Sponsored

Oil change frequency, dealer told me DO NOT use service required alert?

MaxD

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Maintenance Manager
So, I took my Jeep to Beaman Dodge in Murfreesboro, TN for an oil change (around 8,500 miles) after getting the service alert.
Pulled in and as the service writer is getting the mileage he tells me
"You know you can't go by the service required alert for changing the oil right?"
I said that It was my understanding that the interval was set by the type of driving you do (city/highway), mileage and how you drive (aggressive or grandmother mode)
His reply
"It's supposed to be 3k-5k miles even though it's full synthetic oil. Jeep set that up that way so that J.D. Powers shows a cheaper cost of ownership in surveys" WHAT???

My thoughts are, If Jeep tells me to change my oil at 9k (service reminder) from here on out and the engine blows, WHY would I be held responsible?
Every vehicle I've owned in the past (maybe) 15 years was set up to remind you to change the oil using the above formula.

Has anyone else been given this warning also? or is it just this PITA dealer?
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
So, I took my Jeep to Beaman Dodge in Murfreesboro, TN for an oil change (around 8,500 miles) after getting the service alert.
"You know you can't go by the service required alert for changing the oil right?"
I said that It was my understanding that the interval was set by the type of driving you do (city/highway), mileage and how you drive (aggressive or grandmother mode)
His reply
"It's supposed to be 3k-5k miles even though it's full synthetic oil. Jeep set that up that way so that J.D. Powers shows a cheaper cost of ownership in surveys" WHAT???

My thoughts are, If Jeep tells me to change my oil at 9k (service reminder) from here on out and the engine blows, WHY would I be held responsible?
Every vehicle I've owned in the past (maybe) 15 years was set up to remind you to change the oil using the above formula.

I'm quite sure I trust both the Jeep computer and the owners manual before I listened to a guy who was changing tires prior to their current job.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I could be wrong, but I tend to disbelieve your service writer is being truthful. I believe he’s telling you a myth that has been disproven by thousands of oil analyses since it first appeared in the 1970’s - the 3000 mile oil change interval. He’s trying to sell you more oil changes that you don’t need. It’s quite common. Look around the forum for dozens of posts by owners who change it every 3000, 4000, or 5000 miles as “cheap insurance” against premature engine wear or damage.

The truth is, it’s simply not necessary. Even if you were to exceed 10,000 miles on your oil change intervals, you would not cause any extra wear on the engine so long as you’re using the correct oil and there’s no external contaminants introduced into the oil supply. Rock on using the indicator if you like, and don’t trust your service writer’s word on anything from here on.

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
As long as you're not going 10,000+ miles and you can prove it your warranty cannot be denied. The manual lists that as the absolute maximum miles between oil changes.

Oil analysis on synthetic oils has continuously shown that at 5,000 miles the oil is in great shape with lots of detergents and anti-wear package remaining. You can go 7,500 and be fine.

Sponsored

CorvZ061

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
If you’re concerned send a sample to Blackstone for testing. Any decent quality synthetic is good for 7500 miles minimum. Some claim they’re good for more. The. Only one to watch out for is Amsoil, they claim 20k mile interval on some oils, but in the small print it tells you to change the filter along the way. That not saying it’s not a good oil, because it is, just have to change the filter half way. On the 3.6 it’s relatively mess free and super easy to do. On a engine with a spin on filter it’s messy and you lose over a quart of oil on the filter change so might as well just change the oil.

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
His reply

As others have said he’s full of it and trying to get you in for more frequent service. I’d be suspect of their service department at this point.

Turbomark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport Altitude
I'll probably do my first oil change at 3k miles. I'm at 1,200 miles now. After that, at least 5k intervals.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
While the service writers are the bottom feeders of dealerships, I'm a every 3,000 mile oil changer myself. Reason oil change intervals have been extended on modern vehicles is because of EPA.

Blackstone does not tell the whole tale. For example carbon buildup on direct injection engines is not indicated on a oil sample.

Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
...It was my understanding that the interval was set by the type of driving you do (city/highway), mileage and how you drive (aggressive or grandmother mode)
It's basically a cumulative count of engine revolutions. There are multipliers applied to the rev count under harsh conditions like very high temperatures, e.g. instead of one revolution added to the rev count, there are 1.025 revs added for every one rev. (That's just a made-up multiplication factor, for example, I dunno what the real number is.)

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
A team of engineers at FCA that completed thousands of hours of testing and probably as many writing the algorithm and designing an array of sensors to develop the oil change indicator is rolling their eyes reading some of these comments. You're wasting time, money and resources short-scheduling oil changes. Trust the tech and the fact that tighter engine tolerances and improved machining and assembly techniques reduce the likelihood of contaminants from entering the engine.

If you're worried about engine wear, put your focus on the air filter which often gets ignored, especially, after dusty driving.

95YJ

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, 2017 Cherokee TH, 2020 JGC Overland
I had the opposite happen to me. The dealership where I bought my vehicle told me that I wouldn't need to change the oil nearly as often and could use the indicator in my vehicle, which would go between 8k-10k before alerting me. But I spoke with several friends who are also mechanics and they all told me I'd be a fool if I went that long on oil changes, even with synthetic. They weren't trying to make money off of me, they were giving their honest opinion and trying to save me from destroying a $60k investment. I will happily continue with my 5K intervals to be on the safe side.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer

"It's supposed to be 3k-5k miles even though it's full synthetic oil. Jeep set that up that way so that J.D. Powers shows a cheaper cost of ownership in surveys"
We used to say "Data talks, bullshit walks". Ask you dealer to provide data (documentation) to support the service advisor's statement.

I'll wait. :)