Oil Change on first 1000 miles

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I just did mine at 3k. Oil looked pretty dirty so I was glad I did it. Interesting info on the 0-20w being more EPA than anything else. Same guys who came up with ESS? lol

Question though...why would anyone take their rig in a dealership for just an oil change? Even free bringing it in just for that would be a PITA, at least for me. Changing oil has always been pretty easy, a little messy but easy. But the JL is probably the easiest vehicle I have ever experience and much more pleasurable then the driving there, and everything else that goes with it.. Not to mention there are no beers involved. ;)
Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I just did mine at 3k. Oil looked pretty dirty so I was glad I did it. Interesting info on the 0-20w being more EPA than anything else. Same guys who came up with ESS? lol

Question though...why would anyone take their rig in a dealership for just an oil change? Even free bringing it in just for that would be a PITA, at least for me. Changing oil has always been pretty easy, a little messy but easy. But the JL is probably the easiest vehicle I have ever experience and much more pleasurable then the driving there, and everything else that goes with it.. Not to mention there are no beers involved. ;)
I guess some just prefer someone else to do the work. For me personally, I don't want anyone else touching my Jeep unless it's absolutely necessary (warranty issue) or a complicated mod. Besides, I'm picky about the oil and filter I use. ;)

And yes, I agree...easiest vehicle I have ever had for changing oil.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I had my first oil change at 4,4xx miles. The next one will be at 10,000 miles and every 5,000 miles after that.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Everyone has an opinion like others have said.. if I'm going to add any value other than what has already been stated, I would say if you do it and when you decide to, do it yourself. That is more peace of mind than the 1st mileage debate. That way you know 100% what went into it oil wise as well as how much and no overtightened stripped threads or plugs.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I just call the dealer and schedule my oil change at 20% filter life usually.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I changed mine at around 150 miles, and I'll do it again at 1,000

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
twisty said:
Interesting info on the 0-20w being more EPA than anything else. Same guys who came up with ESS? lol
;)
The big change was 15 years ago with the switch to 5w20 from 5w30. Now they are squeezing every last .0001 mpg out of it as evidenced by Toyota's 0w16

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
snip:
I personally will change out the filter and Dino oil after @ 1000 miles and check the magnet in the oil drain plug. I'll put Syn in then.
@KarlG

What vehicle are you finding the "Dino oil" in and the "magnet in the oil drain plug"? Not in your JL...

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe

Not going down the rabbit hole too far as BITOG is the place to be if you want to talk oil, but one important detail warrants highlighting: you cannot tell oil state from how dirty it looks. Too many people fall into that trap. Used oil analysis is the only way to tell how your oil is holding up.

Sponsored

KarlG

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 AEV 350 JK Rubicon 2019 JLUR
snip:

@KarlG

What vehicle are you finding the "Dino oil" in and the "magnet in the oil drain plug"? Not in your JL...
I just found out my JLUR is KZS today so do not have it. Waiting impatiently. Many vehicles have a small magnet on the drain plug. If the JL, doesn't have one, it is easy to add. My JK has an added one and they are easy to make.

As I stated, I don't know what oil comes from the factory. Some Mopar oil is Pennzoil Gold (synthetic/Dino) blend, some Magneti Marelli (?) some Shell. If someone knows for sure what a 3.6 comes filled with, I'd love to know.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/odd-new-mopar-motor-oil-2113049.html

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Your four free oil changes must be done within two years of delivery. If you drive a lot this is not an issue but based on my expected mileage I did my my first oil change at 2K so I can take advantage of all of them.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I am "old school" and yes an oil change at 1000 miles is a cheap way to have peace of mind knowing that new engine machining gets fresh oil during break in.
The "New School" of thought is that; modern machining techniques are so good (and they are that good) that the 1000 mile break in oil change is no longer necessary.
Its not a waste of oil either....it will be recycled.
Cheap piece of mind...cheap insurance that your new motor is getting the protection it should have. Go cheap when your eating fast food...it will only be on your tongue for a few minutes. Don't go cheap when it comes to protecting your engine. You will be staying with this motor for many years to come.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
45 minutes to my dealer, 45 minute wait at least, 45 minutes back home +10 bucks of gas going there and coming back. That makes my oil change cost around $22 bucks. I did mine myself at six months and 2500 miles And it took me about half an hour If that!
Sponsored