Sponsored

Oil change frequency, dealer told me DO NOT use service required alert?

21 Willys

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys Sarge Green
So, I took my Jeep to Beaman Dodge in Murfreesboro, TN for an oil change (around 8,500 miles) after getting the service alert.
Pulled in and as the service writer is getting the mileage he tells me
"You know you can't go by the service required alert for changing the oil right?"
I said that It was my understanding that the interval was set by the type of driving you do (city/highway), mileage and how you drive (aggressive or grandmother mode)
His reply
"It's supposed to be 3k-5k miles even though it's full synthetic oil. Jeep set that up that way so that J.D. Powers shows a cheaper cost of ownership in surveys" WHAT???

My thoughts are, If Jeep tells me to change my oil at 9k (service reminder) from here on out and the engine blows, WHY would I be held responsible?
Every vehicle I've owned in the past (maybe) 15 years was set up to remind you to change the oil using the above formula.

Has anyone else been given this warning also? or is it just this PITA dealer?
On a new vehicle, I change my oil at 1,000 miles. I want to get all those loose particles from new parts out. Then I change my oil at 5,000 miles and every 5,000 miles afterwards. Easy to keep up with and in the big picture, oil is cheap.
Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Has anyone ever seen engine failure caused by regular change intervals at 5-10k, and not the obscene 15-30+ intervals that you wonder how that thing is still even running? Assuming generally regular use outside of fleet work and towing.

Curious if that is an actual credible threat and not a "well it might, better safe than sorry".

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
My service department said I would void my warranty if I did my own oil changes.....especially the first change. On top of that, if I couldn't show at least 5 receipts showing that a Jeep dealer did the work at a later date/mileage....then I would also be shit out of luck on a warranty claim. She added that using an oil change shop like a Jiffy lube would also be in violation. What would FCA advice and accept ? Seems draconian and heavy handed IMHO.

Edit....She also mentioned that the oil had to removed ahead of schedule as the factory has a break in additive. This is real shit that came out of her mouth.
Total BS. It's the opposite - a service writer I consulted with stated that the factory fill is designed to provide extra protection during break in and for me not to come back until at least 5K, if not longer. And she's in the business of selling oil changes.

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So, I took my Jeep to Beaman Dodge in Murfreesboro, TN for an oil change (around 8,500 miles) after getting the service alert.
Pulled in and as the service writer is getting the mileage he tells me
"You know you can't go by the service required alert for changing the oil right?"
I said that It was my understanding that the interval was set by the type of driving you do (city/highway), mileage and how you drive (aggressive or grandmother mode)
His reply
"It's supposed to be 3k-5k miles even though it's full synthetic oil. Jeep set that up that way so that J.D. Powers shows a cheaper cost of ownership in surveys" WHAT???

My thoughts are, If Jeep tells me to change my oil at 9k (service reminder) from here on out and the engine blows, WHY would I be held responsible?
Every vehicle I've owned in the past (maybe) 15 years was set up to remind you to change the oil using the above formula.

Has anyone else been given this warning also? or is it just this PITA dealer?
It's the dealer. Steve Jones in Dickson, TN is the best. I know it's a drive...but Paul Ellison is their Jeep guru...tell him Carl Grimes sent you.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Sweet Jesus you guys, there is NO documentation of ANY additive or NO additive put into the factory fill oil. It is standard synthetic 0w-20, as there is no dino oil labeled for 0w-20. Change your oil the first time when ever you feel the need to, but no more than 1 year/10k miles/350hrs. Don't believe the crap that service advisors are spewing.

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
On a new vehicle, I change my oil at 1,000 miles. I want to get all those loose particles from new parts out. Then I change my oil at 5,000 miles and every 5,000 miles afterwards. Easy to keep up with and in the big picture, oil is cheap.
That is EXACTLY how I do oil changes when we buy a new vehicle. I used to work in production at a Chrysler assembly plant in the 80s and those places are not exactly hospital operating room clean environments. Getting manufacturing contaminants out of the system early in the life of the engine is something I always do.

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
I used to work in production at a Chrysler assembly plant in the 80s and those places are not exactly hospital operating room clean environments.
But engine manufacturing processes have DRASTICALLY changed since then and if you’re using that experience as a guide you are way behind. Doctors used to smoke while you were in an appointment with them in the 80s as well, doesn’t make that healthy or still a thing.

