OIL change on 2021 Jeep Wrangler after 5,400 mile trip

grandpaq

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP Sahara Unlimited
Conflicting information. My new Jeep just returned from a long trip through high country. I am back in Miami.

My oil indicator says 21% oil life - with my slim to none driving these days, when would you change your oil and oil filter. Any recommendations for brand of oil type or oil filter type?

Thanks, all. Getting great info from the gallery!!
Sponsored

Steven Yates

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep rubicon
You are about to open Pandora’s box but as far as my 2020 rubicon I changed the oil and filter at 1,000 miles with amsoil oil and filter and plan on using the oil life meter for future oil changes but as long as you use a good quality oil and filter and don’t go over 10,000 miles you will be ok but everyone has their own opinion

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
You could change the oil now. I do not know what engine you have, so just go by the manual and use a major brand synthetic oil of the correct specification.

Last edited:

Deleted member 53226

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I would also like to know which brand of oil is the best. I searched but didn't see that anyone asked that question before. If anyone out there has tried Amsoil, I would be interested in hearing your opinion on whether that is the best oil. Haven't seen many people post about the Amsoil stuff on the web.

Also, if you folks could let me know whether synthetic or regular oil is best, and whether 0W-20 or 5W-30 is better for the JL, that info would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Deleted member 59098

Sorry to hijack the thread, but just wanted to ask which brand of oil is the best. I searched but didn't see that anyone asked that question before.

Also, if you folks could let me know whether synthetic or regular oil is best, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!
I use the Penzoil Synthetic 0w20. 5,000 miles for the first change. Did the differentials then too. I’ve always changed synthetic at 5k, all my vehicles have reached high mileage with no problems. If you want to save money Costco has Kirkland synthetic 0w20 for pretty cheap. It’s probably same as Mobil 1 or something. I had a 3.6 WK2 for 80K before, so not really a newbie to this motor.

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I idle a bit, so I seem to need a change around 4500-5k.

DIY it's simple.

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
Buy whatever grade oil the manual says. I am almost 68 years old and can't tell you the last time where I read that someone posted they burned up a motor due to low quality oil.
Hell, my dad NEVER changed oil and I remember some of his cars going over 100,000 miles in the 1960's. When it was low he would add a quart of the cheapest oil he could buy.
Me? I use whatever spec the manual calls for.

Deleted member 53226

I use the Penzoil Synthetic 0w20. 5,000 miles for the first change. Did the differentials then too. I’ve always changed synthetic at 5k, all my vehicles have reached high mileage with no problems. If you want to save money Costco has Kirkland synthetic 0w20 for pretty cheap. It’s probably same as Mobil 1 or something. I had a 3.6 WK2 for 80K before, so not really a newbie to this motor.
Thank you Sir for the info!

I see you have the 3.6. Do you think the 3.6 or the 2.0 is the better jeep engine?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Jeep Wrangler JL OIL change on 2021 Jeep Wrangler after 5,400 mile trip 1611863346025

Deleted member 59098

Thank you Sir for the info!

I see you have the 3.6. Do you think the 3.6 or the 2.0 is the better jeep engine?
I don’t know much about the 2.0. The 3.6 on my WK2 never had an issue and it has a good reputation over the years in a bunch of different platforms. For Jeeps, I’m more interested in durability than gas mileage, torque or HP.
Sponsored