Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

No shame. Sometimes you need someone else to do work on a car.

If it was my Jeep, I'd try to stay calm, but firmly ask for:

1. A diagnosis/inspection by a qualified Jeep dealer (plus tow)​
2. An undercarriage and engine bay cleaning. They may need to replace the accessory drive belt and clean pulleys if they are soaked in oil.​
3. An oil analysis to determine any metal contamination in the remaining oil--the Jeep dealer can send it off.​
4. Replacement of under-hood insulation if it's also soaked in oil.​
All that is probably wishful thinking, and I'm guessing you'll get a free oil change and a wipe down, and "it's fine!". In reality, it probably IS fine as I believe these have a shutdown mechanism.

Future tip...give it a look-see before pulling out of the parking lot when people do basic maintenance. Those folks generally aren't highly-paid, they are usually hustling all day, and the probability of mistakes during a simple procedure goes way up!

Anecdotal story: My father had this same thing happen to him at a Chrysler dealer on a brand new minivan. First oil change. Dealer wiped it up and said bring it back if it has problems. Never did, over 150k miles before he sold it.
Fantastic response.

+1 on the UOA, black stone labs makes this a painless process. It will tell you more about what’s actually going on in your engine without having to do a teardown.
Sponsored

Bandit59

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I took my Jeep to one of the national tire/oil change places because I needed to get it done quickly and it was convenient... Yeah, yeah, I know...

Anyway, on my drive home, I got a check engine light and low oil pressure warning and noticed some white smoke in my rearview mirrors. The oil pressure started to drop and by the time I got home it was at 4-5psi. When I opened the hood, there was oil sprayed everywhere and was dripping from the underside the whole length of the Jeep. It turns out the filter cap was only hand tight and the filter was not connected to the cap. The filter did not come out with the cap... and the dipstick was dry...

I called the shop and they sent a tow truck to bring it back to the shop and they will take a look at it in the AM. We'll see what they say - I plan to be there when they start working on it...

Could a loose filter cap cause that much oil to escape in a 15 minute drive? What should my next steps be with the shop?
sorry to hear about this. But I have a 23 Wrangler with a 3.6. It maintains 30 psi
4-5 pounds is not enough at any speed to save it. I do believe there will be engine damage. If don’t show now it will on down the road. They owe you a engine. I live in Nashville also. Other than the dealer I don’t know where I would take it. When the light came on should have parked it then

Rod Clermont

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler sport
Occupation
Real Estate sales 47 years
I took my Jeep to one of the national tire/oil change places because I needed to get it done quickly and it was convenient... Yeah, yeah, I know...

Anyway, on my drive home, I got a check engine light and low oil pressure warning and noticed some white smoke in my rearview mirrors. The oil pressure started to drop and by the time I got home it was at 4-5psi. When I opened the hood, there was oil sprayed everywhere and was dripping from the underside the whole length of the Jeep. It turns out the filter cap was only hand tight and the filter was not connected to the cap. The filter did not come out with the cap... and the dipstick was dry...

I called the shop and they sent a tow truck to bring it back to the shop and they will take a look at it in the AM. We'll see what they say - I plan to be there when they start working on it...

Could a loose filter cap cause that much oil to escape in a 15 minute drive? What should my next steps be with the shop?
This happen to me and what it was is the oil filer (top mounted 2021 Wrangle) was over tighten and that caused the oil filer seal to split. 5 quarts leaked out just like yours. Only holds 5.5 quarts. The dealer extended my warranty and not apparent problem so far. Make sure it's not over tightened.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
It's the 3.6. The invoice indicates they put 4.95 quarts in.

The dipstick had oil on it when I initially pulled it out. When I wiped it an put it back in, it came out dry.
There is a reason why they use a Red light on the dash to notify you of low oil - pressure. WHY? Because when the red light comes on, BEST thing you can do it hit the go pedal and try to get a bit nearer your destination, because you engine is TOAST.

4-5 psi means a LOT of air is being sucked into the system and that SUCKS. NOIT sure how far you drove, but at BEST you have significantly shorten the life of your engine.

DO NOT let the blow smoke up your razz that ohhh it will ok, yea, ok today, tomorrow not so much.

You first indication will prob be knocking sounds, from the piston rods, clicking from OHV. you now have a real 100k mi engine, don't expect to drive much further.

OP
OP

Jaybird98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKL Willys
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

When I went in this morning they ended up putting in 4qts to get it to register on the dipstick... Oil pressure this AM was 1psi... Then they drained out all of that oil and added 5qts and a new filter. The cap was tightened to spec. The manager was upset with his tech and that the tech did not follow procedures.

They offered me a free oil change and to pressure wash the undercarriage... no thanks...

I'll keep you posted. I am getting some professional advice on how to proceed.

Sponsored

Parker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLURD
Occupation
40 year telecom tech, now Happily Retired!
The dipstick only shows the -4th and 5th (or 6th if the dealer did it) quart of oil. So if you are 2 quarts or more low the dipstick will be dry, but the oil pan isn’t necessarily empty. But if you had white tailpipe smoke and readings of 4-5psi I think there is likely significant damage.
He saw white smoke in the rear view mirrors. Most likely from oil on the exhaust header pipes.

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager

When I went in this morning they ended up putting in 4qts to get it to register on the dipstick... Oil pressure this AM was 1psi... Then they drained out all of that oil and added 5qts and a new filter. The cap was tightened to spec. The manager was upset with his tech and that the tech did not follow procedures.

They offered me a free oil change and to pressure wash the undercarriage... no thanks...

After they changed your oil again I assume you are driving it. How does it run? Any knocking or ticking or wierd noises or new sounds?

Stetson

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
It's the 3.6. The invoice indicates they put 4.95 quarts in.

The dipstick had oil on it when I initially pulled it out. When I wiped it an put it back in, it came out dry.
That happens quite often when the wife is over 50

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer

I would definitely get this documented and checked by the dealer. Especially because you drove it with basically no oil in it, there’s a chance some damage was done internally.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I use the same oil change place i am usually standing over there shoulder and back in 18 had to remind them 2 times to only put 5 qts of oil. That being said when Jeep tried to crawfish on my engine replacement (cams washed out) I went to oil change place and had them print out history of all oil changes. That stopped them immediately after seeing 3k to 3.5k intervals. I just ignore the sign saying please wait in waiting room.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe a dumb question, but does the Wrangler not have a basic "limp mode" or an auto-shutdown mechanism to protect itself
Some times the organic sensor behind the wheel errors out and doesn't shut it down.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
That sucks! Doug Smith dealership did similar with my WK2.

Sounds like you're driving it now. Also sounds like shop manager patted you on the head and sent you on your way. Fxxk them!

Have you contacted your insurance carrier? Do so. Also, contact the shop manager and get their insurance info. Contact them, too and initiate a claim. They should provide you with a loaner vehicle while the status of yours is unknown. Any and all work at a dealer or certified shop should be covered by them. Flat bed tow to the new shop also covered. Clean up work included to both the vehicle and your driveway/garage.

Get your Jeep to a different, reputable shop, preferably a Jeep or Ram dealer. Explain what happened, and ask for an inspection/assessmemt.

As others suggest, a Blackstone or equivalent oil analysis is also recommended.

Good luck, OP!

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon

Absolutely a loose cap and improper filter install could cause exactly what you had happened. I'd also have checked to see if they replaced the rubber seal that is applied to the filter cap during the change. Every time I change my oil I probably check things 3-4 times to make sure everything is right then I start the ride and watch the oil pressure, just to be certain.
Sponsored