Sponsored

Oil change at dealer. 5 vs 6 quarts. Not a repeat thread. LOOK!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Should get a separate sub-forum titled Jeep dealer oil change screw-ups so we can keep the other forums focused on things that aren't so pathetic.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I must have a magical engine...
I drove from Raleigh NC to Flagstaff AZ, to Moab, to Ouray doing 5 to 6 hours of off roading each day we weren't traveling and then back to NC in a period of 3 weeks. The oil was still at the top of the hash mark after those 5k or so miles. Looks like I got one of those unicorn tight tolerance engines. This has been my experience on this Jeep for 37k miles.
Maybe you started with 6 quarts...

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Had V41 completed and first oil change. V41 went correctly. But, sure enough - they put in 6qts of oil. How is it that difficult? Think about it - their system shows this JL getting 6qts and that means that probably all JL's they service are getting 6qts. That is a lot of vehicles on the road that they are responsible for messing with.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Had V41 completed and first oil change. V41 went correctly. But, sure enough - they put in 6qts of oil. How is it that difficult? Think about it - their system shows this JL getting 6qts and that means that probably all JL's they service are getting 6qts. That is a lot of vehicles on the road that they are responsible for messing with.
Hmmmm... I thought their system was correct but the techs were going off the fact that the JK used 6 qts so they just followed suit.
What's the V41?

Sponsored

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Just got an oil change today along with the damper work. Damper was install correctly.

Oil on bill showed 6qt. Ask the service writer to confirm. They checked and was exactly at full line, meaning I got 5 qt. I double checked myself as well. Seems like the service writers aren't fully aware themselves but are starting to come around. Luckily the tech did it right the first time.

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
They screwed mine up and gave me 6 quarts not two hours ago.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Part of the problem is the dipstick is hard to read when overfilled at least it was for me

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Part of the problem is the dipstick is hard to read when overfilled at least it was for me
Definitely. When the oils fresh and on the wire it’s hard to tell
Sponsored