Sponsored

Oil change frequency, dealer told me DO NOT use service required alert?

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
I'm retired,and don't drive that much anymore.My Jeep is always a short trip vehicle.I always change a new engine's oil at the first 1000 miles....and yes ....I found 1 fair sized machining chip in the pleat of the oil filter. In 3000 miles I will change it again.I plan on running 5w30 later as the jeep is garaged in the winter and doesn't get that cold. Old guys tend to be old school...lol.
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
The dealership service department formula is to drain your pockets faster than draining engine oil, want the best running vehicle, never it to the dealer for service.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I have a friend who worked for a Saturn/Saab/Isuzu dealership. The garage would let the mechanics do their own oil changes for free and NOT ONE of them would use the oil from the dealership... I'm not saying that would be the case everywhere, but the dealership insisting on anything for your vehicle is a business decision, not a quality decision.
My 2019 JLU was bought with an extended warranty, which at my dealer, gave me 8 oil changes, 12 with Jeeps free oil changes.(I know nothings free).
I also insisted full synthetic oil for my Jeep, which at the first change(2,000) my dealer said; no it requires semi-synthetic, I told them, NO, it was part of my extended warranty and if not, I don't want the warranty, guess who won?
Full synthetic, 5w-20w changes, at 3-4 thousand mile. The dealer told me that they use Pennzoil, per manufacturer!

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe, 2022 Rubicon 4xe
The dealership service department formula is to drain your pockets faster than draining engine oil, want the best running vehicle, never it to the dealer for service.
Trying to figure this one out.....that sounds more like an opinion than any facts. Every jeep i've owned (6 of them) has always had oil changes done at the dealership, no hassle no BS later on should there be engine issues.

Not sure how they drain your pocket when technically you only need to change the oil once per year or no more than 10000 miles between oil changes not sure how that is the dealership draining your pockets......

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Trying to figure this one out.....that sounds more like an opinion than any facts. Every jeep i've owned (6 of them) has always had oil changes done at the dealership, no hassle no BS later on should there be engine issues.

Not sure how they drain your pocket when technically you only need to change the oil once per year or no more than 10000 miles between oil changes not sure how that is the dealership draining your pockets......
Once I took my 2007 JK in for a simple oil change, the only reason I went to the dealer was because my mechanic did not have time to do it, and I was going on a mid west trip the next morning.

10 minutes in the waiting room and my name is called over the PA system, go to the service manager, who proceeded to ask why my last oil change was done 20,000km ago(think he said 20,000, might be more, that was the last time I went there for a recall, and I asked them to change the oil), I ignored him, my mechanic change it every 3,000.

He went on to say that the nut on the oil pan was damaged, and they cannot remove it, he said they have to replace the oil pan, he did an invoice for close to $2,000, labour and parts.

Told him to take the Wrangler down from the hoist and give it back to to me. He then started up with more nonsense, it would cost more if I came back later etc.

I delayed my mid west trip by a day, took the Wrangler to my mechanic the next day, sure enough there was damage to the nut, I am pretty sure the dealer damaged it, not exactly sure how that nut would get damaged on a mall crawler, and I am the only person that drives it. Again this oil is changed every 3,000km.

My mechanic simply used a vice grip plier to remove the nut. I still have that nut and the quote somewhere. I called up Chrysler and asked them why is a 5 Star dealer pulling this stuff, they said they cannot do anything, find a new dealer. This was the most blatant con job I ever came across from a dealer.

Different dealer: Once I took my 1999 TJ for emissions testing it, service advisor told me it had nails in 2 tires, this Wrangler was parked in an underground garage, and not driven for 4 weeks, drove it on clean and smooth Toronto roads for 2 km, I guess it picked up nails somewhere during those 2 kilometers.

2021 - 2018 JL went for an oil change we need to rotate your wheels, we strongly recommend it, it's a safety issue.

I only go to them when I have to, and they are always pulling some money grabbing stunt..

They are always "over diagnosing" and fixing, and end up breaking stuff in the process, that you are on the hook for.

People that don't know, will shell out the money and pay them, especially when they talk about "safety", show up with child seats, and they will hose you.

Sponsored

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
I took my wife's Mercedes E350 in for service at the Mercedes Dealer where she bought it. The service advisor explained to me that it needed the tires rotated and balanced and it would be over $200. I think I remember $262. I told him that he couldn't rotate that tires because they are staggered. He then told me that they were not staggered and that the E350 does not offer staggered tires. We went back and forth a couple of times and I told him to go look. He did and came back, told me I was right but they could still rotate side to side for the same price. I told him no, if I decide I want them rotated I'll go to Discount Tire where they do it for free. I wonder how many people they convince to pay $262 for a job that if it wasn't free would still be well less than $100?

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe, 2022 Rubicon 4xe
Sounds like you need to find a new dealer..........i've never had a single issue at the 3 dealers i've used. My current dealer is also extremely modification friendly as well which makes it very nice.
Just because a dealer wants to charge you money to fi something doesn't mean you have to believe them or let them fix it

BlueMoose

First Name
Blue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2023
Occupation
Moose
Once I took my 2007 JK in for a simple oil change, the only reason I went to the dealer was because my mechanic did not have time to do it, and I was going on a mid west trip the next morning.

