Sponsored

Oil change frequency, dealer told me DO NOT use service required alert?

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I doubt the onboard vehicle oil monitors are more than either an LED measuring how much light passes through the oil or more likely they work like the MPG meter and use time and rpm and just do statistical math without measuring anything.
The oil monitor is a glorified hour meter; the service signal will occur at different mileages depending on the kind of driving you do. In no way does it actually measure anything regarding the condition of the oil itself.

I assume everyone involved in the oil change process is a crook --prove me wrong!-- and I just take it as a matter of course that the oil and filter are not as good as advertised and/or sold as, and I assume the MFR's recommended change interval is stretched.

All that said, I change the oil & filter with full synthetic myself at the 50% mark, which for me conveniently comes around once a year.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Tyler-98-W68

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe, 2022 Rubicon 4xe
The oil monitor is a glorified hour meter; the service signal will occur at different mileages depending on the kind of driving you do. In no way does it actually measure anything regarding the condition of the oil itself.

I assume everyone involved in the oil change process is a crook --prove me wrong!-- and I just take it as a matter of course that the oil and filter are not as good as advertised and/or sold as, and I assume the MFR's recommended change interval is stretched.

All that said, I change the oil & filter with full synthetic myself at the 50% mark, which for me conveniently comes around once a year.

Totally wrong if it was a glorified hour meter what's with all these parameters

The automatic oil change indication system, at least on my 4xe has a TON of parameters you can monitor (which i'm doing) and trying to track down the parameters which cause FORM (fuel oil refresh mode) if anyone has J-Scan they can look at a lot of the variables. It way more than an LED, but it's not like the PCM would lie about stuff like that. But i'm curious look at the video below and tell me?

Maverickxeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 TJ Sport
Totally wrong if it was a glorified hour meter what's with all these parameters
Old thread - but I accidentally reset my oil life indicator (with old oil). It just restarted at 100% and hasn't 'adjusted' to what it should really be at. I'm a little less confident in the actual 'monitoring' of the OLM now.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Old thread - but I accidentally reset my oil life indicator (with old oil). It just restarted at 100% and hasn't 'adjusted' to what it should really be at. I'm a little less confident in the actual 'monitoring' of the OLM now.
You donā€™t seem to understand what the oil life monitor is. There is no oil quality sensor, such a thing does not exist. It is a timer, first and foremost, with a variable rate of decrease. The rate at which the percentage decreases changes based on several other parameters, including ambient and engine temperature, rpm, calculated load, etc.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
...."You know you can't go by the service required alert for changing the oil right?"....
I stopped worrying about intervals when we got a BMW 3 series many years ago. The non-turbo 6 oil change was recommended at 15,000 miles! BMW went to turbo 4s in 2012 and dropped the recommendation to 10,000 miles. Some Porsche's are at 20,000 mile intervals! I still change our Jeep at 5k, but I do think that's overkill.

Reactions: AFD

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
I have a 2.0 XR with approx. 8,200 miles.
I use Penzoil Platinum and changed my oil at approx. 850, 2,150, 4,950 and 7,750 intervals.l and will go with 3,000 mile intervals here on out.
No rhyme or reason.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I have a 2.0 XR with approx. 8,200 miles.
I use Penzoil Platinum and changed my oil at approx. 850, 2,150, 4,950 and 7,750 intervals.l and will go with 3,000 mile intervals here on out.
No rhyme or reason.

Iā€™m with you. I use the Penzoil Platinum and do every 3,000 oil change. Yes Iā€™m probably wasting money, but I feel like Iā€™m taking very good care of the engine.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Many years ago I read a report where a guy tested Amsoil synthetic vs Mobil 1 synthetic in a Camaro V8 350 testing with Blackstone Labs every 1,000 miles. Mobil 1 made it to 15,000 miles before needing to be changed, the Amsoil did not go the distance.

Anyone that says to change synthetic in 3k to 5k miles is nuts

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Many years ago I read a report where a guy tested Amsoil synthetic vs Mobil 1 synthetic in a Camaro V8 350 testing with Blackstone Labs every 1,000 miles. Mobil 1 made it to 15,000 miles before needing to be changed, the Amsoil did not go the distance.

Anyone that says to change synthetic in 3k to 5k miles is nuts
Was that Camaro V8 350 a DI engine?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
None of the oil life monitors actually monitor the condition or quality of the oil. They are simply timers that take into account miles driven, trip distance, elapsed time, etc. That's why they have to be reset manually when you change the oil. The timer starts counting down again from there.

If you reset it midway through your oil change interval, then it's lost any value until you reset it back to 100% at your next oil change.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Iā€™m with you. I use the Penzoil Platinum and do every 3,000 oil change. Yes Iā€™m probably wasting money, but I feel like Iā€™m taking very good care of the engine.
I do the same with our wranglers. Oil and filters are cheap. Plus we keep ours long term. If others like to run higher mileage, then go for itā€¦..

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
If you're that worried about some mumbo jumbo oil life indicator, change the oil right now and reset the OLI. Problem solved.

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I do the same with our wranglers. Oil and filters are cheap. Plus we keep ours long term. If others like to run higher mileage, then go for itā€¦..
Same here. $50-$70 every 3,000 miles is cheap for my piece of mind.
Sponsored