First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
just looking for some input. i have 2700 mile on the jl and just did a 1800 mile road trip about 2 weeks ago. i'll be heading out for another 1800 mile road trip in 10 days. after this trip i will have approx 4700 miles on the jeep. would this be any issue since i have not done the first oil change yet. i figure at 3000 miles i'd do the first oil change. so should i do an oil change berore or after the trip. the jeep shows 71% oil life.
Sponsored

mtnbikeracer76

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Cherokee , 2008 HHR SS
Occupation
Warehouse
Follow the maintenance minder. Go on your trip and then change it when you get home.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
WHS^^^
And I'd highly recommend doing the oil change yourself if you don't mind DIY stuff, this JL is the easiest vehicle I've ever had regarding oil changes (and I've done hundreds) just way too many dealer screw-ups regarding this (in case you haven't heard) :)

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
WHS^^^
And I'd highly recommend doing the oil change yourself if you don't mind DIY stuff, this JL is the easiest vehicle I've ever had regarding oil changes (and I've done hundreds) just way too many dealer screw-ups regarding this (in case you haven't heard) :)
i've heard the dealership foul ups. i can do it myself. i also have a mechanic that is a big jeep fan. he worked on my past jeep and others. so no problem here.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
is maintenminder the data info on the gauge cluster.
Yes, the screen that starts w/ the TPMS info, toggle over to the oil life screen. IMO I'd change it before it gets to the 10% left. At the rate mine's been going I think it's due for a change at 9000 miles but I'll be changing it at 7000 mile intervals since it's so easy and cheap, lol.

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
ok thanks for the clarification. mine is at 71%. i think i'll wait to do the first oil change after this road trip.. that will hold me thu the winter, until the next change in january.

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
just looking for some input. i have 2700 mile on the jl and just did a 1800 mile road trip about 2 weeks ago. i'll be heading out for another 1800 mile road trip in 10 days. after this trip i will have approx 4700 miles on the jeep. would this be any issue since i have not done the first oil change yet. i figure at 3000 miles i'd do the first oil change. so should i do an oil change berore or after the trip. the jeep shows 71% oil life.
Always do the first oil change before 3k. After that you can do it around 5k but really depends on driving habits. I always change mine at 3k regardless what the vehicle tells me.

mtnbikeracer76

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Cherokee , 2008 HHR SS
Occupation
Warehouse
There is no need to change the oil at 3k. I've always followed the maintenance minder on my vehicles without any issues. On my wife's 2018 Cherokee, this equates to around 7k. If you follow the maintenance minder, which is close to what the owners manual says, there won't be any warranty problems.

I know that a lot of people say to get the break in oil out, but unless it's a custom built high performance engine, break in oil is not required nor used.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
While I agree that there is no need, I like to change my oil at 1K for my own peace of mind.My opinion for the OP would be to go ahead and change it now, and reset the oil life. Then you know its good vs wondering.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It's not gonna make any difference one way or another over the life of your jeep. As Yoda said: "Do or do not..."

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm the same way with you guys. i get the oil change at 3k miles. sometimes i run it to 3500 but not more than 4k miles and thats due to getting time to change it or weather conflict. this would be the first oil change for the jeep and just didnt want to change it now and rack up more miles (approx. 2000 road trip coming up) that would require another change in a short time. plus if i plan it right i wouldnt have to worry about the 2nd change till jan. of 2020. since i dont rack up a whole lot of miles in the time frame. as for my driving habits, i'm pretty easy and not hard on the motor. i do about 120 - 150 miles a week.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I just did my first oil change today at 2 K miles. I would change the oil plus you will have one less worry to think about on your vacation.

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i changed it awhile ago after the road trip in sept.
Sponsored