It’s not an awful idea to drain the oil early, hell, I used to be a 200, 400, 750, 1000 mile change guy on new motorcycle engines and 500 and 1200 on cars but the crap you used to get out like shavings, sand, grime, grit, etc. are no longer left behind, it’s all removed beforehand. So it’s useless to do that. And break in times on modern lined cylinders is 1/10 of the time is used to be on the old cast iron sleeved engines.

There is also a lot of speculation from people that there is a “special” oil used in modern vehicles but no one has ever confirmed that. A random dealer might say there is, sometimes you get people saying their service writer said there is special oil but no one has shown the barrel of ”special” blend oil, no shop has special oil they put in after a major overhaul or engine replacement and they all just use regular oil off the shelf.

Don’t even get me going on the BS still around about not using synthetic oil early in an engines life that needed to die 15 years ago………..

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
One thing I've learned in this world.

Never trust the advice of someone with a vested interest in selling you something.

Trouble is, the internet is no better for getting legitimate advice either.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
While the service writers are the bottom feeders of dealerships, I'm a every 3,000 mile oil changer myself. Reason oil change intervals have been extended on modern vehicles is because of EPA.

Blackstone does not tell the whole tale. For example carbon buildup on direct injection engines is not indicated on a oil sample.
Your oil change place removes your intake manifold, valve covers, heads, OHC, valve springs, valve retainers, and valves and cleans the carbon buildup on the back of the valves?!! Wow - that's a good deal for $75!!

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Sweet Jesus you guys, there is NO documentation of ANY additive or NO additive put into the factory fill oil. It is standard synthetic 0w-20, as there is no dino oil labeled for 0w-20. Change your oil the first time when ever you feel the need to, but no more than 1 year/10k miles/350hrs. Don't believe the crap that service advisors are spewing.
I don't know. When I got my Jeep, I asked them to not remove any stickers or protective coverings.

First time I went to change my own oil, there was a tag on the oil cap that said, "DEALER - REMOVE BEFORE DELIVERY! Removal of this tag will activate magical particles suspended in the oil that encourage proper part mating, minimize break-in wear, and make the engine sound 117.3% cooler on test drives."

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
As I wait for delivery on my Wrangler, my current vehicle is a VW Tiguan... European, 2.0, direct injection, turbo engine. The manual said to change the oil every 10K miles. That engine also had a known problem with the timing chain tensioner losing tension and destroying the engine. The people that had the most problems were the ones that waited til 10K miles or more to change the oil. People that changed it every 7500 miles had very few problems. Turbo engines burn hot... long intervals develop sludge problems... I now have 161K miles and still runs very well... no check engine lights or anything. Now that it's high mileage, I'm now changing it every 5K miles.

It's your vehicle... do what you want... but I'm sticking to 7,500 mile intervals. Oil, tires, and brakes are all things I believe you shouldn't cheap out on. And be sure to change your brake fluid every two years.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
My service department said I would void my warranty if I did my own oil changes.....especially the first change. On top of that, if I couldn't show at least 5 receipts showing that a Jeep dealer did the work at a later date/mileage....then I would also be shit out of luck on a warranty claim. She added that using an oil change shop like a Jiffy lube would also be in violation. What would FCA advice and accept ? Seems draconian and heavy handed IMHO.
Holy crap! That's plain illegal! https://petroleumservicecompany.com/blog/how-the-magnusson-moss-warranty-act-protects-you/

this act allows you to change your own oil and not void your warranty.

Plus they need to prove that your negligence caused the problem. Let's say you don't change the oil, but your rear end goes bad, the dealer still has to fix that because the lack of oil changes did not impact the rear end.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I am not advocating how frequently you should change your oil, but I will say you shouldn't trust that service advisor at all. If I were you I would try find somewhere else for service

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
As I wait for delivery on my Wrangler, my current vehicle is a VW Tiguan... European, 2.0, direct injection, turbo engine. The manual said to change the oil every 10K miles. That engine also had a known problem with the timing chain tensioner losing tension and destroying the engine. The people that had the most problems were the ones that waited til 10K miles or more to change the oil. People that changed it every 7500 miles had very few problems. Turbo engines burn hot... long intervals develop sludge problems... I now have 161K miles and still runs very well... no check engine lights or anything. Now that it's high mileage, I'm now changing it every 5K miles.

It's your vehicle... do what you want... but I'm sticking to 7,500 mile intervals. Oil, tires, and brakes are all things I believe you shouldn't cheap out on. And be sure to change your brake fluid every two years.
Do any of the JL offerings employ hydraulic tensioners?
Sponsored