Sponsored

Oil change at dealership warning

Shift Happens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Used my free oil change(not the three free Jeep wave oil changes) at the dealership I purchased from in Mount Airy NC. I specifically asked the service advisor to make sure they put the correct MS-12991 spec oil in.
When I got the paperwork back I noticed they put in Rotella T6. I pointed it out to the service advisor who looked at me like I had 6 heads.
I had to go through about 45min of explaining(mostly just waiting for people to talk to) to the service department and the parts department what I was talking about.
Everyone at the dealership was super nice, weren't ignoring my concerns and genuinely seemed to want to make it right, but they had no idea the spec requirements for the oil. The guy at the parts department I spoke with called other dealerships in the area and they all said the same thing, that they used Rotella t6 for all the jeep diesels and have never had a problem....
Personally, I like Rotella t6 and have used it in all of my diesel vehicles. But, if Jeep says a spec is required, and Rotella t6 doesn't meet that spec requirement then I don't think it should be used.

So, just a warning to everyone to be extra vigilant if you use the dealership for your free oil changes.
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Given the average competence of dealership service departments, I opted to skip the free oil changes so I knew it was done right.

OP
OP

Shift Happens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I was considering the same but 4 free oil changes was tempting considering they're so expensive.
I'm just glad I checked and made sure it got done correctly and now I know to keep on top of them for the next ones.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I was considering the same but 4 free oil changes was tempting considering they're so expensive.
I'm just glad I checked and made sure it got done correctly and now I know to keep on top of them for the next ones.
I get it. Oil changes aren't cheap. But sometimes free just costs too much.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shift Happens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
heh, speaking of that. I was getting reminders to come in and use my oil changes before I had even gone 2k miles.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
This is why, I have always done my own engine oil and filter change. I just don't trust the Dealer's Lube Department.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Doing it your self for $40 or so every six months or so, $100 for the diesel, isn't all that pricey. I can do it at home in 20 minutes, as I usually have the oil and filters already. Otherwise, I have to spend at least 30 minutes driving to the nearest dealer, then wait for an hour or so, then drive at least 30 minutes home. I enjoy do the work and don't have to deal of with the aggravation of making the trip and then double checking their work.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shift Happens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Where do you get your oil and filter from?
Best prices I've found, the filter is $75 on its own not including shipping and each qt is $10, also not including shipping.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I've been to that dealership in Mount Airy. They are very nice and do actually seem to care. I will drive the extra distance to use them over North Point in Winston-Salem. I can't testify on their service dept since I've only dealt with them when buying a car and used them to get my bubbling paint issues resolved. I change my own oil after the North Pount dealership stripped my oil plug out and covered my engine in oil and it almost caught on fire.

Dealerships in general mostly fail when it comes to oil changes. Wrong oil, too much oil, no oil, oil spilled all over, stripped oil plug head or a loose oil plug.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Dealerships in general mostly fail when it comes to oil changes. Wrong oil, too much oil, no oil, oil spilled all over, stripped oil plug head or a loose oil plug.
Couldn't agree more. Yet members still love those "free" oil changes.

ColoJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 Rubicon
I had the exact same problem. I eventually got the dealer to change it out, but it took a couple discussions first. The provided a receipt after the oil was changed, but I've always wondered if they just took it back to the shop for about a half hour, printed a new receipt, and just left the Rotella in there. I just don't trust them to do the right thing and there's no way to prove it.
Sponsored