Sponsored

Oil change at dealer. 5 vs 6 quarts. Not a repeat thread. LOOK!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Middle is not mint. Middle means you are not at the capacity the engine was designed for so if a leak or burning were to develop you are already low and may go to low. Why would you run 4.5 qts of oil in an engine that was engineered to hold 5 qts.?
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Subies are pretty well known for burning oil anyway, but I'm not sure how they design their engines. I know FCA has a directive that ALL of theirs must pass all tests either 1 quart high or 1 quart low, and anywhere in between.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
So if a tech puts 6 quarts in - what will happen?

I'm asking as someone who never checks after I have an oil change...

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Listen guys. All you have to do is at your oil change(yourself), put five quarts of oil and new filter in the 3.6 and check the dip stick. It should be at the top of the zone not the middle. If not at top it’s the dip stick length or incorrect mounting of stick to motor. Wait 30 minutes after oil and filter change before you check the level. Five quarts only. Read your manual.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So if a tech puts 6 quarts in - what will happen?

I'm asking as someone who never checks after I have an oil change...
Nothing. It can handle six. All FCA engines were designed to run as much as a quart overfilled and pass all their test requirements. They can do it a quart low, too.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yikes! The fuel in the oil is alarming. Is it a DI engine?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Listen guys. All you have to do is at your oil change(yourself), put five quarts of oil and new filter in the 3.6 and check the dip stick. It should be at the top of the zone not the middle. If not at top it’s the dip stick length or incorrect mounting of stick to motor. Wait 30 minutes after oil and filter change before you check the level. Five quarts only. Read your manual.
@wolf

Yes, do your own oil changes. Know your dipstick, lets say but.. but...
but, why even bother to check the dipstick after you just poured in 5 qts. of oil to a JL you just drained the oil out of.... no reason to at all. 5 qts. poured in, is 5 qts. in there.. what else would you expect to see..

Last edited:

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-Door
Jeep Wrangler JL Oil change at dealer.  5 vs 6 quarts.  Not a repeat thread.  LOOK! 3A8927DE-1136-441A-8BD9-ED88C2735A30

not just us, this one is fresh off the dealer lot. But this one is too fancy to even have a dip stick. I guess no one knows how to change oil.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

The dipstick is very hard to read once it is above full. I just checked my oil change receipt on a whim and sure enough, it states they put 6 quarts in. The oil is just above the bullet part of the dipstick, about 1/4" above full. When I looked at it several times, I thought it was much higher, but my garage was dark. Took it to the dealer and two techs stated that it was just above full and I should not worry about it. Apparently their excuse is that because it takes 5.2 quarts they bill for 6. Not sure what to believe.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JeepinJason33

From FCA press release when they introduced the 2nd Gen Pentastar...

"Windage-tray weight was slashed by 19 percent and front-cover weight was cut by 5 percent. *The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill *– resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

@JeepinJason33

From FCA press release when they introduced the 2nd Gen Pentastar...

"Windage-tray weight was slashed by 19 percent and front-cover weight was cut by 5 percent. *The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill *– resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."
I know it is supposed to be 5 quarts, what I mean is I am not sure whether they are giving me a line of crap with the billing of 6 on my paperwork.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I know it is supposed to be 5 quarts, what I mean is I am not sure whether they are giving me a line of crap with the billing of 6 on my paperwork.
Sounds like it to me. It’s why I never used any of my “free” oil changes.

Jihx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Taking the opportunity to revive this old thread, as this happened to me yesterday.

Got my first oil change.. used jeep wave at the dealer near my house vs. the one I purchased from even though they have great reviews (first mistake). I don't think i'll bother using the other two after this.

I dropped it off Sunday night, as I had to work early. I went Monday after work to get it and two things immediately stuck out:

1. 6 quarts of 0w20
2. 4 tire rotation

I did not ask for a tire rotation at this point, and the fact that they didn't rotate all 5 was frustrating. I don't have the fifth on to just rot in the sun. They are going to rotate the fifth one in on the weekend.

I went out and checked the dip stick, went right back in and told them what was the issue. Thankfully they DID listen to me and drain a quart out after showing them the manual and the dipstick, but it resulted in me spending an extra hour and a half after work waiting. I could have done all of this in a fraction of the time, but thought "hey I have a few free oil changes, what the hell!".

I was chatting with another wrangler owner waiting almost two hours for his appointment and I warned him of the same thing.

How is this still happening 4 years after the release of the JL?
Sponsored