oil change frequency

jwhirl

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Ive been procrastinating my oil change and the oil gauge is at 2%. i have an appointment for next tuesday and was curious if i should stop driving until tuesday or if its OK to drive once it hits 0
Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Depends on your criteria. How many miles since the last change? And what's the total mileage?

I'm about 7,200 miles after my last change; 2,200 miles over when I 'should' change the oil and filter, but the 'gauge' still reads 48% or thereabouts. But it's been grossly hot and humid, so Ive put it off a bit. Same with tire rotation.

A few percent ±- isn't going to kill your jeep.

OP
OP

jwhirl

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Depends on your criteria. How many miles since the last change? And what's the total mileage?

I'm about 7,200 miles after my last change; 2,200 miles over when I 'should' change the oil and filter, but the 'gauge' still reads 48% or thereabouts. But it's been grossly hot and humid, so Ive put it off a bit. Same with tire rotation.

A few percent ±- isn't going to kill your jeep.
probably close to 8,000 miles i guess my question is if the oil gauge hits 0% on thursday is my jeep going to get f***** by tuesday

Odierub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Brings up a question. Jeep newbie here. Do you do a five or four tire rotation on your Jeeps?

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Change your oil and rotate your tires every 5,000 miles. Keeps it simple and easy to remember each time.
I agree, this is the easiest and the best. But there's plenty of leeway with synthetic oil. 5,000 a very conservative number. (That I try to stick to)

I'm at ~22,000 miles right now, so I know that I've been lazy for the past 2,000 miles. (It's been hot out! [and humid!]) But if you aren't rock crawling/city driving the whole time, I think you have some slack.

@jwhirl Pretty sure the 0% oil life only means that your dealership/Stellantis have been expecting you to come in to bow down to them, and are currently disappointed in your priorities.

Drive it 1, 10, 100, 1,000 miles past the suggested interval, you have your own life to live, schedule around yourself. Maybe not 10,000 miles though. Definitely not 100,000.

Disclaimer: New autos claim to provide 'oil life' percentages based on actual usage, maybe sensors, not pure mileage. How many miles since last change, OP?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

probably close to 8,000 miles i guess my question is if the oil gauge hits 0% on thursday is my jeep going to get f***** by tuesday
Nothing will happen to your vehicle if the gauge reads 0%.

The JL Wrangler is filled with synthetic oil. The max duration between oil changes is 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

That being said, most recommend changing oil and rotating tires every 5,000 miles.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
No, it'll be fine. Not like the oil is going to go from serviceable to water in a few days :).

I do about 8,000 miles a year, so I just change mine every six months and rotate the tires. Easy to remember and that's about 4,000-4,500 miles between changes given normal driving.

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
My manual says "under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), 12 months...." etc.
The oil 'life' gauge on my dash reads 52% left (how the F#@# it can know this except for mileage, # of hours , or date since last reset or some combination of that I guess).
So I take the vehicle in for an oil change (still under warranty, and I just don't have time) at the dealer.
The lil sticker on my windshield after the oil change says to bring it back in 6000km. This makes no sense to me for a non-turbo engine running synthetic (and no severe duty).
Third oil change btw. 10,000 km intervals. Why is the oil life gauge even there if it is so far off both the manual and the dealership's version of how often I should give them my credit card?

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
My manual says "under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), 12 months...." etc.
The oil 'life' gauge on my dash reads 52% left (how the F#@# it can know this except for mileage, # of hours , or date since last reset or some combination of that I guess).
That's exactly how it works, it uses mileage, temperature, speeds, etc to determine the "wear" on the oil.

So I take the vehicle in for an oil change (still under warranty, and I just don't have time) at the dealer.
The lil sticker on my windshield after the oil change says to bring it back in 6000km. This makes no sense to me for a non-turbo engine running synthetic (and no severe duty).
Third oil change btw. 10,000 km intervals. Why is the oil life gauge even there if it is so far off both the manual and the dealership's version of how often I should give them my credit card?
Because the dealer wants you to come back earlier for another oil change to make more $$$ that's why.

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMC GREMLIN, GMC SIERRA, 21 WILLYS
Brings up a question. Jeep newbie here. Do you do a five or four tire rotation on your Jeeps?
I am a 5 tire rotation guy. My old Rubicon Goodyear mtrs lasted me over 40,000 miles. Okay I know I was a mall crawler. I've seen many other ones where the tires were gone at 25,000. But they had a beautiful spare on the back

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I’m at 48,500 miles and I’ve had my oil changed every 5,000 miles on the nose.

I also have them do a 5 tire rotation at the same time. In the beginning I would alternate 5 tire rotation and 4 tire rotation every other oil change but I found that it makes no difference really for the longevity of your spare. So I just started doing 5 tire rotation every time somewhere around 20k.

I’ve had my differential fluids changed twice during that time as well. A lot of people don’t think about getting that fluid changed out but if youre off road a lot or tow things it’s a good idea to do.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Highly unlikely. I would not sweat it.
I am a 5 tire rotation guy. My old Rubicon Goodyear mtrs lasted me over 40,000 miles. Okay I know I was a mall crawler. I've seen many other ones where the tires were gone at 25,000. But they had a beautiful spare on the back
A beautiful spare that is aged out and dry rotted. :LOL:

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMC GREMLIN, GMC SIERRA, 21 WILLYS
If you love your Jeep and it's a keeper I would change it every 5000 miles. But if you are leasing or you're just going to get rid of it by a hundred thousand miles then by all means Ten Thousand Mile oil changes
Sponsored