Oil drain plug torque on 2.0

Paulo

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2.0 Turbo Sport S
Does anyone know the torque for the oil drain plug on 2.0 engine? I have found that value for the 3.6 being 20 ft lbs but nothing for the 2.0
Sponsored

SteveT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2d
This may seem like a dumb question but hear me out..... doing MY first oil change on the JL. Had dealer do the first couple that were free. Now I gotta pay so I wanna do it myself. Got everything I needed and first thing, I can’t get the damn drain plug out. I think someone may have over torqued it, then again under the Jeep there’s not a crap ton of room. Any suggestions? I do not possess any air tools so that’s out.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Every new car I've had the initial tightening seemed high but after that never had any issue. It should not require you to resort to air tools to remove a drain plug. I haven't done mine yet but did crawl under there to see where it was. On my 2.0 the oil filter seemed to hang right next to where the drain plug is. Hopefully mine won't give me issues as I always do my own oil changes.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
This may seem like a dumb question but hear me out..... doing MY first oil change on the JL. Had dealer do the first couple that were free. Now I gotta pay so I wanna do it myself. Got everything I needed and first thing, I can’t get the damn drain plug out. I think someone may have over torqued it, then again under the Jeep there’s not a crap ton of room. Any suggestions? I do not possess any air tools so that’s out.
Should not need air tools - would not resort to that - take it to dealership if that's the case.

But first --

1) Do you have a good wrench or socket the right size and not trying to use a crescent wrench or other adjustable?

2) Do you have a long enough ratchet to get some torque on it?

3) Are you turning it in the right direction to remove it?

SteveT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2d
Should not need air tools - would not resort to that - take it to dealership if that's the case.

But first --

1) Do you have a good wrench or socket the right size and not trying to use a crescent wrench or other adjustable?

2) Do you have a long enough ratchet to get some torque on it?

3) Are you turning it in the right direction to remove it?
yes I have the right socket. I just realized I posted this in the 2.0 engine thread. Mines a 3.6 but same idea. 13mm socket, not a crescent wrench.

I believe my problem may be in the length of the ratchet. It’s not long. I was looking for a pipe or something metal to use as a sleeve to give it some leverage but nothing around the house fits what I need. I was gonna go to the hardware store and pick a new one up.

lastly yes I am turning it in the right direction. I know why you asked that and I’m not offended haha

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Does anyone know the torque for the oil drain plug on 2.0 engine?
20 ft lbs.

Absent having a 3/8" drive torque wrench, choke up on the ratchet and use your calibrated torque wrist.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil drain plug torque on 2.0 Torque wrist

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
snug tight the drain plug with your hand. then 3/4 turn with the rachet. you do not want to over tighten the plug due to stripping the treads. dealership and quick lube places tends to over tighten and cross treads the bolts.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
yes I have the right socket. I just realized I posted this in the 2.0 engine thread. Mines a 3.6 but same idea. 13mm socket, not a crescent wrench.

I believe my problem may be in the length of the ratchet. It’s not long. I was looking for a pipe or something metal to use as a sleeve to give it some leverage but nothing around the house fits what I need. I was gonna go to the hardware store and pick a new one up.

lastly yes I am turning it in the right direction. I know why you asked that and I’m not offended haha
Definitely get a 3/8" breaker bar or some other device for leverage; I use an old piece of fence post, but you can use black gas pipe or something else that slides over the end of your ratchet.

FWIW, the dealership overtightened mine as well; I had to use a breaker bar to get it free.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Sponsored

SteveT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2d
Definitely get a 3/8" breaker bar or some other device for leverage; I use an old piece of fence post, but you can use black gas pipe or something else that slides over the end of your ratchet.

FWIW, the dealership overtightened mine as well; I had to use a breaker bar to get it free.
I went to Home Depot today and picked up an extension and a bigger ratchet. Worked like a charm. Oil change done.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
If you can’t budge it with reasonable pressure I’d take it back to the dealer and let them do it again. Back in 06 I bought a Liberty diesel. Was always back to same dealership for courtesy oil changes. On the 4th one they fooled around for almost two hours (despite telling me when I asked at 45 minutes that “it’ll just be a few more minutes”. Seems the local service clown had tightened the plug the prior change without using a required crush washer. To make it stop leaking he “snugged it down”. When he went to remove it the next time it stripped the threads on the aluminum oil pan! They would up keeping my Jeep for two weeks and having to pull the engine to replace the pan! Had I done it myself I’d have been left holding the bag-as it was they couldn’t deny it since they were the ONLY people under the Jeep. I it won’t come out with normal pressure make them do it (and watch the clowns). YMMV. Good luck!

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you can’t budge it with reasonable pressure I’d take it back to the dealer and let them do it again. Back in 06 I bought a Liberty diesel. Was always back to same dealership for courtesy oil changes. On the 4th one they fooled around for almost two hours (despite telling me when I asked at 45 minutes that “it’ll just be a few more minutes”. Seems the local service clown had tightened the plug the prior change without using a required crush washer. To make it stop leaking he “snugged it down”. When he went to remove it the next time it stripped the threads on the aluminum oil pan! They would up keeping my Jeep for two weeks and having to pull the engine to replace the pan! Had I done it myself I’d have been left holding the bag-as it was they couldn’t deny it since they were the ONLY people under the Jeep. I it won’t come out with normal pressure make them do it (and watch the clowns). YMMV. Good luck!
This. Why? Because it is THEIR dime if they mess up the thread. There are some serious A$$hats doing oil changes at dealers.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
This. Why? Because it is THEIR dime if they mess up the thread. There are some serious A$$hats doing oil changes at dealers.
This is why I like how easy it is to change the oil (myself) on Wranglers. Especially lifted ones.

SteveT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2d
Wow that’s intense. I did get it off today. I bought a new ratchet. Turns out the auto zone quality one I was using just wasn’t up for the task. Got a longer one with an extension bar and it took very little effort compared to yesterday to get it off.
That’s crazy tho with your Jeep. Aside from making a slight mess on the concrete under the Jeep it went well. Now I’m just gonna have nightmares I didn’t tighten it enough and all my oil is gonna leak out. (It won’t I did torque it enough. But you know first timers and all. ) thanks for the reply. Always appreciate advice from people who’ve done these things before.
Sponsored