Oil Change & Tire Rotation DIY

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I have a 2019 Wrangler JL MOAB. Based on all the terrible experiences people have had with their Dealership oil changes, I’ve decided to just do it myself..

My questions:

1) what are Step-by-steps for the oil change?

2) how often should I do tire rotation? And should I include the spare with the rotations?

3) lastly, is there anything else I should do at this 8,000 mileage mark?

I’ve heard many different things. Your feedbacks are appreciated. thanks!!
Sponsored

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Hi all,

I have a 2019 Wrangler JL MOAB. Based on all the terrible experiences people have had with their Dealership oil changes, I’ve decided to just do it myself..

My questions:

2) how often should I do tire rotation? And should I include the spare with the rotations?

This your first tire rotation and oil change?!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Search is your friend. This has been covered to exhaustion in many threads.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I always do oil (mobil 1 full synthetic 5/30), filter (OEM Mopar), and tires (all 5) together and at 5000 mile intervals.

Always drop the oil and filter after a short drive to get up to running temperature. Warm oil drains quicker and if any contaminants are present they would be suspended in the oil, not settled somewhere. Just beware of hot engine components while crawling around under there, and the same caution while handling the old filter and oil.

Its best to include the spare tire in the regular rotation. Having the fifth tire in the mix will help extend the the overall lifespan of that set, while also maintaining a similarly worn tire tread in the event that the spare is needed. 4x4 and awd systems are happiest when all tires running are at the same circumference. An added plus with a 5 tire rotation, is that it makes it impossible to neglect the spares overall readiness. And another plus, if you start the rotation with taking the spare off, you only have to jack up one corner at a time because you already have one ready to go on. A 4 tire rotation would require jacking up two corners at a time.

Finally, it would be a great habit to form to simply look around for anything out of place while your under the jeep. Look for any signs of something starting to leak or for nuts and bolts loosening. Same with removing each wheel, stop for a minute to verify that everything looks in order and no signs of leaking around the brake lines and bottom of the calipers.

Preventative maintenance is a great way to help make you more familiar with your ride and could help spot something before it leaves you stranded. As far as engine/tranny/axles, a visual check for no signs of leakage is all you can do. For steering and suspension, grab each linkage and give a good up/down and left/right shake to verify all is tight. While the jeep is fresh and new you can establish your own baseline for how everything should feel and look, which will help you spot early signs of wear further down the line.

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

My questions:

> With the oil change, but opinions will vary.
> Yes

> Make it safely to 8,001.

One of many threads... and yes, included the spare in the rotation.

Since this seems to be your first, please search & read on.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-w-diy-instructions-and-pics.3860/#post-73186

OP
OP

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for everyone’s feedback. Much appreciated.

I understand 8,000 is on the higher end. But my oil meter is showing it’s just reached the 10% oil mark. I was following that..should I not use that as an indicator for an oil change?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you've never done an oil change or rotated tires before on any vehicle, I suggest doing some minor research on youtube. Watch a few videos to get up to speed. Read your owners manual. There isn't anything magical or different about a JL: It's a tire rotation and oil change just like 99% of other vehicles.

¤|||||||¤

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Thanks for everyone’s feedback. Much appreciated.

I understand 8,000 is on the higher end. But my oil meter is showing it’s just reached the 10% oil mark. I was following that..should I not use that as an indicator for an oil change?
Noooo dont use that...that's mainly for the oil filter life.

You need new fresh oil more than you need a new filter(although the filter is still very important).

Not really sure why Jeep put that filter life remaining thing in there....it to me is completely useless
Sponsored