such a short period of time. This is the reason I rarely buy used vehicles. Especially now with so many leases. 3 years at 15k miles per year. Easy to get away with.
You’d be surprised. Some people just don’t give a shit and will drive their lease way way WAY over the mileage limit. Uber vehicle etc. and then roll that negative equity into the next one.

Reactions: VNT

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Or the leasee doesnt care since they are not going to keepit , so lowest cost option is to never change the oil, I suppose not even top it off. Then turn in the lease and it is the next guys problem. Kind of like dumping a car with electrical glitches, next guy gets the headache.

We live in a world of irresponsible dumb people.
Sponsored