Sponsored

Oil change at dealer. 5 vs 6 quarts. Not a repeat thread. LOOK!

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Compare your dipstick to one on the lot that has the oil at the top of the hash marks. They may be different lengths.
You know Rubicon dipsticks are longer, right? Slightly thicker too....
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, and you answered that in your 5th point. I couldn't remember as I've only done one oil change so far on ours since we're at ~6K miles.

The rest of your response didn't make sense to a seemingly simple question. I thought you got my question confused with someone else's. Apparently, you thought I was challenging you rather than asking for simple clarification.

Whatever.
Nope, didn't think it was a challenge :)
Simply thought I'd capture the whole process in case anyone cared... lol.

Sponsored

lsp408

First Name
Li
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUS
After start up for a bit, you need to wait a bit to check oil level.

I check next morning and always at top of the safe zone.

5 quarts is the correct amount.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Jolene got her first oil change tonight at about 2800 miles. Drained, changed filter, and filled with a 5 qt jug of Penzoil PP 0w20. Cranked and ran for 3-4 minutes. Shut off, waited 5 minutes and checked the oil multiple times. Only showing about 1/3 of the way up the crosshatch. I thought omg @mgroeger is gonna love this. Waited about 30 minutes and checked it again, guess what? Top of the crosshatch.
Guess it just takes a bit longer for all the oil to drain back to the pan.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jolene got her first oil change tonight at about 2800 miles. Drained, changed filter, and filled with a 5 qt jug of Penzoil PP 0w20. Cranked and ran for 3-4 minutes. Shut off, waited 5 minutes and checked the oil multiple times. Only showing about 1/3 of the way up the crosshatch. I thought omg @mgroeger is gonna love this. Waited about 30 minutes and checked it again, guess what? Top of the crosshatch.
Guess it just takes a bit longer for all the oil to drain back to the pan.
LOL!
I've done the same thing and it wasn't even on the dipstick. I darn near had a panic attack, waited and it was right where it should be. I don't quite get that little mystery because how can it go from nothing on one check and perfect 30 seconds later. Regardless it's always where it should be :)

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
My last oil change, I stood over the mechanic and made sure he only put in 5 quarts. Pulled the dipstick and it showed about half way up the safe zone because the new oil has not yet circulated from running the vehicle. Drove it home, let it sit 10 minutes, checked the dip stick again and it was perfect. Its amazing this class of vehicles has been out for 2 years now and FCA and the dealer network still can't get something as simple as the proper oil change correct. Thats all you need to know about the quality of this company...... but we all keep shelling our 45K - 50k for this great experience.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So any ideas what would cause it to be right in the middle when filled with 5 quarts? I know the gun wasnt off.
It probably wasn't warm enough. I checked mine cold once and it was in the middle. I later checked it with the proper procedure, (full operating temp, five minutes after shutoff) and it was at the top of the safe zone, right where it should be.

I've now done about 3 or 4 oil changes. Works every time with 1 5 quart jug, no matter if it is Pennzoil or Mobil 1. The next one is due any time. I'm at 5k miles right now. Might change it today. Might give it another 1k to 2k.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It probably wasn't warm enough. I checked mine cold once and it was in the middle. I later checked it with the proper procedure, (full operating temp, five minutes after shutoff) and it was at the top of the safe zone, right where it should be.

I've now done about 3 or 4 oil changes. Works every time with 1 5 quart jug, no matter if it is Pennzoil or Mobil 1. The next one is due any time. I'm at 5k miles right now. Might change it today. Might give it another 1k to 2k.
Hmmmm... I've never heard about checking oil at operating temp... transmission fluid yes, oil no. Tranny fluid significantly expands when hot, oil not so much.
I've read it cold, hot, luke warm, temped, chilly, freezing, boiling, 58.3 degrees, 98.6 degrees and everywhere in between and it's ALWAYS been the same... top of the hash. :)
Actually this goes for every vehicle I've owned for the past 30 years. I have never once seen it read differently based on the temp of the engine. As long as all of that oil has drained down into the pan it read the same.

Now you could calculate the Volumetric Expansion of oil using it's volumetric coefficient of expansion number of .00039 using the formula below. BUT be careful since that coefficient is ONLY for UNUSED oil!!! This means you will need to recalculate this expansion every week using a different coefficient since it will change as the oil ages. Now I can't give you everything so you will need to go figure out that coefficient yourself.

OR one could simply use the 5 QT jug, OR go to a dealer who knows what the heck they are doing, and call it a day :)

upload_2019-8-25_9-14-2.png

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

I've noticed I get two readings on the dipstick at times. One side will show oil is where it should be and the other shows halfway. If I spin the dipstick then remove it I get the correct measurement.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmm... I've never heard about checking oil at operating temp... transmission fluid yes, oil no. Tranny fluid significantly expands when hot, oil not so much.
I've read it cold, hot, luke warm, temped, chilly, freezing, boiling, 58.3 degrees, 98.6 degrees and everywhere in between and it's ALWAYS been the same... top of the hash. :)
Actually this goes for every vehicle I've owned for the past 30 years. I have never once seen it read differently based on the temp of the engine. As long as all of that oil has drained down into the pan it read the same.

Now you could calculate the Volumetric Expansion of oil using it's volumetric coefficient of expansion number of .00039 using the formula below. BUT be careful since that coefficient is ONLY for UNUSED oil!!! This means you will need to recalculate this expansion every week using a different coefficient since it will change as the oil ages. Now I can't give you everything so you will need to go figure out that coefficient yourself.

OR one could simply use the 5 QT jug, OR go to a dealer who knows what the heck they are doing, and call it a day :)

upload_2019-8-25_9-14-2.png
It isn't about expansion. It is about where it is in the engine.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed I get two readings on the dipstick at times. One side will show oil is where it should be and the other shows halfway. If I spin the dipstick then remove it I get the correct measurement.
That reminds me of another thing. Folks need to make absolutely sure the dipstick is fully seated when checking it. Not saying you didn't do that, but I have caught myself many times in my many years making that very mistake.
Sponsored