Sponsored

Oil Change on first 1000 miles

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
45 minutes to my dealer, 45 minute wait at least, 45 minutes back home +10 bucks of gas going there and coming back. That makes my oil change cost around $22 bucks. I did mine myself at six months and 2500 miles And it took me about half an hour If that!
Oil changes on a 3.6 JL is ridiculously easy. Of all the vehicles I have owned and maintained, I think my JL is the only one where I could do an oil change and once finished go inside and eat a sandwich for lunch and not worry about washing my hands first.
Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
This will be my 4th time owning the Pentastar 3.6. My first one is on 120K miles now. It doesn't burn oil, gas mileage and power hasn't changed, and it sounds like it did new. I just change it when the light tells me and follow the manual. Everything else is just pure conjecture but I do know that following the manual and the oil change system's recommendation works.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
And don't get me started on the first 60 miles below 50 to 55 mph recommendation. So 1st gear high revs 45 mph on the first 1/2 mile is better than lower revs at 60 in 6th or 8th gear miles 10-50 ? Really? Screwiest break in recs I have seen.
I wanna know that if you buy a Wrangler off the lot, one that's been test driven by everybody who's walked in the door with absolutely no regard to this break in requirement, does the dealer owe you a longer warranty to make up for the lack of proper break in?

KarlG

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 AEV 350 JK Rubicon 2019 JLUR
I wanna know that if you buy a Wrangler off the lot, one that's been test driven by everybody who's walked in the door with absolutely no regard to this break in requirement, does the dealer owe you a longer warranty to make up for the lack of proper break in?
I would suppose it works like other demos I've seen like bikes and vehicles driven by the managers. They are sold with a few hundred miles on them at a mild discount and the customer warranty doesn't actually start until the sell date.

I've had a friend pick up a demo Beemer bike like that and he didn't have any problems and the three year warranty started when he bought it.

MidMo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ / 2001 WJ / 2017 Ram 3500HD / 2019 JLU Moab
If you are thinking about changing your oil and filter at 1000 miles...do it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that! You will most likely drain usable oil and toss a functional filter but it will remove any question on whether you should or shouldn't, it absolutely will not hurt your engine. Do you change the filter only to remove any potential casting shavings/restrictions caught over the first 1,000 or so miles? If that is what you chose to do to feel like you are protecting your Jeep...that's a good choice also! Will it be alright to leave the oil and filter in until the computer says change it? Probably...and there's nothing wrong with anyone for thinking that. It's your Jeep, protect it how you see fit.:like:

Like others have said, you will get many opinions but the only one that matters is yours. As long as the oil/filter gets changed within or at the maximum change interval for your driving condition you will meet the minimum manufacturer recommendations.

Sponsored

mjd3d9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
I was going to inquire about free oil changes. I recieved 4 free oil changes when I bought my 392 Challenger back in 2016.

There was no mention of free oil changes when I purchased my JLUR last month but after registering my xm radio thru mopar.com, it's showing 4 free oil changes and 4 tire rotations.

So, that's legit, correct?

Screenshot_20190201-123752.png
Is this an app? I am on the mopar website logged in and I dont see this page. Where do I find it? Thanks

Kbinspections

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Vehicle Showcase
It is my understanding that while the engine is being manufactured, special additives and moly pastes are added. These are supposed to stay in the engine until a specific time to fully coat all surfaces.

Changing the oil too early will flush these out and you might be doing more harm than good by an early oil change.

I have decided that there is just too much contradiction when it comes to car maintenance so I just follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.

Yammyhaha

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito MOAB/Audi A6/BMW Z3/Saab 9-5/Saab 9-3 Conv
Changing my MOAB's oil this weekend. Should have about 1400 miles on it by then. Have done all of my vehicles at just over 1000 miles and not one of them has ever used any oil or given me any problems. I run them at least until 200,000 before I replace them. My latest is a 2007 Saab 9-5 turbo with just over 200,000 which my youngest son is driving. Runs like a top. I have the oil changed with Mobil 1 every 5 or 6 thousand and have since the first change at just over 1000. Before that a 2001 SAAB and before that a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville SSE plus a chevy pickup. None of them used oil or gave me an engine problem. At present my 2016 Audi a6 3.0 is changed every 10,000 miles and the first change was done by myself at 1000 miles. Had to syphon the oil out of that. It only has 50,000 on it and the oil level stays full. Hopefully it will stay that way. I know that the first change has certainly not hurt anything on any of my past vehicles so I will keep doing it.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
When it comes to any concerns about break-in materials, all you need to change is simply the oil filter.

The oil is still perfectly good, plus it's cheaper and easier to do.

I changed my oil filter at around 2100 miles, and then just recently did a full oil/filer change at 5000.

Matic

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon. 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD, DC, Pretunner
Is this an app? I am on the mopar website logged in and I dont see this page. Where do I find it? Thanks
Not sure how I initiated it.
It was when I registered my uconnect for extra features. Then later that day I recieved an email from dodge to finish registering on that webpage.

I think it must be the uconnect app, because it's also showing my Challenger so I must have registered it 3 yrs ago when I bought it.

Sponsored

Matic

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon. 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD, DC, Pretunner
There is a uconnect app in the pay store.
Or actually, there are several.
I use the "Mopar" app. Scroll right and it shows "jeep wave" icon. It will take you to the jeep wave program and show your status.

Screenshot_20190204-151132.png

Screenshot_20190204-151114.png

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
There are consequences to changing the oil type from the one recommended.
It takes longer to bring the combustion chamber to operating temp and it alters how the variable valve timing works. Could mess up the CATS too.
I doubt its harmful if the cold temp flow number is still close.

Last edited:

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
This will be my 4th time owning the Pentastar 3.6. My first one is on 120K miles now. It doesn't burn oil, gas mileage and power hasn't changed, and it sounds like it did new. I just change it when the light tells me and follow the manual. Everything else is just pure conjecture but I do know that following the manual and the oil change system's recommendation works.
Oh yeah???? At 122,346 miles your engine will go BOOM!

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
Oil changes on a 3.6 JL is ridiculously easy. Of all the vehicles I have owned and maintained, I think my JL is the only one where I could do an oil change and once finished go inside and eat a sandwich for lunch and not worry about washing my hands first.
No doubt pretty easy. Takes just as long to get the tools and catch pan out as it does to change it. My Tacoma is pretty much exactly the same except it’s not Cartridge type filter.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
waste of a free oil change save then i plan on doing my every 5.000 or 6 moths because Jeep wave gives you 4 free ones for 2 yrs. so why not do it every 6 months or unless you put 5.000 before that.I know they dont say change it at 1.000 miles. that was along tome ago you would take out the break n oil. man thats so old school. These oils they put in the jeeps and all new vehicles is high tech and last a longer these days
Sponsored