10 minutes in the waiting room and my name is called over the PA system, go to the service manager, who proceeded to ask why my last oil change was done 20,000km ago(think he said 20,000, might be more, that was the last time I went there for a recall, and I asked them to change the oil), I ignored him, my mechanic change it every 3,000.

He went on to say that the nut on the oil pan was damaged, and they cannot remove it, he said they have to replace the oil pan, he did an invoice for close to $2,000, labour and parts.

Told him to take the Wrangler down from the hoist and give it back to to me. He then started up with more nonsense, it would cost more if I came back later etc.

I delayed my mid west trip by a day, took the Wrangler to my mechanic the next day, sure enough there was damage to the nut, I am pretty sure the dealer damaged it, not exactly sure how that nut would get damaged on a mall crawler, and I am the only person that drives it. Again this oil is changed every 3,000km.

My mechanic simply used a vice grip plier to remove the nut. I still have that nut and the quote somewhere. I called up Chrysler and asked them why is a 5 Star dealer pulling this stuff, they said they cannot do anything, find a new dealer. This was the most blatant con job I ever came across from a dealer.

Different dealer: Once I took my 1999 TJ for emissions testing it, service advisor told me it had nails in 2 tires, this Wrangler was parked in an underground garage, and not driven for 4 weeks, drove it on clean and smooth Toronto roads for 2 km, I guess it picked up nails somewhere during those 2 kilometers.

2021 - 2018 JL went for an oil change we need to rotate your wheels, we strongly recommend it, it's a safety issue.

I only go to them when I have to, and they are always pulling some money grabbing stunt..

They are always "over diagnosing" and fixing, and end up breaking stuff in the process, that you are on the hook for.

People that don't know, will shell out the money and pay them, especially when they talk about "safety", show up with child seats, and they will hose you.

Got an even better one... Hyundai dealership sometime around 2008. I normally used a mom & pop for oil changes in another town at work, but this time went to the local dealership at home a day off. [While I trusted the independent shop they later proved to be an issue as well].

The Hyundai mechanic saw a young woman owner and assumed I wouldn't know anything about vehicles or tires. Came out to the waiting room with a sad look and the 'bad news' that I had a nail in the sidewall of one of my tires and would need to replace it. For safety reasons it was best that I buy four.

I insisted he show me the tire. He never suspected I knew what a sidewall was.

There was a headless nail sticking up out of the exact middle of the tread about 2". There was no plier marks and no way the car picked it up on it's own - it was 90* to the rubber surface.

I took one look at the nail and said 'pull it & plug it'

'Oh I can't do that, the tire could explode going down the highway.'

I glared and repeated 'pull it & plug it'.

'Oh you have to sign a waiver...'

'fine, pull it & plug it'

Checked my oil when I got home, it was new with a Hyundai filter on it (previous filter was aftermarket) so at least I did get an oil change. Never signed that waiver either.

And those tires ran 60k before I had to change them. (Lots of highway mileage).

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
My dealer told me last week at 3200 miles that it didn't need it yet and could go 10,000 miles - I like these guys 😎

Sponsored

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
My 2019 JLU was bought with an extended warranty, which at my dealer, gave me 8 oil changes, 12 with Jeeps free oil changes.(I know nothings free).
I also insisted full synthetic oil for my Jeep, which at the first change(2,000) my dealer said; no it requires semi-synthetic, I told them, NO, it was part of my extended warranty and if not, I don't want the warranty, guess who won?
Full synthetic, 5w-20w changes, at 3-4 thousand mile. The dealer told me that they use Pennzoil, per manufacturer!
Have you ever checked to make sure they are using full synthetic???

Maverickxeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 TJ Sport
For what it's worth - my dealership said every 8000km is where they 'like' to change it. I prefer it that way too - oil is cheap; engines are not. I have 10 years of free oil changes (well, I paid for them with the warranty - so I guess they aren't free,haha!) so as long as they are willing to do them every 8000; that's what I'll go with.

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
So, I took my Jeep to Beaman Dodge in Murfreesboro, TN for an oil change (around 8,500 miles) after getting the service alert.
Pulled in and as the service writer is getting the mileage he tells me
"You know you can't go by the service required alert for changing the oil right?"
One thing that is missing in this discussion is how often you are going off road especially in dusty conditions. Whatever gets past your air filter ends up out the back and in your oil. My Air filter is filthy but both Walmart and OReilly did not stock them yet. I did my first oil change around 4k and just did the second at 5k.

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72Bronco, 95-12v,48Cj2a,53Cj3b,52M38-v8, JlSport
Occupation
Electrician
---For Anyone Searching for Facts---
- Started with brand new 2021 JL 2.0 Turbo with 14 miles and crystal clear oil.
- Planned first oil change at 1000 miles, however still being crystal clear, I waited.
- Oil stayed clean up to 2000 miles taking on a hint of darkness, decided it was time to change.
- Life happened and didn't change until 3000 miles. At this point the oil was black with a strong odor of gasoline 😒
- Thought; "this can't be good" and did some research.
- FOUND OUT >These engines (DI/Turbo) are known to dilute the oil with gas.
- THEREFORE > Will be changing the oil and filter every 3000 miles.
- BONUS > The only oil I found to publish the approved oil specs for the Jeep 2.0 Turbo AND was easily available was Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.
Sponsored